Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacRumors Posts Full iBook Specs

MacRumors Posts Full iBook Specs
bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2002, 03:21 PM

http://www.macrumors.com They were actually posted on PowerPage.org first

[EDIT]
Think Secret has an article as well on the front page http://www.thinksecret.com
( Last edited by bleee; Nov 4, 2002 at 03:47 PM. )

bleee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2002, 03:28 PM

Now the question is can you overclock the existing 700Mhz iBook's to 800Mhz???

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 04:20 PM

Vader says:

"Disappointing."

(if true)
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 04:43 PM

Dissapointing? I can get a 12.1 800 with CD-RW with a 30GB HD for $600 LESS than I bought my 500. I'd love to sell my 500 and replace it with an 800... but I don't have the income to make up the difference.

Mac Guru

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2002, 05:12 PM

Those specs sound good enough for me. I can pump my extra $200 into RAM now, I'm happy.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2002, 05:30 PM

Now at c|net.

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2002, 05:36 PM

Yeah I saw at CNET, this seems like it might be the real deal. I guess we'll find out in a day or two, fingers crossed.....

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2002, 05:50 PM

I think the specs on the new machines look great for the price. An 800 MHz G3 laptop running Jaguar with Quartz Extreme is a great machine that'll beat the pants off a similarly priced PC laptop.

Chris

gioele
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2002, 06:36 PM

I can't understand if the 800MHz processor is available only with the 14" screen...

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Nov 4, 2002, 07:01 PM

I just got my 700 mhz ibook back in August....crap.

It wouldn't bother me so much save for the fact that I haven't really accomplished much at work with it (supposed to be using it to learn Photoshop). The difficulty has been finding a good place to abuse company time, etc, away from prying eyes.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Myriad
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2002, 07:30 PM

After almost a year and a half of white iBooks I would have hoped they would have gone a little farther than they have. When I replaced my Blueberry iBook with a late 2001 iBook I was quite literally getting twice the machine in terms of processor speed, video RAM, USB ports, and a firewire port which I hadn't had at all before.

Even with the newer IBM G3 processors, the speed gains over my old 600Mhz are not that great, and I do not want to be held back by a 16MB Radeon in a brand new machine. For now I'll stick with my old Rage card and a combo drive that sticks occasionally. Perhaps one day I'll cave and finally get a Powerbook.
Have you seen me?

bleee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2002, 08:41 PM

I�am to say the least disappointed in this minor MHz upgrade forget the G4 by the time we get that it will be equivalent to the G3 of today. I can't stand the fact that almost every PC laptop is 900Mhz at minimum also that the new G3's are capable of 1Ghz but of course Apple won't release the 1Ghz model right away thats another 2-3 upgrades away. Also that they intentionally crippled the Ati Radeon via firmware so that Mac users can't use monitor spanning without a hack. All because they don�t want the iBook to compete with PowerBook and all because Apple can�t get a faster CPU, so they sell people crippled hardware. I can predict the next iBook upgrade already 900Mhz G3 than 933Mhz G3 and than finally 1Ghz. In reality it wouldn�t cost them anything to release a 1Ghz G3 iBook off the bat would it? (Ignoring the fact that they can�t get a faster G4)

[EDIT]
And of course there is going to be some hardcore Mac fan ragging on my as* about how I�m troll etc... Remember it's people like you who take it up the as* from Apple that lets them continue releasing crippled hardware.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by gioele:
I can't understand if the 800MHz processor is available only with the 14" screen...
The 14" version is just so goofy. I'd hope the RAM in the 12" version would be able equal it.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Milo Waye:

The 14" version is just so goofy. I'd just hope you could add RAM to the 12" version to equal it.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
Dissapointing? I can get a 12.1 800 with CD-RW with a 30GB HD for $600 LESS than I bought my 500. I'd love to sell my 500 and replace it with an 800... but I don't have the income to make up the difference.
Agreed.

Sadly, the value of my once $2200 iBook 500 has dropped like Enron stock
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 02:37 AM

Originally posted by bleee:
I�am to say the least disappointed in this minor MHz upgrade forget the G4 by the time we get that it will be equivalent to the G3 of today. I can't stand the fact that almost every PC laptop is 900Mhz at minimum also that the new G3's are capable of 1Ghz but of course Apple won't release the 1Ghz model right away thats another 2-3 upgrades away. Also that they intentionally crippled the Ati Radeon via firmware so that Mac users can't use monitor spanning without a hack. All because they don�t want the iBook to compete with PowerBook and all because Apple can�t get a faster CPU, so they sell people crippled hardware. I can predict the next iBook upgrade already 900Mhz G3 than 933Mhz G3 and than finally 1Ghz. In reality it wouldn�t cost them anything to release a 1Ghz G3 iBook off the bat would it? (Ignoring the fact that they can�t get a faster G4)

[EDIT]
And of course there is going to be some hardcore Mac fan ragging on my as* about how I�m troll etc... Remember it's people like you who take it up the as* from Apple that lets them continue releasing crippled hardware.
I'm not gonna call you a troll. But it sounds like you're the kind of person that needs a powerbook, not an iBook.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by Justin W. Williams:

Agreed.

Sadly, the value of my once $2200 iBook 500 has dropped like Enron stock
Just like my $3499 g4 2x800 did dude.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Cipher13
Nov 5, 2002, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:

Just like my $3499 g4 2x800 did dude.
Welcome to IT.

I'm happy with the upgrade. The speed problem is outweighed by the incredible design of the machine. Nothing compares to the iBook.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2002, 07:57 AM

agreed. The ibook is awesome.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 05:28 AM

I don't see the bottom of the line model selling very well when there is only $300 cheaper than the iBook with a combo drive, a 10GB bigger HD and a 100Mhz faster processor. To buy a combo drive to fit the iBook would cost you $235, the middle iBook is a bargain waiting to be snapped up.

dru
Senior User
Nov 6, 2002, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by NeoMac:
Vader says:

"Disappointing."

(if true)
The 800mHz has 512K cache (was 256K L2 wasn't it?) and 32MB VRAM.

dru
Senior User
Nov 6, 2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

Welcome to IT.

I'm happy with the upgrade. The speed problem is outweighed by the incredible design of the machine. Nothing compares to the iBook.
Bah. I compared, was biased to get the iBook and well... I like the Sony VAIO SR.

gnubie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2002, 01:27 PM

the important thing for the low end is being under $1000. of course, the $1299 one is THE model to have, imho.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 01:35 PM

Wow! Way to go apple!
I could go for the 12.1 combo drive model.
No one was expecting the graphic chip to be upgraded!

Here is a somber thought, the price of the new combo drive model is LESS than what I paid for my Bondi imac 4 years ago! I love technology ;D

Forum Links
Forum Rules