Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What was the first Mac you ever used?

What was the first Mac you ever used? (Page 2)
ghporter
Administrator
Apr 8, 2005, 02:28 PM

First Apple (and first "personal computer"): Apple IIe
First Mac: Mac SE (1988)

Edit:I should point out that neither of these was "mine." The IIe was a work computer (I wrote some Basic stuff on it, but mostly did word processing), and the SE was in a store-but way too expensive for me at that point in time.
( Last edited by ghporter; Apr 8, 2005 at 02:59 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 02:31 PM

When my 512 died an unhappy death, I went out and dropped a bundle on a new LC with the 12" color display and the original style-writer, and I was so money. We spent hours with the silly little mic recording stuff and playing it backwards. And it was so exciting having color! But then, after a while, I figure out that most software doesn't do color, and a lot that does needs at least the 13" RGB display (the 12" display has the same limited resolution as that built in to the compact macs). It was still damn cool, but I immediately wished I dropped more and bought the IIsi. I got one used eventually. Can remember why.

David Thompson
Apr 8, 2005, 02:38 PM

128K Mac ordered the day it first appeared in a computer store and managed to float a loan from the credit union. I got it in March of 1984 I seem to recall ...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 03:53 PM

First Used

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 03:59 PM

I always thought this was a good idea.

Macintosh TV

Mitser
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Mitser, I'm not sure the Apple II counts as it was not a Mac.
My apologies Charles. In that case, I suppose my first "Mac" experience was a LC back in late elementary or early junior high.

-Matt

sielo_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2005, 05:46 PM

Power Macintosh G4 (Quicksilver)

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2005, 06:27 PM

The frist Mac i ever used was a SE/30 at a school i helped out at. The frist apple was way back. Dont know what kind it was but it had a green screen and you just stuck a floppy in. The frist i owned was a $15 Mac SE from a resale store(still have it too, trying to find a home in the room for it right now)

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2005, 07:19 PM

Mac Plus, at school.
Although the first family mac was a IIsi (and that was going from a Sinclair QL - quite a change ).

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 09:29 PM

I loved Lisa.
( Last edited by SimpleLife; Apr 10, 2005 at 11:50 AM. )

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 10:27 PM

first time i touched a mac was a Mac II. it was demoing PageMaker 1.5(?)...it blew me away

just think, back then, if you wanted to set type, you had to send out a typed copy of the text (on a typewriter of course) and wait up to 3 days to get back a galley... god forbid if your design had a photo in between two columns... pm did it in seconds!

first Mac i owned, the "wicked fast" Mac IIfx...sigh!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2005, 10:30 PM

LC II, if I recall correctly.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
First Used

Same here!

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 8, 2005, 11:30 PM

The first Mac I got to use was the original Mac when it came out.

Our School got one in the library.

Then after that... it was around 89, brother got one for midi stuff.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2005, 04:24 AM

Macintosh Plus in 1990, Ive since used/fix/owned

Clasic
Clasic II
Color Clasic
LCII
LC475
Few Different Performa's
LC575
PowerMac 5200/75 and 120
PowerMac 5400/180
Bondi Blue, actually almost all the different flavors of the Clasic iMacs, Early G3's and G4's

actually come to think of it, Ive used to many models to bother to list.

First one I owned was PowerMac 5400/180 sadly died when I left the window open and it got rained on. Im sure its the power supply which I fully intend to fix sooner or later.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2005, 05:20 AM

Apple II In Kindergarden
Mac Plus at home within a few years. Other very early macs but I was too young to know what models.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2005, 07:24 AM

My first Apple computer, was the Apple IIe, coincidently its teh first computer i ever used and wrote my first program on (Hello world) :-).

My First Macintosh was a MacIIsi at a friends house. He was like the only person i knew who owned an Apple, the rest of us had PCs, and i was taken with the interface of OS7 (which i still like a lot).

Cheers

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2005, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
My first Apple computer, was the Apple IIe, coincidently its teh first computer i ever used and wrote my first program on (Hello world) :-).

My First Macintosh was a MacIIsi at a friends house. He was like the only person i knew who owned an Apple, the rest of us had PCs, and i was taken with the interface of OS7 (which i still like a lot).

Cheers
I miss System 7 simple to the point, low on resources. Even on my LC475 with 32MB of Ram, and 25Mhz 68040 CPU, it was snappy and quick.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2005, 08:17 AM

The first Mac I owned (In 1985): The 128k

http://www.apple-history.com/frames/...ery&model=128k

First Computer: Heathkit H-89
First Apple: Apple IIe

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2005, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
I miss System 7 simple to the point, low on resources. Even on my LC475 with 32MB of Ram, and 25Mhz 68040 CPU, it was snappy and quick.
Heh. Lies! All lies! Upgrading a IIsi from 6.0.7 to System 7 slowed the whole computer down remarkably. But golly look at all those "colors". System 7 was definitely cool

For the record my first mac was an SE/30 that was fitted with some kind of awesome graphics card (I think they actually drilled a hole in the case to install it) that drove a gigantic 21" monitor in 1024x768 res with 256 colors AND you could use the built in monitor at the same time. My friends were flabbergasted seeing the cursor going from screen to screen. Not to mention multi-monitor aware After Dark savers. That really floored them.

I however just enjoyed putting pallettes over to that screen and got an early peak at the joys of multi-monitor working

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2005, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Heh. Lies! All lies! Upgrading a IIsi from 6.0.7 to System 7 slowed the whole computer down remarkably. But golly look at all those "colors". System 7 was definitely cool

For the record my first mac was an SE/30 that was fitted with some kind of awesome graphics card (I think they actually drilled a hole in the case to install it) that drove a gigantic 21" monitor in 1024x768 res with 256 colors AND you could use the built in monitor at the same time. My friends were flabbergasted seeing the cursor going from screen to screen. Not to mention multi-monitor aware After Dark savers. That really floored them.

I however just enjoyed putting pallettes over to that screen and got an early peak at the joys of multi-monitor working
The SE/30 came out about the same time as the IIcx. I liked the SE/30, but decided to go with the IIcx.

My memory is fadeing.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2005, 09:08 AM

You should not use words such as 'early peak'. It made me read 'working' as 'wanking'

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2005, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
You should not use words such as 'early peak'. It made me read 'working' as 'wanking'

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2005, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
Maybe you should have done just that before you "came" to the MacNN boards. You dirty boy you!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2005, 09:50 AM

Maybe you should have done just that before you "came" to the MacNN boards. You dirty boy you!
Haha, good point. Must keep that one for future reference

Veronica
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2005, 10:30 AM

I got hooked on Mac when I first used - - e r i k - - 's Powerbook G4 back in 2002. Had earlier tried an iMac, but it couldn't get me hooked as the Powerbook could. And of course with lots of "help" from - - e r i k - -

smithken31100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 11:41 PM

The first Mac I have used is the iBook G4 I bought a couple of weeks ago. I don't think too many schools had computers when I graduated. The computer classes I had after high school were all on mainframes. We didn't get computers at work until the late '80's I think, they were IBM PS2's and the company has stayed with PC's.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 12:12 AM

The first Apple I ever used was in 1980 - 81, in a data processing course in college; I believe it was a ///+, but I can't be sure now.

The first one I owned was a used Quadra 660AV, which I bought in early 1998, as a machine for my youngest daughter, who was starting college. She hardly used it, as she was dating the fellow who's now my son-in-law, so I started playing with it, and in early 2000, I bought my first new Mac, a G3300/B&W tower. I had a lot of trouble with that machine, so my employer, who at that time was an Appe Reseller, took it back, giving me full credit, and sold me a new G4/400 Sawtooth for the same price! I kept that machine for two years, and I currently have an 800/G4 17" FP iMac, which hopefully will be replaced early next year.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by smithken31100:
The first Mac I have used is the iBook G4 I bought a couple of weeks ago. I don't think too many schools had computers when I graduated. The computer classes I had after high school were all on mainframes. We didn't get computers at work until the late '80's I think, they were IBM PS2's and the company has stayed with PC's.
Welcome, btw. I too did my computer stuff on mainframes, using punch cards no less. About the only fun thing with punch cards was dropping someone else's stack and watching them put it together again.
weird wabbit

smithken31100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
Welcome, btw. I too did my computer stuff on mainframes, using punch cards no less. About the only fun thing with punch cards was dropping someone else's stack and watching them put it together again.
Thanks. I try to block all memories of punch cards especially for COBOL programs, I hated COBOL in the first place and it always seemed to take 10 times more cards to write a probram.

theolein  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by smithken31100:
Thanks. I try to block all memories of punch cards especially for COBOL programs, I hated COBOL in the first place and it always seemed to take 10 times more cards to write a probram.
I was actually thrown off a Cobol course in those days, because we had a draconian teacher who had very absolute rules on how to handwrite the code (The S had to have serifs on it to distinguish it from a five for instance) so that data typists would be more productive. I don't know if it's a boon or a bane that I never became a Cobol coder.
weird wabbit

tdvorak
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 06:54 PM

I worked at a newspaper in 1987 and we used Mac II, with Quark. I believe it was XPress version 1.9 or 2.0.

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 07:21 PM

When my dad retired, he took up desktop publishing as a hobby.
First Mac I ever used was his Quadra 800. He had some kind of weird monitor that was taller than it was wide. It was meant to reproduce the dimensions of an 8 1/2 x 11 " sheet of paper, as I recall.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
When my dad retired, he took up desktop publishing as a hobby.
First Mac I ever used was his Quadra 800. He had some kind of weird monitor that was taller than it was wide. It was meant to reproduce the dimensions of an 8 1/2 x 11 " sheet of paper, as I recall.
Yes, dad's newspaper used to have one of those...

On a side note, I had both a Quadra 800 and a PowerMac 6100/60 (this was around the times G3s were hot), and man did I ever use the Quadra instead of the PM. It just felt dog slow in comparison.

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by phantomdragonz:

just to make all of you old farts feel old, I was born in 1986... so I was like 5 at the time I owned that thing.

Zach
Gee thanks Zach; go tell yer Mom to smack ya for me.
P~

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 11:44 PM

Mac II... my dad brought it home when I was four or five

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 12:47 AM

I first used an SE/30 in grade school, but only to play sim city on.
The first Mac my family ever owned was a 7100/66 that still operates perfectly. Before that though, my dad had a 286 Zenith laptop. That computer went out of service last year after many years of operation (we used it to program our X-10 lights). After the 7100 my family went to a Beige G3 (266, 384mb, 80gb) and as of last month they made a rather large jump to a 20" iMac G5.
I got a dual G4 when I started college and my ibook this past summer (see sig).
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

David Thompson
Apr 12, 2005, 12:12 PM

I was actually thrown off a Cobol course in those days, because we had a draconian teacher who had very absolute rules on how to handwrite the code (The S had to have serifs on it to distinguish it from a five for instance) so that data typists would be more productive. I don't know if it's a boon or a bane that I never became a Cobol coder.
I actually got yelled at by the IT director once for keypunching my own programs! (FORTRAN or assembler at the time) It was a LOT faster than having to write the code down so someone else could read it. How times have changed!

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2005, 12:21 PM

When I started college in '85, they had removed the punchcard crap between the time I visited the school in April and when I started in Sept. Between that and being lucky enough to have real personal computers both at home and in school beforehand, I'm VERY glad I missed out on punchcards.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules