Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Unsupported IDE drive, DAO, and Roxio software

Unsupported IDE drive, DAO, and Roxio software
Worboren
Oct 9, 2001, 02:54 AM

I've just got a IDE Teac 16x writer CD-W516EB (dumped my DVD-ROM) and it works very well burning data at 16x and audio at 4x (didn't want to try going higher) and all.. Actually it did till today as I was going to copy an audio CD, so I popped in the disc, launched Toast (v.5), dragged its icon to the Audio area, extracted the tracks, popped in a blank disc, hit Record and... "Interface error: -9356. The connection is not stable, please check the cables blah blah". The drive stops being recognized and I can't get the CD out without restart. After much tinkering I've tracked down the prob to the drive's lack of support for DAO.

Now, the manufacturer's web site insists this model does support DAO (of course, under Windows), Roxio web site lists the drive among the supported ones but remains mysteriously silent in the "Support DAO" and "Variable-gap TAO" boxes, saying neither Yes nor No.

Any ideas what could help here or is there help at all? I've tried searching these forums but found nothing. It's not that I'm going to copy audio CDs every day (actually I could, with 2 sec gaps between tracks) but I feel somewhat upset about this feature missing.

My setup: G4/AGP, MacOS 9.1, 45 Gb HD/7200, 512 RAM, Apple CD/DVD driver 1.4.2, Toast CD Reader extension 5.0

Any help (or just a word of encouragement) much appreciated.

Worboren  (op)
Oct 9, 2001, 02:46 PM

Never mind, I found my version of Toast was 5.0.1 and updating to 5.0.2 has solved this. For the record: audio CDs burn successfully at 8x.

Forum Links
Forum Rules