Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Accidentally Initialized A HD (help with recovery)

Accidentally Initialized A HD (help with recovery)
disectamac
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 02:51 PM

Briefly what happened:

I was trying to initialize a new 80 GB PB HD and so I did and the window states the disk will be formatted at 74.5GB....MacOSextended. Then I plug in my 80GB External HD (the one with all my goodies on it) to my laptop via Firewire. A wait a few moments and a message pops up, "this disk is not recognized do you wish to initialize....74.5GB...MacOSextended...". For some reason my brain didn't connect the message to the HD i just plugged in. Call me dumb, I thought for a brief moment, the message was referring to the PB HD. I remember saying, "how odd for this thing to ask me to initialized my PB HD drive again. So I clicked OK. I realized my error about 2 seconds into initialization but it just so happens that 2 seconds is all it takes to initialize a disk.

needless to say the disk is blank now but I just know in my heart all my information is still on that drive, just waiting to be recovered.

What do you suggest I try? I was going to try norton and some other software but I really wanted to get opinions, advice from here before I touch the HD.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 6, 2004, 04:24 PM

Buy and run Data Rescue http://www.prosoftengineering.com/pr...ata_rescue.php

It takes *forever* and then some to do its thing, but it does work.

Note that you will need another drive to recover the data onto: it will not alter the disk it's recovering the data from.

tooki

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2004, 04:36 PM

Goodluck.

disectamac  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 04:37 PM

The software looks promising. I'll give it a shot. Thanks Tooki.

Forum Links
Forum Rules