Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Whats your salary?

View Poll Results: I earn (USD) ....
Poll Options:
Under $10K 4 votes (6.35%)
Under $20K 5 votes (7.94%)
Under $40K 7 votes (11.11%)
Under $60K 19 votes (30.16%)
Under $80K 10 votes (15.87%)
Under $150K 12 votes (19.05%)
Under $225K 4 votes (6.35%)
Over $225K 2 votes (3.17%)
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll
Whats your salary?
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 06:35 PM

Just curious from some other threads discussing how to save money ...
we don't have time to stop for gas

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 06:37 PM

More than I deserve.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Cold Warrior
Mar 23, 2008, 06:47 PM

Ouch - a public poll.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2008, 06:58 PM

Salaries? Royalties, residuals, dividends and net profits are where it's at.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 07:00 PM

I make under $225,000. WAY under! (such a loose and inaccurate phrasing you chose for the answers.)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

faragbre967
Senior User
Mar 23, 2008, 07:00 PM

Mine's pretty low, but I'm a full time student living at home. Makes it a lot easier to spread out money when you don't really have bills to pay.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2008, 07:03 PM

Under $225K applies to probably 99.9% here

-t

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 07:39 PM

If you are going to a poll like this, at least do it right:

A) Under $10,000
B) $10,000 to $24,999
C) $25,000 to $49,999
D) $50,000 to $74,999
E) $75,000 to $99,999
F) $100,00 to $149,999
G) $150,000 to $199,999
H) Over $200,000

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2008, 07:44 PM

.... and don't make it public. No vote coming from me, even though my salary is exactly what I think it should be.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 23, 2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Ouch - a public poll.
All polls should be public.

IMHO™

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
All polls should be public.

IMHO™
I disagree. Anonymity is important, especially if you want honest answers. People will often play with the truth loosely (or lie outright) if they know (or think) that others will judge them based on their answer to a question.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Ouch - a public poll.
Ironically, the one time I'd support a private one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2008, 07:57 PM

I guess it's well established now that this poll failed on many levels

-t

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
If you are going to a poll like this, at least do it right:

A) Under $10,000
B) $10,000 to $24,999
C) $25,000 to $49,999
D) $50,000 to $74,999
E) $75,000 to $99,999
F) $100,00 to $149,999
G) $150,000 to $199,999
H) Over $200,000
why? is MacNN really THAT stupid? seriously?

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 08:47 PM

why does it matter if people know what you earn. I've never got the taboo with it either.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
why does it matter if people know what you earn. I've never got the taboo with it either.
Ditto.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2008, 08:55 PM

I put under 20k.. I'm a part time bank teller and a full-time student. I'd say its pretty good for a part time job. On the other hand I do see over 225k almost every day. It's too bad that it isn't mine to take home at night.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 08:58 PM

I make just over 18k a year, working 3-3.5 months in the summer.

It's definitely one area where being a student sucks ass. If all goes well I should be able to make a little more than that in a few years. I'll need to, in order to pay back exorbitant student loans.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2008, 09:23 PM

Define salary. Before taxes? After taxes? Average salary? Salary of last year?

Like Greg, I’m a student, so I my job is temp-based, with no regular hours (I arrange my schedule with the staffing department every three months). Therefore, I don’t have a regular income, either: I’m paid entirely by the hour.

Last year I made about DKK 280,000 (about US$ 58,000) before taxes, though, so I put ‘Under $60K’ in the poll. I just got off a nice public holiday eight-hour shift, which should make me about DKK 3,200 (US$ 660), which is nice.

I don’t see the whole stigma about salaries, either.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 23, 2008, 09:29 PM

My current "salary" is my military retirement-technically "deferred compensation". In about a year, I'll finish school, get licensed, and start making roughly twice that amount in my profession, with the retirement pay still there.

Also, I replied with my personal pay. My wife is an experienced neonatal critical care nurse, so she makes some respectable money too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I don’t see the whole stigma about salaries, either.
When you work for a large company you are ordered to keep your salary secret. It seems ridiculous at first but soon you realize it's a good idea. If everyone started comparing salarys nobody would ever be happy with theirs in relation to everyone else's and the problems and complaining would never end. Once you treat it as something you NEVER talk about for a few years you can't imagine it any other way and the thought of revealing it publicly is practically taboo. The one I don't get is people that won't tell you how much they paid for their house. Why would anyone keep that secret?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 23, 2008, 09:57 PM

When you work for a large company you are ordered to keep your salary secret.
Not over here you’re not. At least I’ve never experienced it, and I used to work (though also just on a temp basis) for Nordea, which is the biggest (I think) bank in Scandinavia.

Where I work, it’s completely normal and natural for people to talk about their paycheques and salaries with each other. Moreover, you’re not likely to bump into someone on a thread like this who knows you or recognises where you work and will go and make a fuss about what you answer on a poll here …

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
When you work for a large company you are ordered to keep your salary secret. It seems ridiculous at first but soon you realize it's a good idea. If everyone started comparing salarys nobody would ever be happy with theirs in relation to everyone else's and the problems and complaining would never end. Once you treat it as something you NEVER talk about for a few years you can't imagine it any other way and the thought of revealing it publicly is practically taboo. The one I don't get is people that won't tell you how much they paid for their house. Why would anyone keep that secret?
+1 for no it's not. Where do you live, Cuba?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 23, 2008, 10:15 PM

At my current internship, I'm getting paid $11/hr with furnished housing provided, but of course this is just a temp job. Average starting salary for my profession is around $50K, and I'll be more than happy to make that. My dad's starting salary teaching elementary school in 1975 was around $7000. It took him 16 years to hit the $30K mark, and that was when he got his masters and became a part-time principal at two small schools. Fortunately since then we moved and he's doing better than that.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2008, 10:16 PM

When you work for a large company you are ordered to keep your salary secret.
Maybe if you're the CEO.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2008, 11:27 PM

The thread topic asks "how to save money?" Your salary has no real bearing on whether you save money or not. Obviously if you live below the poverty line, then this will not be the case...The best way to save money is to not spend all of your net income. Doing a detailed budget and finding where you waste your spending money. If you can pay yourself first as if it is a bill you need to pay, that mentality helps. Put away 10% of your net income to start, and see if you can survive on the remainder and not use your credit. Split away half of that into some retirement fund, and the other half for real financial emergencies. Once the habit is in place, you can slowly increase it yearly by small amounts.
My Blog-pakos.me

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Maybe if you're the CEO.
Publicly-traded companies, at least, are required by SEC regulations to disclose the compensation of their top five executives.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2008, 11:36 PM

Yes, true. It just seems like CEOs of failing companies try to horde as much money as possible without letting people know (ahem, Delta Air Lines, Ford Motor Company).

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Publicly-traded companies, at least, are required by SEC regulations to disclose the compensation of their top five executives.

Yeah, I was going to say... the CEO is about the only person at the company who's salary I do know. I work for one of the largest American corporations.... General Motors, and we are never allowed to talk about how much we make, especially with eachother.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2008, 11:41 PM

Because the big heads get all the money, probably. American motor companies should pay their employees a ton. The product could be a ton better (although the new Malibu is darn near a work of art). If I was to take a cross country trip tonight and I had to choose a car under $30k to do it in, it'd be in a Malibu.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2008, 12:05 AM

The thread topic asks "how to save money?"
No, it says the thread was inspired by other threads about saving money.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
My wife is an experienced neonatal critical care nurse, so she makes some respectable money too.
Yeah, but in that line of work, probably deserves every penny.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
Yeah, but in that line of work, probably deserves every penny.
True. I hate the idea of people working on your body being under-paid and hating their job

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2008, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
True. I hate the idea of people working on your body being under-paid and hating their job

NICU nurses (and other NICU staff) deal with a lot of stress and emotion every day. Their patients are preemie babies born as early as 23 weeks gestational age, who can weigh less than a pound at birth. You deal with not only trying to care for a patient who can fit in the palm of your hand, but also dealing with parents who were obviously not expecting a baby this early and have to also take care of the emotional support of the parents and the rest of the family. You try not to get too attached, but it is very difficult and the emotional rollercoaster happens every day you go to work.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Rumor
Mar 24, 2008, 02:52 AM

I don't have a salary. Currently I am a student and make between $22 - 28 an hour.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 03:27 AM

My salary is <$60k, but it's only a portion of my personal income, and now that we're all working, the household income is almost enough to make me raise my eyebrows.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2008, 07:52 AM

Blow?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2008, 07:55 AM

The one I don't get is people that won't tell you how much they paid for their house. Why would anyone keep that secret?
If you know their first & last name you can usually get the exact amount they paid online for their house these days, I believe almost every state has a website for that these days too, and the info is free.

I posted my salary + income that is paid to me monthly (for a case I won) my salary is public and online last time I checked.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 24, 2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
NICU nurses (and other NICU staff) deal with a lot of stress and emotion every day. Their patients are preemie babies born as early as 23 weeks gestational age, who can weigh less than a pound at birth. You deal with not only trying to care for a patient who can fit in the palm of your hand, but also dealing with parents who were obviously not expecting a baby this early and have to also take care of the emotional support of the parents and the rest of the family. You try not to get too attached, but it is very difficult and the emotional rollercoaster happens every day you go to work.
I should point out that my wife is at the top of her salary ladder in her NICU position right now, that she absolutely LOVES her work and her coworkers, and that she can't imagine a better place to work, let alone a better kind of work. She is not "overpaid" by any means, but she's making "good money" indeed. Thanks for the very well worded explanation, cj; I get too emotional in dealing with this setting too-and I'm considering specializing in NICU once I have some field experience as an OT.

On the "salary secrecy" issue, it is true that a lot of companies require workers to keep their salaries confidential. It makes it easier to low-ball new employees if the existing ones can't tell them that they are being offered substantially less money than existing workers. There are often restrictions on discussing actual job qualifications too; if a new prospect is better qualified than his boss and knows it, that could put the boss on the defensive. Not an actually good boss, mind you, but bosses in general...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 24, 2008, 09:04 AM

On the "salary secrecy" issue, it is true that a lot of companies require workers to keep their salaries confidential. It makes it easier to low-ball new employees if the existing ones can't tell them that they are being offered substantially less money than existing workers. There are often restrictions on discussing actual job qualifications too; if a new prospect is better qualified than his boss and knows it, that could put the boss on the defensive. Not an actually good boss, mind you, but bosses in general...
And that is exactly why it’s such a bullshit policy to have.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2008, 09:28 AM

I'm a millionaire, in rupees.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2008, 09:43 AM

About 4 thousand shells and one elephant carcass per year.

I never like discussing salaries, especially during tax season
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

paul w
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2008, 09:54 AM

When I was looking for a full time job, salary was one of many factors. I'm reasonably happy inasmuch as I have a nice working enviroment, my own office and pretty much total autonomy over the work I do. The hours aren't bad. We're only 6 and everyone seems to mesh well. Do I love my actual job? Not really, but after freelancing for years and years I like the life that my job allows me to have.

And I still supplement mine with freelance work.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2008, 10:00 AM

Because its a public poll, I'm not voting.

My salary seems is adequate to meet my needs but I wouldn't pass up a big raise

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Blow?
No thanks, had one this morning. That's very considerate, though.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 03:04 PM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 03:08 PM

The one I don't get is people that won't tell you how much they paid for their house. Why would anyone keep that secret?
Easy answer to that: When you tell folks what your house is worth and it's above the average, folks get jealous. No kidding, answering the question "so how much did you pay for it?" more often than not turns into "look at him bragging about his house!". Better not to mention it at all.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2008, 03:44 PM

how much did you pay for Doofy Island?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 03:56 PM

Lots. In cash.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2008, 04:19 PM

jealous.
Trying to get a place in Cambridge...
£150k+

Forum Links
Forum Rules