Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > MacThemes.net Mockup Contest: User Voting Begins

MacThemes.net Mockup Contest: User Voting Begins (Page 2)
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Good point. Can some of you say what these is yours? <Cough>NetworkShadow<cough>. I am sorry if it is obvious, but I just can't put 2 and 2 together.

-Owl
What? mine is the Halo one. (Mjolnir)

Edit: Wondering, how much the judges will influence the contest after the votes are done? I hope originality and wether the theme is even doable will be taken into consideration to sway the vote.
( Last edited by NetworkShadow; Mar 31, 2004 at 12:56 PM. )
click one

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 01:02 PM

Yeah, being able to be made better be taken into account...

I dunno if I like the idea of a theme winning, then being made, and only having a hint of its mock-up left in it when done due to limitations. While mock-ups that could have used that work, and adaptation did not win.

-Owl

idle
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 01:17 PM

well, as far as i can recall the endresults will be 50/50 (user voting/panel staff). Anyhow i think its interesting to see how almost all entries above 60% are grey/usuable/out of the way/simple themes... Seems like "extraordinary" (e.g. Halflife, Boneyard, Rawhide...) doesnt stand a chance against popular votes. maybe next time there should be a popular vote winner and the others will be selected by the jury (yeah, i know just like the iconfactory - but on the other hand they have a lil more experience).

och well, may the best entries win.

[ idle. ]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
You don't see the folks at Iconfactory doing this with Pixelpalooza. They know how to run a contest.
Come on, be realistic

MacThemes Theme Mockup Contest = 1st contest

Iconfactory Pixelpalooza = 8th contests

If you do remember Iconfactory's first contest, you'll realize at how weak it started off. They learned from experiences and that's what we're doing right now.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 01:29 PM

Arg, my colorsync settings were wrong, thus my theme looks too dull...

heh

Incorrect Profile:

Correct:

If the "correct" one looks super bright / blown-out then I am a retard, and can't figure out colorsync.

-Owl
( Last edited by OwlBoy; Mar 31, 2004 at 01:39 PM. )

Mike S.
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 01:31 PM

There are some very interesting themes in there, some are quite creative.

I think there are only a handful that I would use (provided I could use them that is) but I think all the contestants did a good job.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Come on, be realistic

MacThemes Theme Mockup Contest = 1st contest

Iconfactory Pixelpalooza = 8th contests

If you do remember Iconfactory's first contest, you'll realize at how weak it started off. They learned from experiences and that's what we're doing right now.
Fair enough, but I would think that something as simple as the judges not giving public opinion before the contest is over would be obvious.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 01:38 PM

Fair enough, but I would think that something as simple as the judges not giving public opinion before the contest is over would be obvious.
I do agree with you but Phillip will not have much weight on the rating anyway. He'll have like 3-5% influence while Pixelpalooza Panels have a major influence on the result.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
I do agree with you but Phillip will not have much weight on the rating anyway. He'll have like 3-5% influence while Pixelpalooza Panels have a major influence on the result.
It's not a matter of his personal contribution to the score, but his influence on *other* judges (be they on the panel or the user ratings). Anyway, what's done is done.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 02:01 PM

It's not a matter of his personal contribution to the score, but his influence on *other* judges (be they on the panel or the user ratings). Anyway, what's done is done.
yes we are all robots and follow in phill's footsteps. no opinions of our own. easily influenced.....phill has been a part of our community for quite some time and has donated his time extensively to our cause. as he did come up with macthemes.net and everything he is a part of that site but at the same time he is a part of macnn and a poster just like we are. i would see your point if there was a forum on macthemes and he was telling everyone to go vote for this or that theme but even then it wouldnt really make a difference to most of us. I guess you would just have to post on these forums more to know that. instead of wherever else you post.. to make your first post in the gui forum bashing someone for ethics is kinda childish.

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 31, 2004, 02:06 PM

Phill doesnt have that much influence on the panel; not in my eyes anyway. I dont care what anybody else thinks, I vote and critique based on what I feel. I stated in my first comment that I wasnt reading anybody elses comments before I entered mine to avoid this even if it was a possibiltiy.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2004, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by orangep0ny:
yes we are all robots and follow in phill's footsteps. no opinions of our own. easily influenced.....
I agree. No offense to Phill or the other panelists, but I don't really give a shat what they like or voted for - it's THEIR opinion, not necessarily mine. (though I do agree with some of their comments).

I see no harm in them voting or making comments. They're doing it because they use themes just like us, and should have the right to vote for them and make comments.

I don't believe that anyone here is voting based on what Phill or Max *think* is the best one... I give our theming community more credit than that.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 02:27 PM

Look, a big part of the panel's job was to comment on each entry, and give feedback, praise, critique, etc. I think that's an important part of the process, and great for people who submitted. I happened to already post how I love sweet slumber in its comments, and I really see nothing wrong with expressing the same opinion here. I understand that it could influence a few votes, but this influence is "unfortunately" already a part of the contest. And how am I influencing it much more than a comment of your own might do? I hate to get into argueing about 'degrees' of damage and such. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'll think about this more carefully next time, but cut me some slack for the first contest please.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 02:32 PM

I guess you would just have to post on these forums more to know that. instead of wherever else you post.. to make your first post in the gui forum bashing someone for ethics is kinda childish. [/B]
It's not my first post in the GUI forum...I guess you would just have to post on these forums more to know that

And I didn't intend it as a bash..I'm sorry if I came across that way. Anyway it's no big deal, I'm glad Phill and others recognize these kinds of issues for the next contest.

RydDragyn
Mar 31, 2004, 03:09 PM

dumbass question - how do you actually vote?

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 03:22 PM

Click on one of the stars next to the extra graphic and under the entry title. (1 to 5 is the scale)

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 03:55 PM

My fave six:

Calabi - very cool, and probably right on the border of usability.

Hyper.OSX - not sure why I picked this one... I guess because it has brighter and more vivid colors than most themes, which are very gray and dull. Kind of Windows-like, but not so much that it detracts from usability.

Mac-A-Be - Awesome. Lurve the clean straight lines and muted colors. Flat and efficient, without being another "minimalist shades of gray" sort of thing.

Paper and Plastic - Good flat 2D sort of thing. Again, not so conventional that it's been overdone, but still very usable.

ProLCD - Very cool LCD effect, looks a bit better than Digital Device.

ZandrOS - Lots of red! Not much red in most themes these days.

Sorry guys, I didn't vote the "novelty" themes very highly... I was looking for usability more than uniqueness, and I found Boneyard and Sweet Slumber to be the types of themes I'd never be able to actually USE. They have great detail and coordination between the various UI elements, but I think actually using them would give me a headache after about a minute. Anyway, I still rated them higher than some of the thrown-together ones. A number of them were not very original at all, poorly done, or uncoordinated. But I am happy with the number of good ones. I look forward to seeing which ones end up getting made into actual themes!

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

COBRAHQ
Mar 31, 2004, 04:10 PM

Hmm, I'm of the mind that I should never have submitted mine.
Then I wouldn't get to hear the smartass remarks from the 'designers' around
here. I appreciate the remarks from the great guys on the panel, but when
you hear snide remarks about any theme... no thanks, I wouldn't submit
anything again after this.

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by COBRAHQ:
that is the wrong attitude to have. why make something if everyone loves it and just praises you? you will always have the snide people and the critisism no matter what it is. life has shown us this as has everything else in the world. No one thing has ever been totally praised and not negated in some way or form. it should only help you make more and make better with all the critisim. i hope you continue to work on more projects related with the mac os and someday you will realize you will never win. there are even snide smartass remarks on swiz and max themes, life is unfair and you just have to put that aside.

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 04:33 PM

In general if the theme had consistent elements, a solid concept, etc.. I voted pretty highly for it, regardless if I would use it or not. Take the "wood" theme... or "raw hide" - it is not the type of GUI I like to use, but I have friends that eat those themes up. They were solid ideas and got a deserving vote.

There were some themes that I felt were too similar to the current offerings or even were basically copycats of themes.. those did not get the highest votes in my book. Doesn't mean I voted a "1" for some of them, but they weren't going to get a 5.

Of the minimalist themes, Mac-A-Be was rather well thought out. While a "copycat" in some sense, it was like Quentin Tarantino of themes - it took solid ideas from pre-existing interfaces and wrapped them in a unique package. Nothing wrong with that.

I like the ideas of Paper & Plastic... you know it is almost like American Idol... there was potential in some of the minimalist themes that would be only realized if they went through the full process of becoming a "theme"... which a long way from screenshot that looks like a superstar.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 04:41 PM

Don't say that . Your entry is probably in my top ten, and I'm sure a lot of people are rooting for you. You know that Xanthic, Swiz, etc. have all had attacks too. Don't let it go to your head, and continue your great work . Who knows, maybe someone might pick up your entry even if it doesn't win! (I'm trying to organize some stuff like this.)

COBRAHQ
Mar 31, 2004, 04:42 PM

that is the wrong attitude to have. why make something if everyone loves it and just praises you? you will always have the snide people and the critisism no matter what it is. life has shown us this as has everything else in the world. No one thing has ever been totally praised and not negated in some way or form. it should only help you make more and make better with all the critisim. i hope you continue to work on more projects related with the mac os and someday you will realize you will never win. there are even snide smartass remarks on swiz and max themes, life is unfair and you just have to put that aside.
I can take creative criticism, if someone doesn't like what I make that's no big deal. But for someone to make some pretty insulting remarks (like I've seen not only on mine, but in other themes as well, not to mention emailed) it doesn't make me enthused about ever doing anything with my free time to contribute to this community. I don't spend a lot of my time doing any theming, I chose to do this one because I thought it would be fun to do between my contracts, family, and life in total. But having seen some of the remarks being made to a lot of the would-be themers... I wouldn't do this ever again.

I guess some people were never taught manners as children... or they still are children... I don't really know. I'm sure the majority of people making the nasty remarks have never critiqued any design/artwork before, so they need to resort to insults. It's unfortunate that this kind of contest is marred by such ignorance.

But I have to say cheers to the panel, they give some great opinions on the themes, and I do respect their work. I think the comments and voting should have been left to those who know... the primary themers in the community.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 05:57 PM

I hope you don't include my comments as some of those that you decided were "insulting." Yeah, I admitted that there were a number of unoriginal ones, and I also admitted that I rated the unique ones fairly low, but that's just in keeping with the way I decided to rate them. Really, the comments I've read here have been overwhelmingly positive, and although many people have admitted to there being some disappointing themes, they are normally polite and will mention their favorites by name and not the ones they don't like.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 06:11 PM

Many people have suggested taking out user voting and even comments entirely, and judging by panel solely. While I'm going to try to improve the user voting experience as mch as I can for future contests, I believe this interaction to be a key reason why the contest was so popular, so it'll probably stay. Just wanted to mention this.

Let's just say that we're getting roughly 10 times as many unique visitors as the average day.

COBRAHQ
Mar 31, 2004, 07:16 PM

I'm not saying those who dislike the themes because they're unoriginal are insulting, but there's some people going into the comments and leaving some not-so-nice remarks about the themes. I don't care if the person making the theme is pro or amateur, everyone took their time to make these, they deserve a little decency and respect.

It's just unfortunate how some people feel the need to placate their inadequacies by blasting someone elses hard work.

Granted the majority of comments have been very good, some good tips, and some obvious 'need to fix' ideas, and I think that's great. I think macthemes.net has always done a great job to showcase the themes and community. But I think the openness of the voting and commenting needs a little bit of a rethink.

I think anyone who isn't happy with the current state of the 'unoriginal' themes out there should go make one themselves and show us exactly what an original theme should look like.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 07:41 PM

I can take creative criticism, if someone doesn't like what I make that's no big deal. But for someone to make some pretty insulting remarks (like I've seen not only on mine, but in other themes as well, not to mention emailed) it doesn't make me enthused about ever doing anything with my free time to contribute to this community.
I don't see any downright insulting comment left on your entry. 80% of them are praise and 20% of them are constructive feedbacks so I'm a little confused at why you're unhappy

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2004, 07:56 PM

There are some insulting remarks, and those are unfortunate. But anyone who has ever released anything to the public has had to deal with people not liking what they do. Thick skin and all that. Most of the entries getting insulted also show a real lack of effort, and while I can't say I agree with the comments I do generally with the sentiments behind them.

As for phillryu having an effect on the contest voting, I have had a few problems with the fairness in this contest as well. On the whole though it seems to be doing well, and no one specifically is being disparaged or promoted by the MacThemes site, so there isn't too much to complain about.

As a panelist I'm going to keep my actual rankings to myself until after the contest (5% is a big chunk of voting power considering the thousands of votes coming in), but I will say that I'm not going to give a big bonus to usability or a big bonus to eye candy. There are plenty of usable themes out there already, we don't need more of those that look the same, and on the other side we have no need for themes that look cool but can't be used over long periods of time. My vote is in no way influenced by any other panelists or the MacThemes staff, I'm going to vote for what I would actually want to have on my computer. Any argument to the contrary is just foolish.

One last parting comment to CobrahHQ. You dislike the open voting and commenting system, but you don't offer an alternative. Would you prefer that panelists also had moderator ability, and could censor those posts they found offensive? If people are already worried about the fairness of the contest as it is, I can hardly see how censorship would help.
( Last edited by wibs; Mar 31, 2004 at 08:49 PM. )
DigitalRamen sucks.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 08:24 PM

Thats pretty sick that people would take time out of their day to email a guy telling them how bad a mockup he made for a Mac OS X theme contest is. Someone has too much free time.

That said, I really like Vivisect6 its pretty nice.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Many people have suggested taking out user voting and even comments entirely, and judging by panel solely. While I'm going to try to improve the user voting experience as mch as I can for future contests, I believe this interaction to be a key reason why the contest was so popular, so it'll probably stay. Just wanted to mention this.

Let's just say that we're getting roughly 10 times as many unique visitors as the average day.
The stars don't work well though. If it worked like the Unsanity contest with voting for each place I could see that working better.
click one

COBRAHQ
Mar 31, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by wibs:
There are some insulting remarks, and those are unfortunate. But anyone who has ever released anything to the public has had to deal with people not liking what they do. Thick skin and all that. Most of the entries getting insulted also show a real lack of effort, and while I can't say I agree with the comments I do generally with the sentiments behind them.

As for phillryu having an effect on the contest voting, I have had a few problems with the fairness in this contest as well. On the whole though it seems to be doing well, and no one specifically is being disparaged or promoted by the MacThemes site, so there isn't too much to complain about.

As a panelist I'm going to keep my actual rankings to myself until after the contest (5% is a big chunk of voting power considering the thousands of votes coming in), but I will say that I'm not going to give a big bonus to usability or a big bonus to eye candy. There are plenty of usable themes out there already, we don't need more of those that look the same, and on the other side we have no need for themes that look cool but can't be used over long periods of time. My vote is in no way influenced by any other panelists or the MacThemes staff, I'm going to vote for what I would actually want to have on my computer. Any argument to the contrary is just foolish.

One last parting comment to CobrahHQ. You dislike the open voting and commenting system, but you don't offer an alternative. Would you prefer that panelists also had moderator ability, and could censor those posts they sound offensive? If people are already worried about the fairness of the contest as it is, I can hardly see how censorship would help.
There are always alternatives, voter signups, no comments at the voting location aside from panelists (but MacNN would be fine for users to gripe or praise their favs), but these are all just ideas I figured you'd have though of. I've seen my share of online votes go to hell because some people know more about the net then some, it's sad but it happens.

Also I never suggested censoring anyone, it's unfortunate that you put words into my mouth, please don't jump to conclusions about what I've said.

All I said was the voting system should be left to the panelists... most judging is left to the pro's who are in the field already, they know what to look for, they have the experience, and they know if a theme has potential or not. Most non-designers who just want a theme to show off on their system haven't the slightest clue what it takes to make a good theme, let alone usability or what's realistic to put in.

It's just my opinion though, I still think MacThemes has done an amazing job, and without you guys, themes wouldnt be spreading as fast as they are. I've directed quite a few mac users to macthemes to discover theming... and plan on sending many more.

idle
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 08:46 PM

I think i should be happy with all the positive feedback i've gotten so far but nevertheless its always a hard pill to swallow of being on the fringe of popularity.
I for myself took the idea of "think different" by heart and have to struggle with that a lot. I knew ( or should have known, rather) i was going to kill myself with submitting a "pinkish colored mockup but i'd rather be different that drown in the masses. Having said this i still think there are some quite awesome entries among the grey and "PRO" mockups (yeah, you can tell i'm not too much a fan of grey... lol).

This is actually what design is all about: creativity and uniqueness vs. usuablitiy and massappeal. I usually tend to wander into the artistic regions running the danger of becoming unpopular, others are a little more skilled in that and manage to create unique themes and still bring joy to the majority of the mass.

[ idle. ]

COBRAHQ
Mar 31, 2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by idle:
I think i should be happy with all the positive feedback i've gotten so far but nevertheless its always a hard pill to swallow of being on the fringe of popularity.
I for myself took the idea of "think different" by heart and have to struggle with that a lot. I knew ( or should have known, rather) i was going to kill myself with submitting a "pinkish colored mockup but i'd rather be different that drown in the masses. Having said this i still think there are some quite awesome entries among the grey and "PRO" mockups (yeah, you can tell i'm not too much a fan of grey... lol).

This is actually what design is all about: creativity and uniqueness vs. usuablitiy and massappeal. I usually tend to wander into the artistic regions running the danger of becoming unpopular, others are a little more skilled in that and manage to create unique themes and still bring joy to the majority of the mass.

[ idle. ]
I think you did a great job on yours, it's not necessarily something I'd use myself, but it definitely stands out as a more creative theme, and well done.

quandarry
Mar 31, 2004, 09:03 PM

i just want to make a comment on the voting procedure.

i think it should have been a blind vote. by this i mean you don't see the results of the vote just a choice out of five stars. there are actually people who will vote for something just because they don't want to vote for something they think will not win. i'm sure no one here would do something like that. and some people will vote extra low on a theme they think may be getting a bit to high..this kinda sh!t happens. and do away with the comments too and why even bother having a panel.

after the voting is done then open it up for comments and show the vote results. i never bothered reading the comments...especially when i saw who was making them...i was there early and and only panel comments were there then.

this would be more fair and with a little less influence.

just something to think about next time.

of course here at macnn it's a free for all punch-up and thats fun, however i would suggest only commenting on your top six choices.

silky has valid concerns and i'm sure phil will take many things people suggest into consideration next time.

maybe one would be catagories.

i'm just glad i'm not the one responsible...

i can't belieive there were one or two individuals stating that there was none of merit...i think there is merit in each and every one.

good work everyone who submitted a mock-up!

and i'm sure many will will be realized into a theme.
( Last edited by quandarry; Mar 31, 2004 at 09:12 PM. )

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 09:48 PM

I can take creative criticism, if someone doesn't like what I make that's no big deal. But for someone to make some pretty insulting remarks (like I've seen not only on mine, but in other themes as well, not to mention emailed) it doesn't make me enthused about ever doing anything with my free time to contribute to this community. I don't spend a lot of my time doing any theming, I chose to do this one because I thought it would be fun to do between my contracts, family, and life in total. But having seen some of the remarks being made to a lot of the would-be themers... I wouldn't do this ever again.

I guess some people were never taught manners as children... or they still are children... I don't really know. I'm sure the majority of people making the nasty remarks have never critiqued any design/artwork before, so they need to resort to insults. It's unfortunate that this kind of contest is marred by such ignorance.

But I have to say cheers to the panel, they give some great opinions on the themes, and I do respect their work. I think the comments and voting should have been left to those who know... the primary themers in the community.
If you want to continue theming you're going to have to grow a thicker skin. Make sure the only person you're trying to please with your design is yourself. Personally, I read users suggestions and if I think they have merit I'll take them into account when I'm updating a theme (quite a few times they point out something that I've already fixed). I agree that some can be quite rude in their remarks but just remember that, "those that can, 'do' and those that can't, 'teach.'" Your theme design was one of the nicer ones though honestly it wouldn't be in my personal top 6; it definitely is a tweak or two from there (just my opinion).

The ones I would personally choose in my top six would be (in no particular order):
Calabi
Nickel Cobalt
Pro LCD
Sweet Slumber
Half Life
Mac-A-Be

...with honorable mentions going to:
VIVIsectVI
Simple Grey

Overall, good work by all involved and I look forward to using the winner's designs on my desktop in the near future
Who'sDaMac?

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2004, 10:01 PM

As a panelist I felt like it would be a conflict of interests if I entered my own mockup. The feedback I've gotten is it's even sexier than Sasha's Calabi, but you'll just have to decide for yourself.

You might not want to click on this if your mother is in the room.

Also, Cobra, I didn't put words into your mouth. My sentence started with a "would you" and ended with a question mark. I might have gone a bit far, but I really can't see what else you were suggesting.
( Last edited by wibs; Mar 31, 2004 at 10:09 PM. )
DigitalRamen sucks.

mac15
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 10:11 PM

Wow theres a theme in that picture?, if you look closly its in the left hand corner

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 10:28 PM

I can take creative criticism, if someone doesn't like what I make that's no big deal. But for someone to make some pretty insulting remarks (like I've seen not only on mine, but in other themes as well, not to mention emailed) it doesn't make me enthused about ever doing anything with my free time to contribute to this community.
i agree. and it especially hurts when one of the judges gives you an insulting remark: "I think it's an awful theme really." (from Max Rudberg, on my theme). Saying something like that isn't constructive, and it really hurts. i mean, i dont care if Joe Schmo says it, but when a judge says it? i mean, c'mon. and then when people complaining about my theme wouldn't work with shadows, i mean, thats why i deleted the shadows. but someone decided to mess with my theme and add them. i just checked and the only psd file that didn't have the shadows deleted was the brushed one, and on that one i deselected it. Protean didn't have shadows, and no one messed with that.

also, i submitted another version of my theme to you phill, and my old one is up there... thats not cool.

overall, which some themes that aren't even possible (Terra Cotta?), some that i don't think would be possible (Half Life's brushed texture), i'd say this isn't as good as i expected it to be.

COBRAHQ
Mar 31, 2004, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
If you want to continue theming you're going to have to grow a thicker skin.
Yup, easily solved too... I don't plan on doing any theming after this really. I'm not looking to get into theming as a full time thing, I just don't have that kind of time.

I spent my free time on this, I didn't do this because I expected everyone to sing the praises of it. All I expected was a little feedback, why some like it, why some don't, and maybe place somewhere in the end and clean it up with the guidance of a pro themer if I'm lucky enough. I didn't expect to get mocked or belittled for it.

I'll leave the thick skin to my real job.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2004, 11:42 PM

Max is like Simon on American Idol... Brutally strait forward with his opinion

-Owl

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 11:47 PM

I dont see why people are going crazy over 'calabi' it's too dark, and the widgets are poorly done graphics wise. Just my opinion of course.

'simple grey' may not be too original, but the graphics are refined and clean. I think it's one of the best mockups.

Chris

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 11:55 PM

I like NickelCobalt... I was thinking of doing a theme almost exactly like Sera. Fireside, if you want to contact me Ill fill you in. Calabi is actually pretty good, I think the problem lies in the jpeg compression.

Its a shame that this has turned out so bad for the people actually designing the mockups. Next time, there really should be blind voting. This would essentially stop all attempts of people to sway votes. Good idea quandarry.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
i agree. and it especially hurts when one of the judges gives you an insulting remark: "I think it's an awful theme really." (from Max Rudberg, on my theme). Saying something like that isn't constructive, and it really hurts. i mean, i dont care if Joe Schmo says it, but when a judge says it? i mean, c'mon. and then when people complaining about my theme wouldn't work with shadows, i mean, thats why i deleted the shadows. but someone decided to mess with my theme and add them. i just checked and the only psd file that didn't have the shadows deleted was the brushed one, and on that one i deselected it. Protean didn't have shadows, and no one messed with that.

also, i submitted another version of my theme to you phill, and my old one is up there... thats not cool.

overall, which some themes that aren't even possible (Terra Cotta?), some that i don't think would be possible (Half Life's brushed texture), i'd say this isn't as good as i expected it to be.
I also found Max's comment on my mock-up harsh and arrogant. Half of his comment was spent talking about his AA theme and how great ,minimal and useable it was...blah, blah, blah. And then he ends it with "A good try, but nothing I think would be fun to use for a longer time."

A good try? Gee, thanks...I don't what tone he wrote that with but it sounded condescending.

That's what happens when you place pompous teenagers such as Max on the judge panel.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by fireside:

Fireside, I'm really sorry about the updated version. I see that I replied and all, but probably just lost track of it. If you want, I'll ask Adam to update the image tonight. I blundered a few times, as it was a bit difficult organizing 46 entry emails, and maybe another 50 updates. Lesson learned. Next time, it won't happen.

Also, believe it or not, Half Life's brushed texture is indeed perfectly possible, due to a few features in SS 1.2. Most of these themes where I found questionable elements were sent straight to Swiz, Harlan, Joe, or Max for approval.

Remember again that this is the first time we've done a contest, and there were bound to be a few glitches. By the next time around, I'm sure the experience will be much improved.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 12:02 AM

Ok, I dont' even know if I've addressed this before on this thread, as tons of people were complaining, but maybe this'll make some of you guys feel better.

At the moment, it looks like there will be a 16 point curve on all entries. Take your score, add 16.

And I know sometimes the comments were harsh, but most of them weren't. I think it was just the stress of trying to go through almost 50 entries writing constructive comments without blowing up. But please say thanks to many of these judges, because, after all, they are donating dozens of hours to create winning mockups for the community. I know there were problems, but as I keep on saying, it'll help make the second contest even better. Promise.

deej5871
Senior User
Apr 1, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
I agree that some can be quite rude in their remarks but just remember that, "those that can, 'do' and those that can't, 'teach.'"
And those who can't teach, teach gym.

Wow, I had a ton of stuff I wanted to quote but I lost it all and I gotta go soon so I think I'll just try and sum up:

I really disliked all the flat mock-ups. There's already enough flat themes. My mac is supposed to be a machine that looks good, and not just a box with a microprocessor (like PCs), and in order to look good to me my theme also has to have aesthetics in mind and flat themes just don't do it for me (except for a privileged few).

I think Phil was perfectly in line letting people see all the comments and posting his own opinions. Besides, I think he was very generous in his comments to the mock-ups; some mock-ups that I thought looked like utter crap he gave good comments to (I won't name any names, mainly because I can't remember any specific ones).

Cobra: I thought your theme looked pretty awesome and I'm pretty sure I gave it 5 stars (maybe 4, I have a bad memory). Anyway, screw the people who insulted you. Insult them back - tell them why your theme is good and if they don't like it to give you some actual constructive criticism. If they disregard that then throw a couple good expletives at them and ignore them.

Wibs: I think you should have told people to have parents out of the room before linking to your "desktop". Some people click the link first before continuing reading and that could get them in big trouble (big, sexy, squeezable trouble ).

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by deej5871:
Cobra: I thought your theme looked pretty awesome and I'm pretty sure I gave it 5 stars (maybe 4, I have a bad memory).
I don't know if your theme was good or not, cobra... I don't look at who makes them, just what they are.

Wibs: I think you should have told people to have parents out of the room before linking to your "desktop". Some people click the link first before continuing reading and that could get them in big trouble (big, sexy, squeezable trouble ).
hehehe. to be fair i did warn to get your mother out of the room in the next line, but i probably should have said that part first

oh, phillryu... half life was possible before SS 1.2 as well. it'd be made the same way i made latium.
( Last edited by wibs; Apr 1, 2004 at 12:36 AM. )
DigitalRamen sucks.

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2004, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
I also found Max's comment on my mock-up harsh and arrogant. Half of his comment was spent talking about his AA theme and how great ,minimal and useable it was...blah, blah, blah. And then he ends it with "A good try, but nothing I think would be fun to use for a longer time."

A good try? Gee, thanks...I don't what tone he wrote that with but it sounded condescending.

That's what happens when you place pompous teenagers such as Max on the judge panel.
atleast he gave you a yittle bit of constructive criticism, i just got plain ole criticism.

i totally understand about the mix up phill, its just that the fact that the shadows were added just really pisses me off. it would be like adding something to the Mona Lisa, its just not cool to mess with someone else's work with out permission.

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2004, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by deej5871:
And those who can't teach, teach gym.
reminded me of GTO.

mac15
Senior User
Apr 1, 2004, 12:43 AM

This has been said before , but people don't seem to relealise this is first contest of its kind and being the first of its kind its going to come with bugs. Hell every 'contest' does, I think Phill and the macthemes crew deserve a bit pat on the back for the contest. Sure its not perfect but I'd like to see other people start one and have it running like clockwork first try. It'd make my day, really.

When you see people complaining about it, it makes you sad. Ever though whats it like in Phills shoes, he tried something new and for the most part of it, Its a huge success... and others board would say the same.

As for Phill being allowed to rate the themes and being a Judging Panel. This is just silly, now comon really. Since he picked the Panel I think its only fair he be on it. Hell its his site , his contest, his rules. Get over it! I think people are only complaining because their themes are doing poorely.

I probably opened up the flood gates for more bashing on mine and Phills behalf. But I'll say it again. Its the first of its kind, its expected to have bugs and I think they did a bang up job. Three Cheers for macthemes!

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2004, 12:50 AM

The same old problem that has been floating around here: people can't take criticism. This is a contest and I would expect no less than crap being called crap. Overall I think that the panel voting was better than user voting primarily because the community often has the judgment of a high teenager. Of course this may be true in some cases...

Lets just get back on track here, whatever that might be. I really doubt that phil's comments could sway anyone, least of all you people. For gods sake you do have a will of your own? Frankly I enjoyed the comments. Doesn't American Idol do essentially the same thing? It lets the users know what the panel is thinking at the only time their thoughts on the matter count.

So lets abide by the old adage: If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Forum Links
Forum Rules