Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [Preview] Colossus

[Preview] Colossus
Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 08:37 PM

So, everyone's trying to guess who's going to be running things? I'll tell you who...

Komisar
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 08:51 PM

Ehh.. all i can say is wow!

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 08:54 PM

quit making iconsets and make a theme already. Just messn' it looks kick ass

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 08:55 PM

I have my full quota of pixelhuset now thanks...and make that a double Dave

phillryu
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 08:57 PM

Uh, that looks cool but I can't quite visualize what the icon set is about. Could you explain the set's name? Is that significant?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

COBRAHQ
Nov 1, 2004, 08:58 PM

makes me think of something along the lines of Wargames... I don't know why.

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 09:00 PM

Supercomputers eighties style!
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2004, 09:32 PM

I'm getting flash backs to being a kid and the feeling of dread when Forbin realises that Colossus is now in charge. (something like that. It's been a while)

I so want to watch it again. Damn them for choosing pan and scan.

Looks like another classic Dave.

ambush
Banned
Nov 1, 2004, 09:46 PM

I want a theme from you

Holigen
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 09:52 PM

Looks awesome Dave. As always some quality work there.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Dave Brasgalla  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2004, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Uh, that looks cool but I can't quite visualize what the icon set is about. Could you explain the set's name? Is that significant?
Originally posted by COBRAHQ:
makes me think of something along the lines of Wargames... I don't know why.
Well, that's a good guess because Wargames lifted a lot from this movie (and the D.F. Jones book it was based on). Colossus (aka "The Forbin Project") is about Dr. Charles Forbin, who has conceived the Colossus project. The Colossus supercomputing complex, housed inside a hollowed-out mountain, is designed to control the nation's nuclear missile arsenal, in order to prevent accidental nuclear war caused to human error. The first thing the computer does when they turn it on, however, is tell them it has detected a second system like itself ("THERE IS ANOTHER SYSTEM") - which needless to say startles the hell out of everyone. The Russians, under Forbin's opposite number Dr. Kuprin, have been building a similar system that they call Guardian. Colossus wants to talk to Guardian. Not knowing exactly how to proceed, the Colossus and Guardian project teams decide to allow this - which turns out to be an exceedingly bad idea. Colossus is designed to prevent war, and it has some ideas about precisely how to do this. The problem is, it's definitely not the solution everyone was anticipating. And then, things start to get more... personal.

That's about the first 20 minutes of the film. I won't spoil anymore for those who have never seen it, but I will say that once you've heard Colossus' buzzing, chillingly insectoid voice generator, you can never again be comfortable about your computer being able to talk to you!

Colossus: The Forbin Project is a literate, tense and paranoid tale. The studio was unsure how to market it, and with it's decidedly dark ending, it didn't do very well at the box office and remains a fairly obscure film to this day. The technology has visually dated, but the story and characterizations are still potent - and you'll certainly never forget it, once you've seen it. It's only been available on VHS (and a rare widescreen LaserDisc), but on November 29th, it will be released on DVD - albeit in hated fullscreen format. That's a real shame, but it's better than nothing.

Once again, I am making an icon set for my own use, based on my whims, but I know there are fans of this film out there amongst the older generation (that's you, Simon!), so I am releasing these sometime on or before the DVD release. It's not a system replacement, or nor is it even that extensive (the film is long on story and characters, short on FX), but I know some people will appreciate it. I've also got some desktops and sounds to round out the download - maybe even some music!

I'm not sure if this will be a Pixelhuset or Iconfactory release yet, but I'll keep everyone here who is interested informed as to the release status. I'm about two thirds finished...

badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2004, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
... but on November 29th, it will be released on DVD - albeit in hated fullscreen format....
...an unsolved mystery - I don't know anybody who prefers fullscreen over widescreen (and I hate it so much that I often don't watch movies that have been "edited to match a TV screen") and they still don't stop producing such DVDs!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2004, 06:22 AM

Hmm, I thought it was a metallic deal to match the X-men character.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 10:11 AM

not taking away from my favorite Ruskie in the Xmen but

Colossus from "The Forbin Project" made wPr from "War Games" just seem like a child with a hammer in a china shop... I know it dates me but if you can suspend your disbelief and watch this piece of classic SciFi you will be at the very least rattled by the theme of the movie ... word of caution to the 'yewts' of this forum - if you don't actually know what the Cold War was or who the priciple players were - then do not watch "Colossus".

Dave - Looking forward to this creation. Lots of room for "Telex" network drives and really old school computing - house sized!

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2004, 11:08 AM

Dave it's 15:10 in London now, where the hell is this fre thing you are doing for us I ask?

*presses refresh*
*presses refresh*
*presses refresh*
*presses refresh*
*presses refresh*
plz
*presses refresh*

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
And then, things start to get more... personal.
Hmmm. Bits of it are coming back to me. I seem to remember Forbin having his every move monitored by Colossus - even in the bedroom. Is that right?

Getting my retro Sci-Fi fix hopefully tomorrow when THX should arrive on DVD.

I get a kick out of seeing old movies with dated technology and gadgets. Take for example the scene in the Italian Job with the magnetic tape hardware and the bleeping noises - puts a smile on my face every time. I'm like this too when film cameras appear in movies - "Look! He's holding an NPR. I used to sell them. I've used them a few times too."

So give me retro computer icons anytime.

I've also just remembered. I've a VHS tape of 60s science programme narrated by a certain Douglas Rain. Some of you should be familiar with the name. The VHS recording is over 15 years old and I haven't played the tape in about 10. And my VCR is kaput. I must salvage this tape for old times sake...

Dace
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
...an unsolved mystery - I don't know anybody who prefers fullscreen over widescreen (and I hate it so much that I often don't watch movies that have been "edited to match a TV screen") and they still don't stop producing such DVDs!!
I prefer fullscreen for the simple fact that my screen is squarish and not widescreen. Although I could understand why widescreen is good for cinematic movies such as LOTR...but I still prefer fullscreen over widescreen. No point having a 22" screen and only using a third of it.

I prefered when they includ both widescreen and full screen on either 1 double-sided dvd or 2 dvds

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

skellington
Nov 3, 2004, 06:26 AM

dave, i am looking forward to it.
good job!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules