Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The "Help Me Find A Dog" Thread

The "Help Me Find A Dog" Thread
PDX Chris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 08:22 PM

Hi, I'm moving into my new place here in 6 more days, and I'm inquiring about owning a dog for the first time (I've grown up with them my whole life, my family has owned 12 or so since I was a child), but this one I'll be able to call my own!

I'm trying to come up with a "unique" dog to have, since it seems like just about everyone owns Labs here in the northwest...

I can't stress this enough, but I will be looking into the local Portland animal rescue facilities first before deciding on what to get.

So far, I've been interested in a few different dogs, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them before I investigate a bit further.

Shiba Inu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiba_Inu
Finnish Spitz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Spitz
Norwegian Buhund: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Buhund
Keeshond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeshond
Basenji: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basenji (these don't really bark, but yodel instead; pretty cool!)
Brittany Spaniel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany_Spaniel

I'm not looking for a low maintenance dog, but rather one that will keep up with me out on the trails around Mt. Hood; I'm looking for a dog who I can take camping, hiking, running and biking in stride. I would LOVE to find a dog that does well off-leash (to a certain degree) and will listen to commands.

I'd prefer not having a dog that weighs over 40 pounds (too much dog) and would look forward to running around in the park down the street from me.

Any thoughts?
When I was in the military they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one.
~Epitaph of Leonard P. Matlovich

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2005, 09:39 PM

Get an Aussie.

They're Aussie-some.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2005, 09:49 PM

I know a bit about the brittanys, had a springer spaniel growing up as well. (Nearly the same dog, really.)

You have kids? Cats? Will you have a yard? Are you looking for a frisbee dog, or a hunting dog, or just a pal?

Gator Lager
Senior User
Dec 30, 2005, 10:09 PM

Here is my vote. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/siberianhusky.htm
I had one.
Be warned, they are conniving dogs. I have lots of funny stories about Lucan.
Man, I miss my bud

Check with the Husky rescue. Or what ever breed you opt for. The rescue folks do a great service.

PDX Chris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Get an Aussie.

They're Aussie-some.
Shush! Check your PM.
When I was in the military they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2005, 10:51 PM

A shiba inu is a wonderful dog, also, though might be a little on the small side for 10 mile bicycle rides.

What about a greyhound? Especially a retired greyhound? They have wonderful temperaments.

I have to get some shut-eye.

Taking my dog out for a run around the yard and potty and then we're going to snuggle up in bed and read a book and sleep.

Night night!

PDX Chris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 10:52 PM

A bit more information, since some have asked:

No kids, no other pets. The dog will be the center of my attention (as all dogs should be )

I'm in a townhouse (about 1200 square feet) with a small backyard, but a 3 acre park is literally right outside my doorstep.

I am a VERY active person and I work as a civilian for these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Pararescue

Working out with them isn't mandatory for me, but hanging out with those knuckle heads makes me active, indeed. (Before you all slam me with your political views because of who I work for, back off. It's a job, it goes no further than that.)

I'm looking for a dog that I can run around with for about an hour or so a day (and I mean RUN), hike up trails in the Mt. Hood area, hang around me while camping, go fishing with me, and run behind me while on my bike.

Pretty much my partner in crime; I keep her/him slim and trim and their enthusiasm keeps me chasing `em around, trying to stay in shape.

Cucucachoo
Dec 31, 2005, 12:05 AM

I like a Pug or a Boston Terrier.

I have a Boston and she is a great dog. Fun to play with and not to big.

She never barks. Unless someone knocks on the door. But doesn't all dogs do that.

As far as being active. I have never had a problem with mine wanting to go for runs or walks with me. She is a great dog. She needs no leash and listens to commands.

My Boston weighs in just under 20 pounds and is a lean mean tug-a-war machine.

Good luck on your dog purchase.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

ledzeppelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 02:12 AM

Based on your choices, I've gotta go with the Finnish Spitz

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 10:15 AM

I still think an Aussie. They're wonderful for agility and stamina.

Sent you a link to this article and I still think the best choice is an Aussie or a Border Collie - both are some of the smartest dogs in the world (they are very closely related and often mistaken for each other but the Aussie simply does not have a tail) and here is a great Border Collie site for you to see.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 10:17 AM

Haha, great pic! ;-)

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2005, 10:18 AM

I agree completely with aussie dogs. Also love labs and german shepherds. We've got an irish wolfhound mix that we love too.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 10:25 AM

Another great article about Border Collies.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 11:24 AM

You should listen to Cody, she will be able to give you the best recommendation. My friend.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ledzeppelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 11:30 AM

( Last edited by ledzeppelin; Jan 29, 2006 at 11:59 PM. )

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 11:36 AM

jesus christ man, go to the local shelter and save one of the dogs there before you pay too much for an inbred, retarded dog that will pick up some ailment in less than a decade.

there can be some awesome dogs at the local shelters.

PDX Chris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
jesus christ man, go to the local shelter and save one of the dogs there before you pay too much for an inbred, retarded dog that will pick up some ailment in less than a decade.

there can be some awesome dogs at the local shelters.
Yep, which is why I originally wrote:

Originally Posted by PDX Chris
I can't stress this enough, but I will be looking into the local Portland animal rescue facilities first before deciding on what to get.

So far, I've been interested in a few different dogs, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them before I investigate a bit further.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 12:50 PM

right, but i interpreted that as something analagous to playing with something at best buy before you order it online.

your first post seemed very much like you're going to throw down the cash on a purebred.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 01:00 PM

He does not sound that way. Yes, a lot of dogs at shelters need homes. Including purebred dogs - which is what I've been rehoming for several years. There are SO MANY purebred dogs that need homes for one reason or another.

PDX Chris  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
right, but i interpreted that as something analagous to playing with something at best buy before you order it online.

your first post seemed very much like you're going to throw down the cash on a purebred.
No, what I'm really looking for is feedback from previous owners about the above mentioned dogs. I'm not limiting myself to those, and I've been to the Oregon Humane Society already to get an idea of what dogs were available for adoption.

Most of the dogs at OHS were large breed (>60 lbs) which is a little too much dog for me. I'd rather have a dog around 30 to 40 lbs with around 50 lbs being the largest.

The dogs I quickly listed happen to be about that size (in the 30 to 50 lb range) I wanted, had good temperament, and were active. Which is also the type of dogs I'm looking for through the Oregon Humane Society. If I can find a, say, Labrador and Boxer mix in the size range I'm looking for, .

I'm trying to go about this in an informed manner. My parents have made the mistake before of purchasing a dog that they knew nothing about, but got the dog anyway because it was "cute". Ideally I want to talk to previous owners and discover the quirks and attitudes that go along with the different dog breeds.

Owning a dog is not a short-term commitment. So yes, your quote "analagous to playing with something at best buy" before making a purchase decision is taken as a compliment, whether you intended it to be or not.

Thanks!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 06:35 AM

WELL, which one did you get?

ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW!!!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 07:00 AM

Get an Aussie.

They're Aussie-some.
Never heard of them. What are they? Some sort of Blue Heeler/Border Collie cross?

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 08:06 AM

Border Collies will keep running until they drop (which will be long after you do). They are the true duracell bunnies. They can also be very well trained off lead (obviously). Springer spaniels are similar (full of beans), not sure how obedient they are though.

Don't get a Beagle. Although very active they couldn't care less about what you want them to do.

hart
Senior User
Jan 13, 2006, 10:39 AM

I looked into Shiba Inus because they look so smart and alert. But they are NOT good off-leash dogs. They are known for making a dash out the front door at the first opportunity. Plus they are able to leap fences and do so.

I vote for shelter dog too. If you really want a specific breed contact a rescue organization for that breed.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 11:17 AM

Yeah, but have you FELT a Shiba Inu?

They are SO soft...they are like touching mink, no joke. Their fur is amazing. They're not like any other dog, to be honest.

I once took care of a Shiba Inu named Junior. He loved me...and hated everyone else. He would growl at anyone who came near me - after only being with me for about 2 hours. He finally snapped at someone and I had to find him a new home right away (he was a rescue to begin with and I was just rehoming him anyway) but he was awesome.

I think it depends on the dog as to whether or not it runs away, partially, anyway.

I'm on my way up to get a Basenji puppy that needs a home. He has a bad bite and the kennel needs a new home for him as a result. I have to be careful where he goes because Basenjis are notorious escape artists. I'll be interested to meet him - never met one before.

Have a great day!

hart
Senior User
Jan 13, 2006, 11:28 AM

You know, I've never actually touched one, I just admire them from afar. They've become somewhat popular in our neighborhood. But I love their look, the keen eagerness in their eyes.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 11:39 AM

Yes, they're GREAT.

And they are so plush and soft and just cuddly. They're awesome.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 11:44 AM

Yes, they're GREAT.

And they are so plush and soft and just cuddly. They're awesome.

Should listen and take the advice of Cody.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 03:51 AM

I brought home a Basenji puppy that needs a home tonight...I am SO tired from 10 hours of driving to go get him and bring him back. His bite is off so he can't be shown and he needs a new home for that reason, but also because he has a heart murmur, apparently.

I have never interacted with a Basenji in my life. I tried to read as much as I could about them and a great deal of what I read was cautioning people that sometimes they can be too independent, run away, love to ruin households with chewing, and sometimes are not friendly. They have only been in this country and domesticated for about 75 years so from that standpoint they are fascinating.

First impressions when I saw the parents and the adults?

Very elegant and beautiful little gazelle-like dogs. Spirited. Quiet. Attentive. Followed me wherever I went and when meeting me sniffed gently then sat down and quietly watched me (adults). No jumping up on me. No slavish attention. Just quiet and respectful. I was really struck by how beautiful they are.

The puppies (one of which I was there to pick up) were also interested and came up quickly, but didn't stay there. Only after sitting on the floor for about 30 minutes watching them did they decide that I was "safe" and they all piled into my lap together and fought over who would get to sit in my lap.

They are extremely soft and that rumor that they don't shed or very little is true from what I can see and feel. They have extremely soft short fur that is very nice to touch and they apparently do
NOT shed from what I could see.

They also have no odor at ALL - as in zilch - another trait of the breed.

Anyway, they are also barkless but that didn't mean that the puppies are silent! They whined and growled at each other like regular puppies.

I have to say that I am enchanted with the breed. I understand that a good kennel and good breeding is a must because they are a more primitive breed, less domesticated, and they must be socialized in the house and with humans from tiny puppies.

The one that I brought home is curled up in a little ball in my lap and is fast asleep. He is black with a white chest and has tan on his face, he is tricolored. White legs and feet, white tip on his tail, and white blaze on his face.

They are about 20 to 25 pounds full grown and very agile and quick.

Chris, from what I can see I would really recommend one. I've read horror stories about them but I am very pleasantly surprised and very impressed. Very affectionate little dogs when they decide they trust and like you.

to the Basenjis.

(Hi WD - made it home safely...WHEW!)

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 11:26 AM

get a cat - they are better (runs and hides)

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2006, 11:32 AM

American Water Spaniels are nice
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2006, 11:36 AM

Of the choices you listed, I'd nix the shiba and the keeshond. Otherwise they all look like great choices. Are you planning on buying through a breeder?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 12:00 PM

Well, the Basenji was on the bed sleeping with me and when my husband came in this morning to give me a cup of coffee he erupted into a snarling vicious dog - NOT KIDDING.

And he's only 12 weeks old!

No matter who comes towards me, no matter where I am, the Basenji is menacing.

Good thing he's going to his new home today! WHEW. Wonderful dog...but VERY territorial.

This is why I love dog rescue...you get to meet so many different breeds. They all have their pawsitives...and negatives.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 12:16 PM

Well, the Basenji was on the bed sleeping with me and when my husband came in this morning to give me a cup of coffee he erupted into a snarling vicious dog - NOT KIDDING.

And he's only 12 weeks old!

No matter who comes towards me, no matter where I am, the Basenji is menacing.

Good thing he's going to his new home today! WHEW. Wonderful dog...but VERY territorial.

This is why I love dog rescue...you get to meet so many different breeds. They all have their pawsitives...and negatives.

Hi Cody,

I was thinking about you on your trip yesterday. Thanks for the update.

Look forward to our next chat. Hope that your can be a frequent participant on my site also, so appreciated.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 04:00 AM

Hi WD...

Yes, I'll chat soon.

I HAVE *BIG* NEWS!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 11:18 AM

You're pregnant!?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 01:14 PM

NO.

Veronica
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2006, 09:55 AM

Go for the Norwegian Buhund! They're the best companion on walks in forests and mountains. And you should call it Trixie. All us Norwegians seem to be calling our Buhunds that :-/

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 10:11 AM

Picture, please, Veronica?

And if you're from Norwegia (just kidding - Norway) then why are you in Australia?

Thanks!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 10:18 AM

Okay, I just looked at one.

They look exactly like a cross between a German shepherd and a Shiba Inu.

They are a "primitive breed" it says?

They look cool, though!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 08:54 PM

Hi WD...

Yes, I'll chat soon.

I HAVE *BIG* NEWS!

I so look forward to our next Chat Cody. I miss you!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 09:37 PM

WD:

I didn't call today because my tooth hurts so much and it's hard to talk.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 02:54 AM

You two need to get a room...(chat room). Quit hijacking this thread.

Chris you should look into getting a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Don't let their short legs fool you. Those little guys can run.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Veronica
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2006, 03:29 AM

Picture, please, Veronica?

And if you're from Norwegia (just kidding - Norway) then why are you in Australia?

Thanks!
PDX Chris already had a link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Buhund.

And sorry late answer, had to finish University stuff before holiday. My Uni is in Australia

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 07:22 AM

IMO go for a Jack Russell Terrier

wiki at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Russel_Terrier

They are one of the smartest, if not the smartest dogs around. I used to know one, it was so smart I could swear that I could have a conversation with it. Granted...you need to train it to be smart

Also, they aren't too big, yet big enough to follow you around where ever you want to go.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2006, 07:38 AM

Nicko:

Good choice...for a farm.

I RESPECTFULLY disagree.

I know you love them but living with one is another story.

In the 7 years I've done dog rescue and about 70 dogs, 10 of them were JRTs. They shed a LOT even if they are "broken-coated" meaning that they have a wiry coat like a wire-fox terrier. In fact, I think of all the dogs I've ever dealt with, they shed the most. But that's not the problem with them.

Their first and last (and even middle) instinct is to dig and chew and burrow. Oh, and bark. No matter how old they are, they will likely destroy the home even though you provide them with an inordinate amount of chew toys. They will chew on the sofa, the rug, they will even seize upon a tiny piece of thread sticking up from a carpet and they will work on that until they unravel the rug or dig a hole in the carpeting.

Then, as I mentioned, they are barkers. They will bark and whine incessantly. That is also what they are bred to do.

Lastly, they ARE hyper. They NEVER mellow out, ever. Don't ever expect a Jack Russell to lay calmly on the floor at your feet while you do work. They won't.

And think that taking them out for a 10-mile run will wear them out and calm them down? Think again. It won't.

Coming from someone who has experienced 10 of them, literally, I can justifiably say that it takes a VERY SPECIAL home, probably a ranch or a farm and an outdoor run to keep them in at night, to keep a Jack Russell.

I do not recommend them even though they are cute.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2006, 07:48 AM

Nicko:

Good choice...for a farm.

I RESPECTFULLY disagree.

I know you love them but living with one is another story.

In the 7 years I've done dog rescue and about 70 dogs, 10 of them were JRTs. They shed a LOT even if they are "broken-coated" meaning that they have a wiry coat like a wire-fox terrier. In fact, I think of all the dogs I've ever dealt with, they shed the most. But that's not the problem with them.

Their first and last (and even middle) instinct is to dig and chew and burrow. Oh, and bark. No matter how old they are, they will likely destroy the home even though you provide them with an inordinate amount of chew toys. They will chew on the sofa, the rug, they will even seize upon a tiny piece of thread sticking up from a carpet and they will work on that until they unravel the rug or dig a hole in the carpeting.

Then, as I mentioned, they are barkers. They will bark and whine incessantly. That is also what they are bred to do.

Lastly, they ARE hyper. They NEVER mellow out, ever. Don't ever expect a Jack Russell to lay calmly on the floor at your feet while you do work. They won't.

And think that taking them out for a 10-mile run will wear them out and calm them down? Think again. It won't.

Coming from someone who has experienced 10 of them, literally, I can justifiably say that it takes a VERY SPECIAL home, probably a ranch or a farm and an outdoor run to keep them in at night, to keep a Jack Russell.

I do not recommend them even though they are cute.

Hehe ya I seem to remember it whining alot now that I think about it. Also...it wasn't my dog, so its not like I had to take care of it or live with it.

My family has a Chihuahua/Terrier - good guard dog

and a mini-Chihuahua purabred - she is a basketcase (want to see what separation anxiety looks like?) but the cutest dog on the planet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules