Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need Advice On Continuing Graduate Studies

Need Advice On Continuing Graduate Studies
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2006, 12:48 AM

All, I need some advice.

I am two classes and a thesis away from getting an M.A. in Medieval Literature . . . for fun.
But I am totally and completely burned out on my studies. I am losing interest in the subject
and that interest is the very reason why I am doing this degree. I have no plans to change
careers or pursue a Ph.D.

So, do I drop out of this semester? drop out of school altogether? or suck it up and push on
through to finish in another year?

The thing is I have a well-paying government job in the IT/multimedia field and the degree
is for personal enrichment only. I want to spend my time enjoying reading about medieval
pilgrimage practices--and to go on a pilgrimage myself--not necessarily study every little
aspect of the practice in an academic setting.

So, do I stay or do I go?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 12:56 AM

stay, you'll be glad you stuck out with it.

mindwaves
Feb 25, 2006, 12:56 AM

Stick with it. No need to finish in 1 year. Take 1 class next semester and 1 the next.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2006, 12:57 PM

Stay the course. Believe it or not, having any advanced degree, particularly one that doesn't get you an extrinsic reward (new, high paying job) is a bonus when you look for a new job. It shows that you have a strong drive to learn, and that you can stay the course. It's a good thing. And as hickey says, you'll be glad you stuck with it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2006, 01:20 PM

I agree that it would be smart to stick with your studies. It will all be worth it in the end.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 01:48 PM

You'd be an absolute fool to stop now if you're only a thesis away.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

SVass
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 01:54 PM

You must answer your own question! I once studied law in order to learn its history. I still have an old law dictionary and have an electronic copy of "Bacon on Law". My degree earned long before is in engineering and I have had no interest in others recognizing my knowledge of law with a piece of paper.

External, public recognition of accomplishments gives one a warm feeling. It does not replace other virtues necessary for your happiness. Now I cringe when I hear ignorant (or demagogic) politicians mis-cite the history of law. Hobbies are for internal satisfaction, not external plaudits. sam

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
You'd be an absolute fool to stop now if you're only a thesis away.
Two classes and a thesis away. At oen class per semester and a smester for the thesis I would not be done until Summer 2007. But I want my life back now.

While I get good grades (3.76 GPA) I am not a naturally "gifted" students. I read everything two or three times and have to take take extensive notes to refer to later. And I study up to five nights a week just for one class. I have enjoyed most all of my classes I am just tired of being a student and I am losing interest in the subject because it has become so much work. Anyway, that's my story.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Hash
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 01:58 PM

Its never good to leave something unfinished, especially research. If you burned out, take a break, forget about that, return after a year, reread the **** you wrote and you will have a fresh perspective and a new vision. And you will finish your school very easily.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Two classes and a thesis away. At oen class per semester and a smester for the thesis I would not be done until Summer 2007. But I want my life back now.

While I get good grades (3.76 GPA) I am not a naturally "gifted" students. I read everything two or three times and have to take take extensive notes to refer to later. And I study up to five nights a week just for one class. I have enjoyed most all of my classes I am just tired of being a student and I am losing interest in the subject because it has become so much work. Anyway, that's my story.
I understand how this can be a concern. However, I agree with everyone above including Hash.

One thing you need to remember is that even though you feel you are not a "gifted student", the fact that you are working so hard makes you better at a few things "gifted students" are often lacking: you are developping a method and a discipline of work for yourself. That will make quite a difference in whatever project you may work on in the future.

Regarding that method you are developping, you may consult with people about how to better manage your time. Maybe there is a way to improve on it a bit?

Anyway, I wish you success!
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2006, 02:36 PM

You don't have a life with only 1 class per semester ?
And do you need to attend them ? Just buy the damn books, learn it an screw going to class. Most professors just tell what's in the book anyway.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 04:26 PM

macdaddy -

I'd have to agree with the majority and say "push on". If you are burnt out... take a semester off. Perhapse you simply need a rest. Not sure how high up you are in the govie. But I'd imagine that a masters will go a long way if you do decide to go the SES route (regardless of if the M.A. is not related to your field); not saying its required, but definitely make you more marketable.

As a consultant looking into the Fed world from the outside, I often become a good "ear" to talk to - and the Fed does seem to weigh education heavily from what I've heard.

Besides, you're practically there. Its the hardest stretch... but nonetheless... I think you'll be extremely dissappointed in the long run should you bail. Just my .02.

Having said all that - may I ask what agency?

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
macdaddy -

I'd have to agree with the majority and say "push on". If you are burnt out... take a semester off. Perhapse you simply need a rest. Not sure how high up you are in the govie. But I'd imagine that a masters will go a long way if you do decide to go the SES route (regardless of if the M.A. is not related to your field); not saying its required, but definitely make you more marketable.

As a consultant looking into the Fed world from the outside, I often become a good "ear" to talk to - and the Fed does seem to weigh education heavily from what I've heard.

Besides, you're practically there. Its the hardest stretch... but nonetheless... I think you'll be extremely dissappointed in the long run should you bail. Just my .02.

Having said all that - may I ask what agency?
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I am WAY below the SES level. Perhaps what I consider "a well-paying government job in the IT/multimedia field" is much lower than what others consider it to be.

I am at the Smithsonian, the National Museum of the American Indian to be precise. Right now I run our exhibits AV/multimedia systems but it is a 10/7/364 operation--The Smithsonian is only closed Christmas Day--that includes some of the secondary life-safety systems for the building. We are part of the IT group as so much of our equipment is based on standard computer hardware platforms like video servers and networking devices. But I am looking into a job at an SI museum in NYC where I would run the whole IT department (which would include the exhibits group).

However, I am experienced in dealing with multi-million $$ projects and no longer blink when I spend $50,000 in a few minutes. But my annual budgets are in the five- or six-figure range whereas the Smithsonian's overall IT budget is in the low 8-figure range.

Long-term I will top out at a GS-14, or probably a GS-15, unless I decide I no longer like getting my hands dirty, only then I would consider an SES position somewhere in government.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2006, 06:22 PM

As someone who is completely done with his classes, stuck with a thesis and a lab with no funding, and a PI on sabbatical, stay the course. Believe me, I've been frustrated so many times to the point where I wanted to throw in the towel, but after 4 years and one experiment away from completing the thesis, it's not worth throwing all of that time, effort, and money away.

If your institution and department allows you, TA a class or two. Not only do you get paid, but it gives you something to do in the mean time.

I've watched many colleagues come and go, frustrated over the program and the same issues I've been facing. I'm one of the two "original" lab students still standing.

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 12:11 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I am WAY below the SES level. Perhaps what I consider "a well-paying government job in the IT/multimedia field" is much lower than what others consider it to be.

I am at the Smithsonian, the National Museum of the American Indian to be precise. Right now I run our exhibits AV/multimedia systems but it is a 10/7/364 operation--The Smithsonian is only closed Christmas Day--that includes some of the secondary life-safety systems for the building. We are part of the IT group as so much of our equipment is based on standard computer hardware platforms like video servers and networking devices. But I am looking into a job at an SI museum in NYC where I would run the whole IT department (which would include the exhibits group).

However, I am experienced in dealing with multi-million $$ projects and no longer blink when I spend $50,000 in a few minutes. But my annual budgets are in the five- or six-figure range whereas the Smithsonian's overall IT budget is in the low 8-figure range.

Long-term I will top out at a GS-14, or probably a GS-15, unless I decide I no longer like getting my hands dirty, only then I would consider an SES position somewhere in government.

Ah yes... we actually PM'd before regarding Booz. My bad - I'm brain dead sometimes.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 09:02 AM

Doing a Master's in a field unrelated to your career, just for fun? That's pretty darn cool. But I can see why motivation could flag. If it's for fun, and the fun starts to go out of it, well, that's tough.

However, if you think you can manage to finish it without any negative effects on your life, other than being tired now and then, then go for it. I suspect you will enjoy writing the thesis more than studying for the classes. Taking a semester off might be a good idea, but then you might never want to go back.

Hash
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 01:00 PM

I am wondering if the thesis could be somehow connected to his present job. That would be good.

dcmacdaddy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hash
I am wondering if the thesis could be somehow connected to his present job. That would be good.
Not likely at all. My thesis will be on medieval pilgrimage practices for women with a probable tie-in with female mystics. Or, it might just be all about female mystics.

See the "what is your computer's name thread" for more details. As a reminder, my laptop is called Margery Kempe with its hard-drive called Penitence and my back-up called Salvation.

Hash
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 04:00 PM

Change the title of thesis to "Gender and cultural aspects of information communication and transfer" and you've got something closer to your work. Study how ancient pilgrimage practices were used to dissipate information and how it differed among genders, cultures and ages and compare it to modern situation, Internet, travel and gossip marketing. You will be amazed how much in common still we have with those who lived hundred years ago.

It is because human nature does not change with technology. Only the ways to communicate change, but not the contents. Contents, especially for women, are always same - love, clothes, fashion, jewellery, so on.

Just my 2 cents.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 07:31 AM

Pretend you are in the sack with a beautiful woman who you love and who is your best friend and you have gotten your cookies but she hasn't yet and is hoping you will do her to completion.

You WOULD put forth that extra effort to help her finish, wouldn't you?

Well, don't screw yourself over by quitting now!

When I was working as an executive recruiter we only STARTED being interested in a candidate when he or she had an MBA. Below that and they were like HS grads.

The exceptions were those whose life achievements obviously transcended academic degrees.

A personal assistant to Ambassador Vernon Walters as well as another fellow who invented a new accounting protocol for Wang and who also served in the Peace Corps immediately come to mind as guys whose degrees seemed less important than their life experiences.

Get it out of the way and then you won't have that to worry about anymore. If you are going to do it, do it until you finish it.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 08:55 AM

Another year is a long time to do something that you no longer enjoy. Especially since this isn't a career oriented degree. Since this is something you did for your own pleasure I think that you should pursue it in a way that pleases you. Going on a pilgrimage is a great example of that and real life experience is for more valuable than words given to you by some pointy-headed academic.

Besides, isn't it the knowledge that is of real value, not some piece of paper that says you know something?

Sometimes we continue with things we don't want to in order to feed our egos. That is always a mistake. If you really feel like quitting do it and don't sweat it. Move on and enjoy your life.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 09:25 AM

All, I need some advice.

I am two classes and a thesis away from getting an M.A. in Medieval Literature . . . for fun.
But I am totally and completely burned out on my studies. I am losing interest in the subject
and that interest is the very reason why I am doing this degree. I have no plans to change
careers or pursue a Ph.D.

So, do I drop out of this semester? drop out of school altogether? or suck it up and push on
through to finish in another year?

The thing is I have a well-paying government job in the IT/multimedia field and the degree
is for personal enrichment only. I want to spend my time enjoying reading about medieval
pilgrimage practices--and to go on a pilgrimage myself--not necessarily study every little
aspect of the practice in an academic setting.

So, do I stay or do I go?
While it's easier to say than do, I have to say stick it out.

If you were working on a bachelor's I'd have told you to take a break, but I think you're in so deep that if you pull out now, you'll never be able to get back into the groove mentally.

Other than that, I guess you have to weigh what pursuing this means to you versus just having a life. You did say this is for your own amusement, so unless having a masters will amuse you more, you can consider walking away with no regrets.

Ask yourself this:

Do I want this masters/will it make me happy?
Is this that important to me?
Will the amount of work/time it takes be worth it in the long run?
Will having freetime to explore other avenues make me happy(er)?

Good luck.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Another year is a long time to do something that you no longer enjoy. Especially since this isn't a career oriented degree. Since this is something you did for your own pleasure I think that you should pursue it in a way that pleases you. Going on a pilgrimage is a great example of that and real life experience is for more valuable than words given to you by some pointy-headed academic.

Besides, isn't it the knowledge that is of real value, not some piece of paper that says you know something?

Sometimes we continue with things we don't want to in order to feed our egos. That is always a mistake. If you really feel like quitting do it and don't sweat it. Move on and enjoy your life.
smacintush, you present great points and argue well for that course of action.

Let me counter with this...

In my life the things I TRULY regret are not the things I DID do but those things I DIDN'T do.

And only rarely was I able to understand to what degree I'd experience that future regret when in the moment of decision.

We plant the seeds of regret with no thought to how much tending it will require nor how many acres it will inhabit.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 01:21 PM

I'd suggest staying but slowing down if possible so you can have some more time to devote to interests other than school. I know it can be tough to finish out if you don't enjoy it, but you've gotten this far and there's not so much more left to do.

On a personal note, I'm 2 months away from getting my own graduate degree (MS in Computer Science) -- I can't wait to be done either!
( Last edited by itai195; Feb 27, 2006 at 06:39 PM. )

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
smacintush, you present great points and argue well for that course of action.

Let me counter with this...

In my life the things I TRULY regret are not the things I DID do but those things I DIDN'T do.

And only rarely was I able to understand to what degree I'd experience that future regret when in the moment of decision.
Oh I understand and do agree. I think you stated what would be the dilemma for me: We often don't know what we will regret until it's too late.

I would add that usually when I have regretted something that I haven't done, it is because I had invented this idea in my head that my life would somehow have been "better" or "more fulfilled" had I done it, which is also unknowable.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Oh I understand and do agree. I think you stated what would be the dilemma for me: We often don't know what we will regret until it's too late.

I would add that usually when I have regretted something that I haven't done, it is because I had invented this idea in my head that my life would somehow have been "better" or "more fulfilled" had I done it, which is also unknowable.
And to cover ALL the bases...

None of it really matters except how spiritually enlightened we become. All of this is a hallucination except how much we love.

"...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...."

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
None of it really matters except how spiritually enlightened we become.
Hehe, unless, of course, you're athiest or agnostic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules