Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Very Small OS?

Very Small OS?
tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2010, 07:20 AM

Is there a small boot-time alternative OS I can load onto a 2GB memory card?
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 13, 2010, 09:35 AM

There are several (Linux-flavoured). The only one I’ve used personally is Ubuntu Network Remix (UNR), which I found to be very sleek and nice to use. Others are eeebuntu, easypeasy, and Moblin.

Of course, these are all optimised for netbooks and their smaller screens, but they should work just fine on larger computers/screens.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 11:05 AM

I think the one you're looking for is Damn Small Linux
DSL information

Cold Warrior
Feb 13, 2010, 11:08 AM

What are you looking to get out of a small OS?

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2010, 12:16 PM

I am running Mint on a 2Gb stick. It runs quick and looks great.
Main Page - Linux Mint
My Blog-pakos.me

tonton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
What are you looking to get out of a small OS?
Just tinkering. It would be nice if I could browse the internet and use the MSN and FaceBook chat protocols. Maybe a game or two... and BT (to another storage location, of course).
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

bettafish2010
Baninated
Mar 2, 2010, 06:00 AM

Hello MacNN members!

My name is Elizabeth Phillips, CEO of Bettafish Developments Inc.

We're a software and development division based out of California, and have a talented team of individuals who are developing a next generation of applications for the iPad.

Not only that, we have a long history in the software development world. We first started our first branch in 2003 outside of Seattle, and have grown substantially. We've had great success with previous projects such as Neo Operating System 5, E-Byte Internet Browser & Word Wizard. We believe our long history and strong foundation in the software field has helped us become a strong competitor in the internet application marketplace. In fact, we're so confident, we wanted to spread the word to you fellow MacNN users.

We're developing what we believe is the solution to Apples failed attempts at an portable operating system environment. We have built the bridge to the other side -- closed the gap, so to speak. We have opened the door where Apple has shut them. We are the solution so many of you have been waiting for. The solution is simple, the solution is Neo OS 10.

We have been working on Neo OS 10 for the past 5 years. After large criticism and feedback, we revamped the entire OS, rebuilt the core on the new Red Globe file system 7.2, and updated the management system to handle todays taxing environments and hardware requirements. We believe we have created a new platform for powerful; it's unlimited only to the edges of your imagination.

We'll be allowing beta testing of this new operating system environment nearing the end of March to coincide with the release of the new iPad. If anyone is interested, we'll be glad to delivery you a digital download via our secure and encrypted website.

Thank you so much for your time, we really do look forward to bringing the next generation of operating system to you!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 06:11 AM

(Edit: My post makes zero sense now that the previous one has been deleted. I don't understand - that wasn't spam; that was pure entertainment from a long-standing (complete psycho) member of the boards!)

WELCOME BACK!

What a blast from the past. I'm amazed this guy (I believe in his first incarnation as a 12-year-old with a pirated copy of Flash and even less brains that skill, it was still a guy) still dares to show up here.

How's your PowerBook G5?

Seriously, folks: If you're up for an afternoon's entertainment, search these forums for "bettafish" and read away.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Mar 2, 2010 at 09:19 AM. )

Cold Warrior
Mar 2, 2010, 08:51 PM

post restored for context's sake.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 10:00 PM

Can we see some screenshots of Neo OS 10?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
How's your PowerBook G5?
Hey, at least he got the (initial) resolution of the 17” screens right, and he did sorta-kinda predict the nonexistent optical drive of the MacBook Air.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2010, 11:50 AM

"large criticism"

I have a much boot I'd like to place where you can't see it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules