Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is the isub now buried as of 10.5?

Is the isub now buried as of 10.5?
larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2007, 12:23 AM

Since my Leopard install on Friday, my isub falls off my sound preference pane every few seconds when I am using my USB speakers. Do you think that the isub has finally been killed off?
My Blog-pakos.me

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2007, 10:43 PM

The iSub is the redheaded step child of Apple's audio products. While it might be fixed in a future update, I think iSub drivers are at the bottom of Steve's priority list.

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
The iSub is the redheaded step child of Apple's audio products. While it might be fixed in a future update, I think iSub drivers are at the bottom of Steve's priority list.
I wish I was as optimistic... The support for it has been atrocious since the Intel machines came out! The imac speakers are horrible! But they weren't bad with the isub adding some backup! Now I can run a set of Lexmark LAPTOP speakers and they give me better sound!!! Apple should be embarrassed.
My Blog-pakos.me

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
...The imac speakers are horrible! But they weren't bad with the isub adding some backup!
The iSub really does round out the iMac speakers very nicely. I've had my iSub for years - even used it with my G4 Cube speakers. I only recently upgraded from PPC to MacIntel. And the one item I miss the most is a working iSub

I know there are plenty of similar and better quality aftermarket speakers. But for a truly minimalist approach, the internal iMac speakers with a working iSub are ideal. I seriously doubt Apple will ever update the iSub driver tho. That makes it nothing more than a oversized paperweight these days - albeit a highly stylized one.

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe View Post
The iSub really does round out the iMac speakers very nicely. I've had my iSub for years - even used it with my G4 Cube speakers. I only recently upgraded from PPC to MacIntel. And the one item I miss the most is a working iSub

I know there are plenty of similar and better quality aftermarket speakers. But for a truly minimalist approach, the internal iMac speakers with a working iSub are ideal. I seriously doubt Apple will ever update the iSub driver tho. That makes it nothing more than a oversized paperweight these days - albeit a highly stylized one.
I wrote Apple with the same sentiments. They told me that it is in the works... That was when the Mactels came out...
My Blog-pakos.me

Koralatov
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 06:02 PM

Damn. I was seriously considering adding an iSub to my G4 iMac to boost its otherwise lacklustre bass. If it turns out they're going to be rendered useless with Leopard, I don't think I'll bother.

Anyone know whether they work on a PPC with Leopard, or are they effectively FUBAR on both architectures? I'd dearly love to get one to complement the fantastic Apple Pro Speakers I currently use...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 04:28 PM

Weird that they don't support the iSub, when the Soundsticks have been fine (I've got the original USB ones on my Macbook and OS X 10.4).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Nov 7, 2007, 06:04 AM

The Soundsticks work like regular speakers - they separate the base out themselves. The reason the iSub was so great was that the software removed the base from the built-in speakers and sent just that to the subwoofer. That's why the small built-in speakers sound so much better with an iSub connected, but it is very non-standard, and also the reason it didn't work in 10.0.

slinilo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
Anyone know whether they work on a PPC with Leopard, or are they effectively FUBAR on both architectures? I'd dearly love to get one to complement the fantastic Apple Pro Speakers I currently use...
I do have an iMac G5, and since I´ve installed Leo I have the same problem with the iSub not working anymore. I´m thinking of going back to 10.4.10 since Classic fell out too.

Editor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 08:47 PM

I got my iSub for my 400 mhz G3 iMac. I loved it up through my G5 iMac. On my Intel iMac, though, it didn't work.

I decided to clutter my desktop with external USBs to get the iSub to work again. They were cheap and sounded better than the internals.

All was well until I updated to 10.5. Now the externals work by themselves, but if hot swap the iSub cable, the sound stops. Quicktime video continues, sans sound, but iTunes says it's playing but the time meter doesn't move.

Sometimes, the sound starts and stops before cutting out.

I can't seem to find help anywhere. It also makes it hard to tell people, "It just works."

Buh.

I'm also considering switching to 10.4 because I have a bunch of permissions that are screwed up and can't be fixed, Time Machine quit and my new external drive I got for it stopped working. Not sure if the last part is due to the drive or the OS.

Buh.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 10:20 PM

I have an iSub. I find the sound to be very "dry" and unnatural. But it's very convenient for a laptop. Sadly, I had to stop using it because it would start humming for no clear reason.

I wish that Apple would do something like the iSub again, but smaller and bus-powered, geared for laptop users on-the-go.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
That was the most racist post I have ever witnessed among all your posts.

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 04:19 PM

Well I guess 10.5.1 didn't fix the iSub issue. I have an iSub that still works great and I am saddened to find out it doesn't work with 10.5. Please fix this Apple!

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2008, 10:50 AM

For what it's worth, my SoundSticks II still work with LEO through the PMG5. I'm not sure if they are different than yours, but they still appear at the Applestore:

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Harman Kardon SoundSticks II

thetano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2008, 08:45 PM

If Apple won't fix the iSub, the community can! Check out this site:

www.isubfix.info - Reward: iSub Leopard Fix

Hopefully someone can create a workaround / hack / fix for it!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2008, 08:49 PM

This is the fundamental problem with USB speakers.

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008, 08:49 PM

If it is legit, I will pony up $5 to the cause. Maybe I will email the guy to get a good feeling on his sincerity...
My Blog-pakos.me

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meadowfield View Post
For what it's worth, my SoundSticks II still work with LEO through the PMG5. I'm not sure if they are different than yours, but they still appear at the Applestore:

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Harman Kardon SoundSticks II
Those just plug into a regular audio jack. No special drivers required.

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2008, 10:37 AM

Hey, it looks like an upgrade to 10.5.3 fixes the isub problem. You will still need USB speakers connected, but at least I have decent sound coming out of my imac again!
My Blog-pakos.me

webraider
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2008, 11:38 PM

The SoundSticks II Work with Leopard, on Any Mac and ANY PC because they are NOT USB Speakers. They use a standard Analog Male 1/8" plug to plug right into to any sound card output including the Macs Audio out. I know because I have them and they do work great. The iSub is a different issue all together.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 03:50 AM

Yes - Wiskedjak clarified this on APRIL 2ND.

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2008, 03:33 AM

BTW, I had an iSub, and it worked just fine with a PC running XP.

BTW, my old ApplePro speakers, of which I had two sets, are still in service attached to Griffin iFires. I gave one to my mom, and the other is set up next to my TV to play RiffTrax through.

bam1234567
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2009, 08:07 PM

Just in case anyone was still following this thread, I have fixed the iSub for 10.5 (PowerPC architecture only), and have started a thread over at apple's discussion boards. Here's the link:
iSub Now Working, Fix Made
So there ya go, just in case anyone was still following this.
~Paul

bobbyv2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2010, 11:26 PM

Since the iSub is now an antiquated paperweight and not supported by apple, I have discovered a valuable use for it. I have a queen sized air mattress that we use frequently for guests that is a pain to inflate using the 12 volt pump that plugs into a cigarette lighter. I've been using a 12 volt battery charger and clamping the leads on the pump. It works pretty well...however, since I have an iSub subwoofer that works great but is basically useless, I decided to research alternative uses for it. The AC adapter I found, puts more than adequate voltage and amperage to run my air pump much better than the battery charger did! It is awesome! So, don't throw away that old subwoofer too quickly. The ac adapter is much too valuable for other applications. Now, for the speaker, which is a very good quality subwoofer or woofer, depending on the crossover network...I am going to find another iSub, which will be very easy since they are going for $.99 cents and shipping, and build me some very nice sounding speakers........

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2010, 08:18 AM

I turned my iSub into a jack'o'lantern.

Fast iBook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2011, 10:41 AM

Yea, so i actually recently (a few days ago) switched from 10.4.11 to 10.5.6 from a retail dvd. The iSub worked up till i went to 10.5.8. Sadly 10.5.8 is required for all the newer stuff to work, including iPhone 4 sync, or iOS4 in general, as well the magic mouse works on ppc with 10.5.8, which is really cool.

Sadly my pro speakers do not cut it, and i listen to a lot of techno/dance and rock all kinds of stuff really, anyways the pro speakers, as neat as they are, cannot with their 10 watts rms each provide the kick/punch of that dedicated 4 inch 20 watt subwoofer.

I'm running a QS 2002 dual 1 ghz 1.25 gig ram, leopard runs perfectly, it's actually a bit faster, only wish i could delete that "alex" voice file to free up some space on my "tiny" 80 gig drive from 2002. iBook G4 1.33 ghz and 1 gig ram also runs it great, faster than panther, but the iSub does not work on that one either.

I will say one thing about the sound sticks: They will work on anything with a proper stereo headphone jack, including portables. That is the solution unless apple comes up with a dual binary usb 2.0 driver.

- Andy
IM me on "pmacdesigner" if you want to talk to me.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fast iBook View Post
only wish i could delete that "alex" voice file to free up some space on my "tiny" 80 gig drive from 2002
Macintosh HD > System > Library > Speech > Voices

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2011, 08:51 PM

I never really liked the fact that the iSub was a USB device. If it operated like most other speaker systems, such an iconic device would never be rendered obsolete by drivers.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Fast iBook View Post
only wish i could delete that "alex" voice file to free up some space on my "tiny" 80 gig drive from 2002
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,Internal Hard Drives,IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules