Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Help with possible shapeshifter/finder bug.

Help with possible shapeshifter/finder bug.
wil
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 06:14 PM

i'm using Powermetal 2.0 which, up until recently, worked flawlessly.

something happened (no clue as to what) and now the finder toolbar buttons (back, forward, view) display a halo (as if the alpha mask is off). If I switch the frontmost window to "Icon Only" or "Icon and Text" etc. (anything but what it is currently set too), the halo disappears. the minute I set that window into the background, the halo pops up. See examples below.

Halo-effect:

Temporary "correct" appearance:

I've flushed the cache. Deleted the theme, downloaded it and reinstalled. All to no avail.

Anyone know what this could be and how to fix it? (I'm assuming it's a finder thing)

TIA

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 08:35 PM

Loong story short, it's a ColorSync bug that Finder has, which is particularly noticeable with PowerMetal since Kevin Husted (swiz) created the images with a solid color background. As far as I know, there's no real way to permanently fix it other than using only black (transparent black, like in my Digital Device theme for example) in the toolbar images.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

wil  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 10:05 PM

ah yes, that would coincide with a recent calibration.

thank you for answering my question.

that sucks.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2005, 02:30 AM

If memory serves me right, I believe you had the same problem showing with underling, right Wil ?
And the answer from WICKEDfour (tnx) could also be to the point as these toolbar icons too sit on a coloured background.
Still sucks of course

wil  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
If memory serves me right, I believe you had the same problem showing with underling, right Wil ?
And the answer from WICKEDfour (tnx) could also be to the point as these toolbar icons too sit on a coloured background.
Still sucks of course
indeed i did. i'm gonna tweak my colorsync settings at work and see if that fixes it. if not... i'll just have to wait for the finder to be fixed

wil  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 01:05 PM

so, i fiddled a bit and came up with this:

change your colorsync setting back to the generic profile, relaunch the finder, then change your colorsync setting back. the toolbar items will stay fixed for that session.
( Last edited by wil; Feb 15, 2005 at 01:12 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules