Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't input "h-bar"

Can't input "h-bar"
wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2003, 08:29 PM

I'm trying to do a design for this physics thing where I need to use the character "h-bar." It exists--I can find it in the Character Pallete, but I can't input it into Photoshop! Apparently apps need to be Unicode-aware to use h-bar. Is there any way I can trick an app into accepting Unicode characters?

tr
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 10:27 PM

no h-bar in character palette? hmm...let me see...how about this: ? . it's called "LATIN SMALL LETTER H WITH STROKE" unicode 0127

there's also ?: PLANCK CONSTANT OVER TWO PI unicode 210F

oh, wait, you probably already found those (and i need to read posts more carefully )

anyway, i got planck in photoshop

the window on the left is PS7, and the window on the right is Word v.X. if you have word with equation editor installed, place an equation in a doc (Insert-->object-->ms equation) planck's is under miscellaneous symbols. type up the constant (or a whole equation), close the equation editor box, and the equation should appear in your doc. now, select that object box, and copy it (you are basically just copying a pic). paste into photshop file.

nice to see other physics-minded people around here.

tr

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 10:37 PM

physics aside, can you explain what those icons are in your menu bar. well I know what most do, but where can I get them? I use some widgets but I would rather stuff things in my menu bar instead of clouding up my desktop. thanks

wataru  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2003, 11:25 PM

Thanks for your input, tr. I ended up getting it to work by typing "h" in MT Extra--that just happens to be h-bar.

I did find 210F, but not 0127. Where's 0127? I don't think it would work anyway, though, since it looks like Photoshop just won't accept any Unicode characters.

Here's the finished product, by the way:

tr
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
physics aside, can you explain what those icons are in your menu bar. well I know what most do, but where can I get them? I use some widgets but I would rather stuff things in my menu bar instead of clouding up my desktop. thanks
yeah, lately i've gotten 'menubar happy'
there was a thread, i think in the OS X forums about menu bar items. from left to right:

Show Desktop

MenuMeters
(l-r: network, memory, disk activity, CPU monitor)

iChat
monitor prefs
sound
clock

tr

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2003, 01:00 AM

yeah, usually when I want to input a special character into Photoshop I end up typing it in TextEdit and then taking a screenshot. silly Adobe.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Forum Links
Forum Rules