Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Couldn't resist... got a new car! {NIGHT PICS INSIDE}

Couldn't resist... got a new car! {NIGHT PICS INSIDE} (Page 2)
kannnichtverbotenwerden
Baninated
Dec 14, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
You can loose $5K on a 6K used car if you give it enough time...

Same can be said for anything, television, computer, clothes, etc. etc. Most major purchases people make except real estate probably, even that is sketch in a lot of areas. Do you buy used underwear?
Considering I got my AWD 230 hp Guigairio designed Subie for $3600, I don't see how. In fact, it's value hasn't even gone down since I bought it. Kristin's accord we snagged for $500 because of the mileage, which admittedly was a very good deal, but it's value hasn't gone down either. Besides, there's a HUGE difference between spending $12,000 on a car and losing five grand and spending upwards of $25k and losing 15k+. New cars are for people dumb enough to believe used cars will perpetually break down and be huge money pits, or people that have way too much money. Sorry.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by kannnichtverbotenwerden
Considering I got my AWD 230 hp Guigairio designed Subie for $3600, I don't see how. In fact, it's value hasn't even gone down since I bought it. Kristin's accord we snagged for $500 because of the mileage, which admittedly was a very good deal, but it's value hasn't gone down either. Besides, there's a HUGE difference between spending $12,000 on a car and losing five grand and spending upwards of $25k and losing 15k+. New cars are for people dumb enough to believe used cars will perpetually break down and be huge money pits, or people that have way too much money. Sorry.
Perhaps I am the former, I am sorry too.

And again sorry, I didn't realize this was Rob, I will concede the argument here.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 12:43 PM

Ever heard of cuba? They haven't had new cars in decades, yet somehow they still have some. As for your used car statement, I bought a subaru with 130,000 miles on it. No mechanical problems and I'm at 190,000 now. I bought a honda with 205,000 on it. Now it has 225,000, no mechanical problems. There's a person at a honda forum with over 500,000 miles on his, original engine and it runs fine. Seeing as you bought a volvo, you should realize how long volvo's used to last, and how just because they're used doesn't mean you need to put time into them.
Congratulations on your luck with used cars. I know many people that have not had such luck, despite spending weeks searching for the "good one" with low mileage and no problems.

Look at it this way: If I purchase a used car with a clean body for $2500, I can afford to get an entirely new engine and transmission and tires/brakes/exhaust for hte life of the car for LESS than the price of a new car, by far. New cars are just a stupid investment. As soon as you drive off the lot, without damaging anything or putting serious wear and tear on anything, you lose 3-5,000 dollars. Then, in the next 5-7 years, the depreciation is also insane. You can easily lose over $20,000 on a $25,000 car. It's just ridiculous.
You're not losing any money! You bought something so that you could use it. Do you get to use it? Yes, you do. It's the same thing with your Mac, your TV, your couch, your clothes, etc.

Again...for your volvo, you know how long the last. You probably spent over 30 grand on your volvo, and I'm sure it'll last a while. But had you spent $5-15,000 on a used volvo, you would have a car that was just as reliable, and have a ton of extra cash on hand in case something ever went wrong, which it probably wouldn't.
I spent $23,000 on it (it was a very good deal). I get an additional 5 years/60,000 miles over a used car. I get a guarantee that the car has never been in a wreck. I get a guarantee that the car is in good condition (for all you know, the guy you buy from never got so much as an oil change). I get a guarantee that there is nothing wrong with the car. It cost me $8,000 to get those things? So what? I'll take that.

Tariq
Dec 14, 2005, 12:55 PM

Looks great! Have fun with it...

But not too much fun. muhahah

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 12:55 PM

Be sure to change the oil after about 1000 miles or so. Sometimes the manual says 3-5,000, but man.... just google for people changing it at 1000. It's filled with metal particles.
Christ dude, I'd be getting an oil change every two weeks. I go 15k miles between changes, because, well that's just when they do it while it's under warranty (the car says how many miles till next service). After its out of warranty, I might drop down to every 10k miles.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Christ dude, I'd be getting an oil change every two weeks. I go 15k miles between changes, because, well that's just when they do it while it's under warranty (the car says how many miles till next service). After its out of warranty, I might drop down to every 10k miles.
I hope you have a diesel!!

And most of the RX-7's were notorious for dying at around 100,000 miles or even before, very sad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2005, 01:48 PM

The 3 is a sweet car.

If I were in the market for a car I'd consider either a Scion tC, Honda Civic, or Mazda 3.

I was impressed when the 6 came out, and I was more than impressed when they (nicely) carried over the styling to the 3.

Every small Mazda I've driven has had impecable handling and a very tight chassis, I'm sure the 3 is no exception.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2005, 01:50 PM

Also once the first few oil changes are out of the way, changing it every 3K miles is a waste. Any newer engine does not wear oil out nearly that fast, 7-10K would be more like it.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tariq
Looks great! Have fun with it...

But not too much fun. muhahah

Who are you ? And registered in 1970 ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
When do we get to see the daylight pictures? I'm very interested.
Sorry wdlove- I got bored with my own thread for a lil bit there. Here she is in the snow.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by lothar56
I hope you have a diesel!!

And most of the RX-7's were notorious for dying at around 100,000 miles or even before, very sad.
No, a 325i, but it says it's supposed to go 15k miles between oil changes so that's what I do.

And yes, my 1994 RX7 died with just over 80k miles on it. I took good care of it, but I also drove the hell out of it.

Veronica
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
The couldn't resist was posting the pics, not buying the car.
Phew

fhoubi
Senior User
Dec 14, 2005, 05:56 PM

Something's missing... SNOWTIRES! Otherwise nice car & color.. My girlfriend would be jealous.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
Something's missing... SNOWTIRES! Otherwise nice car & color.. My girlfriend would be jealous.

Aha! Moving to Georgia in 2 weeks. NO MORE SNOW!

agentz
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2005, 07:28 PM

Nice car! My boyfriend is kinda considering a 3 for his next car.

I bought myself a 9 month old 6 a while back:

A bit bigger than my last two cars (both previous gen Seat Leons) - this one's a 2-litre 6TS, it had just over 11k miles on it when I got it and I got it for a great price. It is an ex Mazda fleet car from their UK headquarters and it showed up at a dealer up here who boobed and priced it wrong on their website - about £2k lower than it should've been according to book. The sales manager wouldn't give it to me at that price but we eventually managed to split the difference.

I like it a lot
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 15, 2005, 01:13 AM

or people that have way too much money. Sorry.
That'd be me!

And I love it!

timmerk
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 03:14 AM

a station wagon?!

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Couldn't resist??? When I can't resist something it's usually a chocolate bar. That's what I can afford

Please post a pic of your chocolate bar. Opened.
I, ASIMO.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by timmerk
a station wagon?!
It's a hatchback

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 15, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I was referring to the FIRST 1000 miles. Not every 1000 miles. That's just stupid. Look what the thread is about. Then read my response. Then put them together.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 15, 2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Also once the first few oil changes are out of the way, changing it every 3K miles is a waste. Any newer engine does not wear oil out nearly that fast, 7-10K would be more like it.
If you're using synthetic oil, the oil never wears out. It just gets dirty and becomes contaminated with other fluids.

MightyWinnebago
Baninated
Dec 15, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
Do snow tires even come with that low of a profile sidewall?

Forum Links
Forum Rules