Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Open Transport problem with OS 9

Open Transport problem with OS 9
df03472
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 1999, 08:54 PM

I had to install OT from 8.6 in order to get my ISDN to work with OS 9. I have a beige G3/300 with 2 ethernet cards (internal and PCI). Did not try to remove the PCI ethernet card to see if maybe OS 9 gets confused. Seems to run OK with the older Open Transport. Has any one else had this problem.

arthurdent
Oct 18, 1999, 12:07 AM

Some ethernet cards will need new or updated drivers before they will work with OS 9. Your card might simply need a new driver. Consult various Mac sites for info: MacFixit and MacNN have OS9 compatibility lists which are updated daily.

arthurdent
Oct 18, 1999, 12:16 AM

p.s.
OS 9 users should discover a considerable increase in network speed and reliability over previous OS versions, 8.6 included. Moving from 8.6 to 9.0 seems to have solved all the DHCP poblems I have had with a cable modem. OpenTransport 2.5, part of OS9, uses some of the latest Mentat networking code, the same stuff used in Solaris, HP-UX, and other heavy-duty UNIX OSes. (OT has always been based on Mentat code; the latest OT just takes advantage of the improvements of more recent code developments.)

df03472  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 1999, 09:13 AM

Thanks arthurdent for the input.
My system is 100% Apple, both Ethernet cards (internal and PCI) are Apples. I assuming Apple would have sent the driver for its hardware with OS9. I'm also runing OS9 sent early from apple. I guess my next step is to remove the PCI card and try again, (it looks as if I'm alone with this problem, for now). I also run an iMac with a cable modem, glad to hear DHCP works. Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules