Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > About the IBM travelstar 40 GB GNX 5,400 rpm..

About the IBM travelstar 40 GB GNX 5,400 rpm..
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 04:16 AM

I Just installed it in my PBti 400/384 MB running Jag. I installed three partitions (system/applications/documents), very happy with performance:

Xbench overall:
54.66, old 10 GB

59.99, new GNX, additionally the system is much more reponsive, start up time was reduced in about 20-25 sec, and applications load much faster.

My only concern is about noise which may be distracting from time to time. have you appreciated noise problems with your GNX

Titom
Dec 8, 2002, 03:42 PM

Put one into my Ti400 too.. very nice.. too bad you get use to the extra speed so fast :-)

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 04:34 PM

Just a question is this the same HD as in the Ti800?

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 11:25 AM

No idea

cenutrio  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Titom:
Put one into my Ti400 too.. very nice.. too bad you get use to the extra speed so fast :-)
Just 48 h and playing with a PBti 1GHz and I feel slow again. I'll have to get use to it because this machine has to last another 12 months (minimun)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2002, 11:46 AM

Xbench is not an adequate program because it does not do cached testing at all. The GNX has an 8 MB cache, vs. 2 MB or less on other drives.

Anyways, I've never used it, but one poster here swapped out his original drive from a GHz TiBook for the GNX and then swapped the old one back in. The GNX was too loud for him.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Xbench is not an adequate program because it does not do cached testing at all. The GNX has an 8 MB cache, vs. 2 MB or less on other drives.

Anyways, I've never used it, but one poster here swapped out his original drive from a GHz TiBook for the GNX and then swapped the old one back in. The GNX was too loud for him.
Doesn't this IBM model have that fluid "bearing" that's supposed to mitigate or eliminate the annoying whining pitch whenever the drive spins (which is almost constantly)? Or are we talking about some other noise(s)?
I, ASIMO.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2002, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:

Doesn't this IBM model have that fluid "bearing" that's supposed to mitigate or eliminate the annoying whining pitch whenever the drive spins (which is almost constantly)? Or are we talking about some other noise(s)?
I dunno if that's true or not, but he may have been talking about the noise of the heads moving. Whatever the case, the noise was significant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules