Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Removing The Text on Desktop Icons

Removing The Text on Desktop Icons
atomic_x
Oct 20, 2004, 01:04 PM

Does anyone know how to remove text from the desktop icons and just have the icons itself. like is there a program to remove the text.

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 01:17 PM

" "

Dave-o�
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 01:18 PM

Sorry, but i don't believe there is a program that can do that. You would have to modify your icons resource so that it became a 'nameless' application.. the only problem would be that you couldn't put anything in it.. The OS needs the name to track the flow of data to and from the said folder.

COBRAHQ
Oct 20, 2004, 01:26 PM

I have 4 folders on my desktop that are 'nameless'. basically I changed the name to spaces, it's not the greatest if you plan on doing any targetting through terminal, but it does a decent job for me. haven't had any problems with apps finding the folders, and all my apps seem to find the files inside fine.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 01:33 PM

Well there ya go... What Cobra said...

COBRAHQ
Oct 20, 2004, 01:33 PM

Actually, you can see one in my theme in-progress pic, bottom left corner (japanese characters, icon I threw together last year sometime)

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2004, 01:38 PM

there is nothing "wrong" with that naming convention... per sey - whole lot less confusing than all those fancy lettered names... <space> <spacespace> <spacespacespace>

One could make life real interesting and change the localized language to one you don't speak or read - man, THAT would be real fun!

I am lightly poking at no one in particular. I used to think that a "symbol" based interface would be great but it seemed to be too much trouble.

I wonder if one could build a haxie or something that would give a third option to Label Position: Bottom, Right or None. Unix has already named your drive and every file by logical name, the one you view has very little to do with the OS functionality, just with the nut behind the keyboard finding the file in under 23 days... [28 days later... you become a raging insane meateater]

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by eyevaan:
I wonder if one could build a haxie or something that would give a third option to Label Position: Bottom, Right or None.
That would be extra cool.

ender2002
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 08:50 PM

just use space

SPACE

no haxie. end of story. done.

Forum Links
Forum Rules