Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Resolution independant OSX GUI coming (?)

Resolution independant OSX GUI coming (?)
bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 08:18 AM

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=610

Wonder if this means we'll have to create themes at 4X their current size eventually?

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2004, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=610

Wonder if this means we'll have to create themes at 4X their current size eventually?
I'm wondering when they'll ditch image-based guis and use 100% vectors. *sigh* Someday.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2004, 09:04 AM

Just for clarification:
According to confidential Apple documents, resolution independent UI will not be a user level feature in Tiger, nor will it be exposed anywhere in the Tiger user interface. Instead, the company is providing early support of the technology to developers who wish to prep their applications ahead of time, or implement the feature on an individual application basis.

Documents state that, in future release of Mac OS X, users will be able to set a global resolution scaling factor in the same way that changes to screen resolutions can be made in the system's Displays preferences panel.
So it will not be a big feature of Tiger, but will be next round.

In other news, 256x256 icons!!!

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 09:11 AM

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

eFX
Aug 24, 2004, 09:36 AM

who would really use 256 pix icons? realy come on isnt 128 not big enuff?
even if so Omega icons are what 16x16 upto 128x yeah? can re render them upto 256 id assume?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
I'm wondering when they'll ditch image-based guis and use 100% vectors. *sigh* Someday.
What is it with this obsession with vector graphics? Wouldn't using vector gfx create a flat/cell shaded look? How would you create complex textures and highlights without resorting to some kind of bitmap texture rendered within the vector?

It seems like a similar craze happened with XML with people thinking it would end world hunger and bring about world piece.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by aristotles:
What is it with this obsession with vector graphics? Wouldn't using vector gfx create a flat/cell shaded look? How would you create complex textures and highlights without resorting to some kind of bitmap texture rendered within the vector?

It seems like a similar craze happened with XML with people thinking it would end world hunger and bring about world piece.
peace maybe - piece of pie perhaps ? I doubt it

j/k

What's the deal with bloody vectors these days. I admit, some looks nice, but they can't really get up to par on the photorealistic images.

edit: I don't need resolution independent UI. I need a UI that's flexible in the way themes are/can be made.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 12:49 PM

The whole point is that as resolution increases, screens get bigger, the current interface and icons and text all become unreadable. They're not just doing it for the heck of it.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2004, 04:03 PM

Well. You certainly aren't thinking different. At what age did your imagination shrivel up into a husk?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
Well. You certainly aren't thinking different. At what age did your imagination shrivel up into a husk?
No need to resort to insults. I've dealt with the limitations of vector graphics in Freehand and Ilustrator. How much experience do you have with vector graphics?

Most people dealing with images (picture or video) are dealing with bitmap based images. These people expect/require a consistent and predictable DPI on their screen when editing their video or static bitmaps. A scalable interface would make no sense for those users because you might have a distorted/stretched image.

The only way it would be useful to everyone is if you could have a DPI than is a multiple of the existing DPI (ie 192 instead of 96dpi or 144 instead of 72).

BTW. Could anyone on a mac tell me if the native DPI is 72 or 96? I'm at work on a windows PC at the moment.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 10:03 AM

Most people dealing with images (picture or video) are dealing with bitmap based images. These people expect/require a consistent and predictable DPI on their screen when editing their video or static bitmaps. A scalable interface would make no sense for those users because you might have a distorted/stretched image.
That's true.

wagmedia
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 10:54 AM

On a Mac it's 72dpi.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 08:31 PM

Strange...
I thought 128x128px icons were too large!

Vector is the sh*t though, I'd be for a vector interface as long as it's themeable.
click one

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2004, 09:08 PM

Examples of vector based guis:
Windows 9x, IRIX - UGLY.

If vector based guis were so great, why did people buy/use windowbuilds to give bitmap based theming?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 09:14 PM

Examples of vector based guis:
Windows 9x, IRIX - UGLY.

If vector based guis were so great, why did people buy/use windowbuilds to give bitmap based theming?
But that's a bad example, that's old out dated software that never had the quality standards of Apple in the first place. Take a look at a good flash interface, most of the time they are mostly, if not all, vector. With the effects and stuff that can be done with quartz and vector now, it could be quite cool if implemented correctly.
click one

intastella
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 01:31 AM

I think the report says that it will stay 72 dpi for Tiger and then be user selectable for a future version, i.e. default of 72 and changeable to something higher.

Don
( Last edited by intastella; Aug 26, 2004 at 01:43 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules