Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hitchhiker's Movie - Great

Hitchhiker's Movie - Great
Veronica
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 04:33 AM

I loved it. What did you think?

Sir Arthur Dent
Apr 28, 2005, 05:59 AM

Not open yet here. But I will see it first chance on Friday night.

Veronica  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 09:11 AM

What? I thought U.S. had first rights on premiering movies

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 09:15 AM

But is it froody?
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2005, 10:11 AM

Can't wait to see it.

-t

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2005, 10:49 AM

Mos Def, mos definitely. I wanna see it.
ice

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 8, 2005, 02:10 AM

I didn't really like it. The special effects were nice, but it just didn't work.

I was constantly thinking of the series and the audio version trying to figure out what was what.

I think I prefer the cheezy special effects of the brittish series.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 05:14 AM

I largely agree with the criticism that has been levelled at it by most reviewers.

In other words, while it's enjoyable, it lacks cohesion and just isn't that funny. The dialogue just isn't that amusing. Some of Douglas Adams' best exchanges have been butchered to the point where they leave out the punchlines - so they just don't make any sense, or add anything to the story.

Trillian has an American accent, too. That got on my nerves.

I mean, it was fun and all, but it was only an average movie. Admittedly, I was worried it was going to be a lot, lot worse.

Oh, and look out for the old Marvin from the BBC series. I laughed at that. Nice touch.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
Trillian has an American accent, too. That got on my nerves.
Trillian had an American accent in the BBC TV series. I think she did in the radio series too, though it has been years since I have heard it.

Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 08:54 AM

I loved it too..I laughed alot. My girlfriend who knew nothing about the story before hand also loved it.

But I had low expectations..that always helps

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 01:47 PM

I loved the accurate portrayal of bureaucrats in it.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
Trillian had an American accent in the BBC TV series. I think she did in the radio series too, though it has been years since I have heard it.

Trillian on the BBC Radio series most certainly did NOT have an American accent. In fact, the thing about the radio series (which introduced the world to this stuff and SOO much better than that crappy tv series) is the excellent USE of American accents for COMEDIC EFFECT.

Like the cheerful computer, those Bronx accented senseitive policemen, and so on...

(BTW, once again props to m a d r a for that.)

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 8, 2005, 02:49 PM

I kinda liked the tv series. It was my first exposure to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I heard the radio series after the tv series.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2005, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
Trillian on the BBC Radio series most certainly did NOT have an American accent. In fact, the thing about the radio series (which introduced the world to this stuff and SOO much better than that crappy tv series) is the excellent USE of American accents for COMEDIC EFFECT.

Like the cheerful computer, those Bronx accented senseitive policemen, and so on...

(BTW, once again props to m a d r a for that.)
Actually, most of the American accents were pretty bad. The comedy was wonderful, but those imitation accents were pretty cringeworthy. About as convincingly American as Dick Van Dyke's cockney was in Mary Poppins, and just a bit better than Keanu Reeve's English accent in Dracula.

I haven't heard the radio series in years, so I'm quite prepared to be corrected on the radio series Triallan's accent. The point is that there is little point in criticizing the movie for using an American accent for the character when that rubicon was crossed 24 years ago. The TV series is as much H2G2 as the radio series, and Trillian was definitely American in it (with kind of a Chicago meets New York accent, as I recall).
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; May 8, 2005 at 04:36 PM. )

Ratm
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
Mos Def, mos definitely. I wanna see it.
He was awesome! I loved the movie.
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...yListId=328713

paul w
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
Actually, most of the American accents were pretty bad. The comedy was wonderful, but those imitation accents were pretty cringeworthy. About as convincingly American as Dick Van Dyke's cockney was in Mary Poppins, and just a bit better than Keanu Reeve's English accent in Dracula.

I haven't heard the radio series in years, so I'm quite prepared to be corrected on the radio series Triallan's accent. The point is that there is little point in criticizing the movie for using an American accent for the character when that rubicon was crossed 24 years ago. The TV series is as much H2G2 as the radio series, and Trillian was definitely American in it (with kind of a Chicago meets New York accent, as I recall).

You're just plain wrong. WRONG! It doesn't really matter, but having listened recently to the radio series I'll say:

1. It's far better than the TV show. Even Douglas Adams hated the TV show.
2. It came first, before the books even, and is rather groundbreaking.
3. Trillian is originally British, played by the British actress Susan Sheridan. It doesn't really matter though. I mean really...
4. The accents were NOT that bad (I'm a Yank, and I liked them just fine), and you really shouldn't ever play the Keanu card. That's just lower than low.
5. [has just been turned into a bowl of petunias]

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 05:43 PM

cohesion is not something the books totally have either

-Owl

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 11:56 PM

The thing about it is that zaphod is not literally two headed, Were they too cheap for the special effects? How can two heads fight if there is only one of them. the movie was mostly harmless as competition anyway.

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica
I loved it. What did you think?

Have you read the book??

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2005, 11:39 AM

I'm one happy Frood who know where his towel is!

Veronica  (op)
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Secret__Police
Have you read the book??
I guess you want me to say no so here goes... No.

Saw the movie with - - e r i k - - and he is a great fan of the books and Adams himself and he also loved the film. Just bought the book because I really want to see what else the movie could have offered. Still love it as I've seen it twice already

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2005, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Secret__Police
Have you read the book??
Hope you all enjoy paranthesises:

As Veronica said. I'm a big fan, and now having say the movie twice I can definitely fit it in as one of the versions of Adams vision. Not the most funniest (I'd go with the books there and the radio series a very close second if not a tie). It's way above the TV-series (which I still can't find time to finish watching). Every iteration is different, and with the constraints of the film-medium (which I am somewhat familiar with) the movie works wonders.

By no means perfect, but nowhere near as bad as that nitpicker "fanboy" M.S. Simpson wanted it to be. I own and read his biography on Adams almost a year back, and while it contained a great deal of interesting info, I was left with this queasy taste afterwards.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 9, 2005, 11:10 PM

Mmm... Heard from several very trustworthy people who read the book (Mom among them) that it was extremely dull and not even comparable to the book. It got a lot of bad reviews too so I'm staying away from it.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 12:53 AM

yeah.. but isn't that the case with 99% of book to movie adaptations?
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Forum Links
Forum Rules