Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ANN: ProLCD

ANN: ProLCD
phillryu
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 06:20 AM

Quite possibly the greatest theme production ever, ProLCD is the first in a series of MacThemes produced themes that will be released over the next few months. Designed by Harold Harmon and ported by Harlan Lewis, ProLCD also includes 15 desktops by the aforementioned artists, Ric Zito, Roderick van der Steen, digitaljames, and ZachRL. Also included is an Adium 2 message view skin by James Meister and three cursor sets by ZachRL and Harlan, along with packaging material contributed by Xanthic and Adam Betts. Additionally, for those Windows users, KoL has ported the theme to Visual Styles, available here . Overall, it's a colossal effort by ten people, and the first of seven such projects that will eventually be released. Hope you enjoy!

Visit the Mini Site

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

digitaljames
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 06:29 AM

and a nice one it is too!

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 06:59 AM

TIght!

haley
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 07:23 AM

If this theme is as good as I think it will be, then wow is all I have to say.

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 07:38 AM

Very nice. Going to put it on the Mac, and PC.

Think there might be a skin for Firefox in the works?
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2004, 08:11 AM

very nice.

Are there any plans for an official iconset? Right now I'm using the Bezels set, which looks nice, but I'd prefer an official matching icontainer.

ineedmoresleep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 08:15 AM

Congragulations to all involved.

It's great to see a project like this. They gave us a teaser and actually came thru on the release date. The theme itself is really nice. I'm not sure if it will get long term use for me but so far I like it. The colors work and are not obtrusive (I'm a designer).

Again, great job, and congrats to everyone involved.

mac15
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 08:40 AM

Great work Harlan! You kick ass and Latium/ProLCD shows this!

Tarambana
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 09:13 AM

Great work, people! This seem to be getting better and better day after day

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 09:37 AM

I love the depth of this, skins for virtually everything, even mouse pointers, great.
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 09:58 AM

Two words: SWEET SIMPLICITY

This theme makes even bland-looking apps like Apple's TextEdit more enjoyable to use! I love the VLC skin. Sorry, that's more than two words. Thanks to all those involved in bringing this mockup to life.
( Last edited by TheIceMan; May 3, 2004 at 10:07 AM. )

Holigen
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 10:06 AM

Awesome theme wibs. Nice job

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 10:18 AM

Very nice skin.
The only thing I would have liked to see that isn't there is to have iCal skinned also.

Oh, and as far as icons, I am using the G5 System set from IconFactory. It works very nicely.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 11:40 AM

Simply outstanding. Merci beaucoup!

Icon Set: Swiz' JetBlack folders, with World of Aqua toolbars.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 12:57 PM

This theme is amazing. That's all there is too it.

One unfortunate side effect of the menubar border however:

Nothing I can't deal with though. Great Work guys.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2004, 01:11 PM

Even a Mail.app skin, great work!

RogerR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 01:15 PM

I agree with the consensus: great job!
I'll also second the request for an iCal skin.

FB Eye
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 01:16 PM

This theme just feels so... RIGHT!!!

Everything flows, like working with an old friend again...

The perfect blend of style + function

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2004, 01:30 PM

I guess I am the only person who isn't in love with this theme. The gradients used seem far too harsh and the menu bar looks rather bad because of it. I would tone these gradients down and rework the menu bar, if I were to give any suggestions.

u2zoo
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 01:36 PM

I don't think I have a single complaint with this theme.

The Mail.app skin is awesome! Would like to see more themers support that feature.

The two variations was a nice touch, the safari skin is great, the iTunes skin is one of the best to date. I really dig the cursor sets, I was hoping to see some themes finally come with these!

This is now my default theme.

Oh wait, there is one problem with the Adium skin... the text is *very* blurry... is this a problem on my end or does anyone else see this? None of my other Adium skins have blurry text.

chezpaul
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
Quite possibly the greatest theme production ever
I have here next to me quite possibly the greatest cat ever... really.. !!!

I think that's a bold statement. but that's just me.
The theme is okay...
I'm just so fed up with grey themes.
I don't think the LCD part of the theme fits that nicely. I have an off axis problem or maybe it's just my eyes.
I also don't like the color of the bookmark menubars in Safari and being that I use safari 90% of the time on my mac.

Of course, great effort but quite possibly not the greatest theme ever.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 02:18 PM

Please do a backlight version! I really don't like LCD background color, a light blue backlight color would rock.
click one

u2zoo
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 02:29 PM

Yeah, although I doubt it will happen.. (There's a whole lot of recoloring to do in the app skins).. I second the request for backlight color variations.

sixz
May 3, 2004, 02:30 PM

Prefer the Smooth metal variant - nice work considering the restraints of the OS.
Duncan Cowan's 'Auto-Pilot' and 'Co-Pilot' were the bar to reach for.
His inclusion of black - made a very good contrast with the green and metal/plastic.

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by u2zoo:
Oh wait, there is one problem with the Adium skin... the text is *very* blurry... is this a problem on my end or does anyone else see this? None of my other Adium skins have blurry text.
Try clicking and dragging a name away and back into place. It does this to me every time I change themes, fonts, anything. You can do that or collapse a buddy list and re-expand it. Either of those usually fix it.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 03:02 PM

Regarding the "quite possibly the best theme production ever" quote, well, I can't think of any other theme that involved over 10 people

Great to hear the response for this theme. It was truly a huge production, involving simultaneous Windows ports, a PC designer working with a Mac theme maker, and all kinds of other hurdles to jump. But I think it was worth it.

The Adium text issue is caused by a 1px thick drop shadow to simulate the small shadow that old style LCD's had. Perhaps a version will be released in the future with this turned off, as well as color variants. (James had color variants in, but we took them out due to some bugs and the mad rush for release.)

Anyway, I'm glad you guys like it, and I'd just like to remind you that this is the first of 7 such packages that will be released eventually. I'm sure there will be a theme for those who thought ProLCD was too boring, or not usable, or not colorful enough, or not innovative, or the desktops suxored, or whatever. Your theme will be coming.

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 03:03 PM

all i can say is WOW! this puppy will be on my g5 for a loooooong time.
cheers!
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

ambush
Banned
May 3, 2004, 04:03 PM

Can I see a screenshot of the standard UI testing window?

Jaey
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 05:23 PM

At first I didn't think I would like this theme, but it turned out awesome. Excellent work (three thumbs-my highest rating yet )

I also like how there was an Adium webkit view included. That makes this theme even better.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 05:51 PM

Simply unbelievable ! Even ye ole Mighty Mouse is LCD groovin' . Great pak o' walls - great theme . Dang glad to have it . Thanks so much for werkin' it up and sharing it with us .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

COBRAHQ
May 3, 2004, 05:53 PM

cheers for getting it done, and with so much stuff packed in.

loaded it.. tried it... can't say i like it though. but a pretty
thorough package i must say.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 06:04 PM

Gets my vote for greatest theme ever!

Awesome package. The only problems I can find are that it's kind of annoying not to have any division between the bar and the buttons of the scrollbar, the sliders aren't exact, the style for selected .menus doesn't match that of selected menu items, and the iTunes buttons have messed up bottom corners.

Other than that, this theme is a beautiful, complete, flawless package.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 06:51 PM

The only thing I don't like about this theme is that it's distracting me from doing work on my own theme

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 07:01 PM

WHOA MAN! I just realized that Installer is appskinned!

Greatest... theme... ever...

Komisar
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 07:17 PM

it is an amazing theme and trust me the more u use it the more u love it, its been 2 weeks for me and i love it..... and yes almost all the appskins are provided

testnull
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 07:22 PM

*Sniff* no OmniWeb love....

Anyway, the Mail.app icon is unusable in that color, since the text shows up as white. Any chance of getting this changed back to red?

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
it is an amazing theme and trust me the more u use it the more u love it, its been 2 weeks for me and i love it..... and yes almost all the appskins are provided
Check your mail Komisar, you'll find another reason to like ProLCD.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 07:38 PM

The only thing I don't like about this theme is that it's distracting me from doing work on my own theme

edit: Not only that... this is my FIRST double post...
( Last edited by Frisbee; May 4, 2004 at 06:22 AM. )

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
WOW! That's one of the longest-spanning double posts I've ever seen. Over half an hour between them!

Good job Frisbee

Oh yeah, the theme. I like it. Not sure if I'll go back to BBX Mercury yet.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 07:55 PM

Hey everybody,

Thanks for the kind words, the harsh ones (to keep our heads from getting too big), and especially the bug reports. I have a list of things that need to be changed for 1.1, and a lot of that list is from this thread.

As for the Mail new message tag in the dock, I don't know what I was thinking. That wasn't supposed to be that way but somehow fixing it slipped by me. My mistake =-\.

I've gotten a lot of emails requesting this or that or some other thing, and while for the most part I can't offer a whole lot I have posted stand-alone downloads of the guikit (for you modem users) and DLTA versions are available as well. All of the pertinent info and links, as always, are at DigitalRamen.com
DigitalRamen sucks.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 10:11 PM

For those of you coming back to this thread, here's what's coming next:

Paper & Plastic

A collaboration between Mike Matas (designer), Patcarla (themer) and Jasper Hauser (extras).

The project will probably involve several more people by the end (including KoL on a port) but this is a bit of a more focused group. Nevertheless, I am positive you guys will enjoy the results... this is actually turning out better than I had ever expected.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:

Paper & Plastic

A collaboration between Mike Matas (designer), Patcarla (themer) and Jasper Hauser (extras).

The project will probably involve several more people by the end (including KoL on a port) but this is a bit of a more focused group. Nevertheless, I am positive you guys will enjoy the results... this is actually turning out better than I had ever expected.
Any insider info on calabi?

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 10:47 PM

Paper & Plastic

Sweeet. I loved paper and plastic, and thought it had deserved to be in the top 6. And look how many people are working on each theme. It's as if you're all one giant theme-producing organ thingy.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by RedStar:
Any insider info on calabi?
Here's some: It's going to look awsome when it's done! Don't know what else there is to say about it, just JoE is going a great job making the thing into a real theme.
click one

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Here's some: It's going to look awsome when it's done! Don't know what else there is to say about it, just JoE is going a great job making the thing into a real theme.
heh, thanks.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 10:54 PM

Networkshadow, you haven't even used it

EDIT: And if you have... grr you weren't supposed to

FYI, each of the six themes left are progressing well, and I have alphas for all of them. In fact, there are none that are seriously lagging behind or anything, and the themes that will take a while will be held up more by extras (icon sets for example) than the theme itself most likely.

Oh, and Calabi is gorgeous, thank you very much.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 12:31 AM

Networkshadow, you haven't even used it

EDIT: And if you have... grr you weren't supposed to
I was helping Joe fix something in the tpark file. Though it's been some time since then so I bet it's a lot more complete now.
click one

Holigen
Mac Elite
May 4, 2004, 01:39 AM

From the teaser I saw over at RAD.E8, Calabi is looking to be one of the coolest dark themes yet. I definitely cant wait for it

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2004, 03:00 AM

Just a heads up that version 1.1 is well under way, so if you have some bugs/suggestions that you haven't seen posted anywhere now is the time to mention them.
DigitalRamen sucks.

FB Eye
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 09:57 AM

Ooooooh, I just realized that Camino is skinned!!! That just made my day

Is Firefox skinnable at all?

Forum Links
Forum Rules