Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for Mac encrypted database program

Looking for Mac encrypted database program
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2008, 01:10 AM

I am looking for a Mac program that is encrypted that can be used to store data such as passwords, personal information, business information, and other information that needs to be secure.
I like Bento and just upgraded to Bento 2 but there is no password protection. I have a password to log onto my Mac but I know it's not 100% secure and I'm looking for security as high as 448 bit. A password vault type of program would be nice but I want something that has additional database features.
I have done a lot of work on Google but have not been able to find anything. Any suggestions? Thank you.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2008, 10:53 AM

Devonthink Pro Office offers password protection, but doesn't have encrpytion. You could store the DB in an encrypted disk image using TrueCrypt, and Disk Utility when not using it...Devonthink Pro Office does everything! I love it.
My Blog-pakos.me

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2008, 12:04 PM

TrueCrypt FTW.

Set up the Bento DB inside the TC volume.

You might also wanna wait for this: http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...s-x-espionage/

-t

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2008, 12:03 AM

For simple passwords and encrypted notes, the Mac OS X Keychain would work, or 1Password would be a great option.

For something that could store lots of things (e.g. PDFs of your bank statements, and all manner of private documents), consider EagleFiler. it can create an encrypted library, and it uses the Mac OS X feature of encrypted disk images to wrap the whole thing in an AES 128 or AES 256-encrypted image. It would be great for something of this nature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules