Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sirius might censor Howard Stern

Sirius might censor Howard Stern
Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2006, 03:11 PM

If they do, what's to stop them from censoring everything. And if that happens I suppose it'll be no better than public radio.....except you can hear the same edited material across the country....yay! I just don't get it.

Sirius May Censor Howard Stern
by Jack Ryan
Jan 23, 2006

Don Kaplan of the New York Post writes that "Howard Stern may be coming down with a Sirius case of the bleeps ... High-level executives of the satellite broadcaster are developing an internal standards-and-practices document that will set boundaries for Stern and other shock jocks."

Now how funny is that? It's not the FCC but Sirius itself that may be silencing the ferocity of vulgarity eminating from Stern's mouth.

"It's something that's being taken very seriously," a Sirius source said, according to the Post.

Stern's new program is now reportedly being broadcast on a time-delay, which affords the opportunity to censor the program -- which has already happened.

Stern moved to Sirius largely in part because satellite radio offerings such as Sirius and XM because unlike free radio, satellite broadcasts are not policed by the FCC.
Continue reading this article below

The FCC spent years waging an indecency war against Stern and he has hailed his move to Sirius as a way for him to finally be free.

The Post points out that "Sirius' move toward self-censorship comes as mounting pressure continues in Congress to regulate programming of cable and satellite radio and TV."

For many years, cable executives have ignored government threats of regulation, claiming that self-policing has been more than adequate.

Satellite radio seems to be getting ready to emulate that move.

It's not clear at this time whether or not Stern knew he'd be subject to any limitations when he signed on with Sirius, which is paying him a reported $100 million a year.

However, rumors abound that Stern might not have been aware and could be planning to bail on the sattelite provider.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 03:35 PM

You americans really have issues with talking/seeing/hearing/etc. vulgarity, sexuality etc.

Like on battlestar galactica where they say "frak". WTF's up with that ? Everybody knows the word then why not use it ? By saying "frak" you make the use of that certain word more obvious. I mean: if they would just say **** I wouldn't think about it. Every time they say "frak" I think to myself oh, he said ****. Hope this makes any sense I'm tired, nervous for the exam that I'm going to fail tonight and thinking about which strategy to apply tomorrow when hitting on some girl from school.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2006, 03:40 PM

Yeah, what the frack ?

Funny though, will all those people demand their money back if they can't hear Stern cuzing ?

-t

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 03:41 PM

I'm curious what has brought on the censorship. I assume anyone listening to stern knew what they were in for.

Nick
Jan 23, 2006, 03:48 PM

Sad.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 04:35 PM

This is crazy, how far can the government reach? If I pay for a service that is LEGAL, how in the world can they then censor it? If the public knows what to expect then let the language fly!

The same is going on with cable TV, they are basically self regulated too (pressure is mounting though). Notice that FX is willing to push the envelope from time to time.

What next? HBO with beeps and blurs?

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 04:40 PM

As long as they leave Skinemax alone.....

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
This is crazy, how far can the government reach? If I pay for a service that is LEGAL, how in the world can they then censor it? If the public knows what to expect then let the language fly!

The same is going on with cable TV, they are basically self regulated too (pressure is mounting though). Notice that FX is willing to push the envelope from time to time.

What next? HBO with beeps and blurs?
This is an internal Sirius memo, not government regulation, although I do not discount the possibility of Sirius being frightened by the prospect of future government regulation. Congress is holding hearings on whether the government will be able to regulate satellite. The consensus is that, at minimum, Congress would need to pass a new law to accomplish that. That's just what we need, an all powerful FCC! Sirius may be attempting to appease law makers by imposing regulations on Stern. I wasn't in the car this morning to hear Howard (since I don't have my home unit yet), so I'm waiting to hear what his reaction was to the news.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 04:53 PM

$5 says they're getting pressure from somewhere.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 23, 2006, 05:10 PM

Folks, people listened to Stern to see how far he would go to piss off the FCC. That was about the only fun in it.

Now he is on Sirius, they will have to create a "man" to rile against as well.

Else Stern isn't that interesting.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Like on battlestar galactica where they say "frak". WTF's up with that ? Everybody knows the word then why not use it ?
OT: Because language evolves and it would be pretty egotistical to think that today's slang will still be current in the far-flung future. Dropping the f-bomb a hundred years from now might be about as meaningful as saying 'jeepers.'

Besides, they said 'frak' in the 1970s series and I think it's a nice nod to the original.

meelk
Baninated
Jan 23, 2006, 05:39 PM

100 million a year and he would leave because he cant curse? what a moron.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 05:41 PM

frankly, the fcc is a non issue...stern on sirius is fun fun fun...

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
Besides, they said 'frak' in the 1970s series and I think it's a nice nod to the original.
I'm waiting for them to bring back "felgercarb"...
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 06:30 PM

I watched Stern as a teen when he was just starting out in NY. I remember the shows quite vividly. (Anyone remember Mrs. Feirstein? Mamaluka Bubuday? Out of the closet Stern? The Hollywood Squares sketches? )

Then there were his "I'm too drugged out and senseless to be creative" years. Those sucked.

I think he has degenerated from his height of creativity, personally. And I think his character has been revealed for what it is (I feel for anyone in the public eye). He's become the incarnation of America's ugly underbelly.

HOWEVER, the PT Barnums of this seedy sideshow now want to shave the bearded lady. I'm not sure whether or not our society needs this window into the world of arrested development, but I'm sure that those working the system (both Howard and Sirius) are suffering their own version of hell for the paths they have decided to take. There will not be peace along either path.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Folks, people listened to Stern to see how far he would go to piss off the FCC. That was about the only fun in it.

Else Stern isn't that interesting.
Bingo. This is publicity. Sirius vs Stern. It's a ridiculous plot to make people interested and get articles written.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
frankly, the fcc is a non issue...stern on sirius is fun fun fun...
Honestly, I think you are wrong, and I hate it that you are. It is totally ridiculous that the FCC would want to get involved, but it's exactly what they are wanting to do around the country right now.

Senators are trying to make a name for themselves by going after cable and satellite radio.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 09:00 PM

I read last week in the WSJ that Sirius had been conducting some studies about the viability of Howard Stern in the long run, and apparently they came to the conclusion that listeners were not as captivated by the uncensored Howard Stern. Apparently, one of the reasons behind his past success was that there was an element of mystery about what he was saying. People wondered what on earth could be so bad that they would have to censor entire sentences. Now apparently Sirius is worried that the shock of Howard Stern could wear off and his audiences may shrink.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Now apparently Sirius is worried that the shock of Howard Stern could wear off and his audiences may shrink.
Bullcrap.

As any longtime fan of the Howard Stern Show will tell you, the show *isn't* about the language, or what he says, or even lesbians. It's about the whole "clubhouse" vibe, the lighthearted (peppered with serious) banter between Howard, Robin, Artie, Gary etc., the revolving door of regular characters and extended, provocative celebrity interviews.

I've been listening to the new show since day 1, and I'll tell you, the uncensored cursing is next to meaningless. Yeah, it got played up the first few days, but now it's just part of the normal flow of dialogue, and isn't "shocking" at all. The freedom of speech isn't about cursing, it's about content.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2006, 10:16 PM

What's to stop a foreign company from providing satellite radio/tv? they could sit pretty in a more tolerant country while collecting subscription fees from Americans who want uncensored content without being subjeted to the FCC... Or forget the satellites, bring it to us over IP.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn
Bullcrap.

As any longtime fan of the Howard Stern Show will tell you, the show *isn't* about the language, or what he says, or even lesbians. It's about the whole "clubhouse" vibe, the lighthearted (peppered with serious) banter between Howard, Robin, Artie, Gary etc., the revolving door of regular characters and extended, provocative celebrity interviews.

I've been listening to the new show since day 1, and I'll tell you, the uncensored cursing is next to meaningless. Yeah, it got played up the first few days, but now it's just part of the normal flow of dialogue, and isn't "shocking" at all. The freedom of speech isn't about cursing, it's about content.
Although I have yet to hear the "Free" Howard (freed from FCC constraints) I can imagine everything you say being true about language becoming incidental to the actual show content.

Although I do believe the FCC also directly or indirectly governed radio station content.

To point out the hypocrisy of the FCC he once hosted on his website a side by side comparison between a show he did and was fined for and an almost identical subject featured on an episode of OPRAH, which (needless to say) wasn't cited as offensive.

It was remarkable how the comparison illustrated the selective enforcement. If I recall correctly, the Oprah show actually mentioned penis or other words that the Stern show also mentioned and yet only Stern was cited.

Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 10:34 PM

Honestly, I think you are wrong, and I hate it that you are. It is totally ridiculous that the FCC would want to get involved, but it's exactly what they are wanting to do around the country right now.

Senators are trying to make a name for themselves by going after cable and satellite radio.
i stand corrected...yes i agree with you the fcc really has a chip with howard...and they ARE going to try to go after howard...what a strange sentence)...

i was "answering" zim that without the fcc, stern has no foe so he needs to make one up... although i do agree there WILL be a "da man" ...the fcc...sirius management, or even made up...

i say, stern is funny just being stern + family...to me that is the heart of the stern popularity, the relationships between the 5 or so members of the show...

i see o. j....

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 10:43 PM

The FCC, by way of a corporte kabal between Clear Channel, Viacom and lord knows who else, are gunning to bring regulation to Satellite Radio. Stern spent the first hour of the show talkng about this, about the OP's story and one in the NY Post, that are basically fabrications to push the agenda.

Howard aside, it is truly scary. If I can't PAY for the content I want, what kind of effing country is this?

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn
The FCC, by way of a corporte kabal between Clear Channel, Viacom and lord knows who else, are gunning to bring regulation to Satellite Radio. Stern spent the first hour of the show talkng about this, about the OP's story and one in the NY Post, that are basically fabrications to push the agenda.

Howard aside, it is truly scary. If I can't PAY for the content I want, what kind of effing country is this?

Wiretaps YES.

Uncensored Radio NO.

The only answer: President Stern.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Angelo78
Sirius May Censor Howard Stern
by Jack Ryan
Jan 23, 2006

Don Kaplan of the New York Post writes that "Howard Stern may be coming down with a Sirius case of the bleeps ... High-level executives of the satellite broadcaster are developing an internal standards-and-practices document that will set boundaries for Stern and other shock jocks."

However, rumors abound that Stern might not have been aware and could be planning to bail on the sattelite provider.
The source is the New York Post... nuff said. I'm still waiting for the McDonald/iTunes contest giving away 1 billion songs to happen. That was reported by them like 2 years ago.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

meelk
Baninated
Jan 24, 2006, 01:04 AM

Greaseman would have cock slapped Stern into submission.

MinM
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2006, 02:01 AM

This is crazy, how far can the government reach?
"High-level executives of the satellite broadcaster are developing an internal standards-and-practices document that will set boundaries for Stern and other shock jocks."
Damn that government!
( Last edited by MinM; Jan 24, 2006 at 02:08 AM. )

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by MinM
Damn that government!
Okay, let's see if you can follow the LOGIC GENIUS! Why are they coming up with this self regulation? Because of oncoming pressure from the government. Do a google search for it and see how they are stepping in on cable tv now, then read what senators are saying about satallite radio. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the gov. will be gunning for it sooner rather than later.

Your post truly shows ignorance.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2006, 10:38 AM

You americans really have issues with talking/seeing/hearing/etc. vulgarity, sexuality etc.

Like on battlestar galactica where they say "frak". WTF's up with that ? Everybody knows the word then why not use it ? By saying "frak" you make the use of that certain word more obvious. I mean: if they would just say **** I wouldn't think about it. Every time they say "frak" I think to myself oh, he said ****. Hope this makes any sense I'm tired, nervous for the exam that I'm going to fail tonight and thinking about which strategy to apply tomorrow when hitting on some girl from school.
"Frak" was from the original show.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin

All debunked this morning, there is no internal censoring, just bad journalism.

The fact is Stern doubled Sirius' subscriber base to 3 mil last year.

Even if they lost a FULL million and had ZERO growth this year, Stern still paid for himself and still put an extra $56 million in Sirius' pocket per year.

My prediction is that they will eclipse XM this year.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar
That about sums about Howard Stern's show.

-t

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2006, 11:40 AM

How this guy has amassed such a rabid following I'll never know. Then again, people wonder how Michael Savage has pulled in 10 million a week.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar

The fact is Stern doubled Sirius' subscriber base to 3 mil last year.

Even if they lost a FULL million and had ZERO growth this year, Stern still paid for himself and still put an extra $56 million in Sirius' pocket per year.

My prediction is that they will eclipse XM this year.
I'd heard him interviewed on Larry king and he alluded to Sirius having already made back all the money they promised him in his contract and then some, as you pointed out. But are you saying the censorship issue was also debunked? Did Howard say that everything is OK?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 24, 2006, 11:49 AM

Note that Battlestar Galactica is shot in Canada.

Canada is a little more liberal about using the f word, but still not liberal enough to use it on all channels at all times.

The funniest though was when I watching a movie on CityTV in Toronto a while back. "f v c k er" was OK, but "Mother f v c k er" was not. So whenever they said "Mother f v c k er" in the movie, it was bleeped as "........f v c k er".

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi
Yeah, that too.

P.S I can't stand Howard Stern. Listening to him is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 06:37 AM

http://www.georgetakei.com/news.asp
January, 2006

Why Howard Stern?

by George Takei

The twists and turns of life can be so unpredictable. The day after New Year's, a phone call suddenly presented an utterly unexpected prospect for me. It was from Gary Dell'Abate, the producer of the Howard Stern Show on the satellite radio network, Sirius.

I had been on the Howard Stern Show many times before - a few times intentionally, but more often, not. The times I went on the Stern Show with purpose were to promote a play I was doing or the publication of my autobiography, "To the Stars." But more frequently, I've been on the show via bandit recordings of phrases I said while on the show - like, "Oh my!" - or a phone conversation with a celebrity imitator with whom I talked, thinking it was the real celebrity - most absurdly, a brief conversation with a rather poor imitator of Ricardo Montalban. Howard Stern has had his fun with me - and his listeners seemed to be having a hilarious good time listening to his mischiefs. The Stern Show technicians even took my voice from the audiocassette version of my autobiography and manipulated the words to make it seem as if I were actually making some outrageously vulgar statements. They say they're doing all this because they love me, but, I must say, I've never been loved in such a bizarre way.

CONTD AT LINK

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 06:40 AM

who cares, its not like you can say **** here either. See the stars, case in point.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
I'd heard him interviewed on Larry king and he alluded to Sirius having already made back all the money they promised him in his contract and then some, as you pointed out. But are you saying the censorship issue was also debunked? Did Howard say that everything is OK?
Howard said that as far as he knows, there is no veracity to the rumor - if Sirius is planning to censor the show, it hasn't been discussed with him. I was also told he has provisions in his contract protecting the show from corporate censorship.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 07:09 AM

It made the news here not to long ago so they could bring it in to Canadian market. Sirius dosen't want to risk pissing off regulation athorities up here.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by starman
"Frak" was from the original show.
Yeah, I know. But you can be pretty sure that the reason behind it was the FCC.

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Note that Battlestar Galactica is shot in Canada.
Yeah, but the show is supposed to air for and American audience as well.

It's just that "frak" sound ridiculous and it adds emphasis to the word because the word isn't as "natural" to most people as f uck.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

tikki
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 10:07 AM

Stern is so irrelevant at this point. Anyone see the Rolling Stone assault he got? I'll take Opie and Anthony on XM. I'd much rather cringe to a guy getting a mousetrap on his nutsack than listen to Hoo Hoo talk about how everyone is ripping him off.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
It made the news here not to long ago so they could bring it in to Canadian market. Sirius dosen't want to risk pissing off regulation athorities up here.
You're wrong, Athens. Yes, Sirius is not officially available in Canada due to regulations, but it was unavailable there long before Howard made the move. Sirius' content is uncensored in general - not just the content of Howard's channels. You cannot be right, for if Sirius intended to sanitize its offerings just to get into Canada, that would most assuredly be the end of the company. Stern denies there's any move toward censorship, and he should know - he's has a significant financial stake in the company and is very close to Karmazin.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 09:16 PM

Just get XM its alot better!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 09:26 PM

The FCC and religious right (FCC, Bush admin.) regulating pay radio, cable, book stores will be the end of a free society and the start of communist society. This regulation of pay anything will NEVER happen. Imagine going to a book store and being told you are not allowed to purchase it because of its content or paying for HBO and having it bleeped or regulated to protect you based on the govenment standards. Imagine trying to access something on the internet and the page blocked because the FCC or whomever says your not permitted to freely look at that website! Sounds scary huh? I will personally join any revolt and I know many of my fellow American's will fight the government controlling my personal life and my CHOICE of what content I DECIDED to view/listen/read. I hope the powers that be come to their senses and stop this insane idea. If Satt. Radio is censored the revolution of another kind will result.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by tikki
Stern is so irrelevant at this point. Anyone see the Rolling Stone assault he got? I'll take Opie and Anthony on XM. I'd much rather cringe to a guy getting a mousetrap on his nutsack than listen to Hoo Hoo talk about how everyone is ripping him off.
Wow, great article there. I used to listen a while back, this describes what I feel perfectly. I'd wonder who the "hot, new, out there" radio host will be? Anyone know what the next wave of talk radio will be?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2006, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
The FCC and religious right (FCC, Bush admin.) regulating pay radio, cable, book stores will be the end of a free society and the start of communist society.
Indeed, Senator Ted Stephens of the Commerce Committee (which authorizes the FCC), is looking into whether the FCC has, or could be granted, the authority to regulate satellite radio as it does coventional broadcast TV and radio. In fact, he admitted the recent hearings held on the subject were spurred by the movement of "a certain shock jock" to satellite radio. If Congress were to produce legislation authorizing the FCC to regulate a wholly separate paid service, the effects on free speech would be chilling indeed. It would likely only take an additional nip-slip overreaction to cause the government to crack down on all forms of expression, including the Internet. Sure, the courts would probably strike the legislation down eventually, yet in the intervening period a tremendous amount of damage would be done. So even if you're not a fan of Stern (and even if you psychotically prefer the bitches O+A), you should be concerned about the government's continued crusade to shut him down.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2006, 03:08 AM

That's what I was saying earlier, it is crazy what politicians think they need to "protect" us from. Simply amazing that this doesn't stir more people up.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 03:14 AM

This regulation of pay anything will NEVER happen. Imagine going to a book store and being told you are not allowed to purchase it because of its content or paying for HBO and having it bleeped or regulated to protect you based on the govenment standards. Imagine trying to access something on the internet and the page blocked because the FCC or whomever says your not permitted to freely look at that website! Sounds scary huh? I will personally join any revolt and I know many of my fellow American's will fight the government controlling my personal life and my CHOICE of what content I DECIDED to view/listen/read. I hope the powers that be come to their senses and stop this insane idea. If Satt. Radio is censored the revolution of another kind will result.
I feel the same way!

The FCC and religious right (FCC, Bush admin.) regulating pay radio, cable, book stores will be the end of a free society and the start of communist society.
I feel MOSTLY the same way. I want to listen, read and view what I want and not what Big Brother says I should. But I don't believe censorship would literally plant the seeds of communism. Some other, "ism," maybe.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by tikki
I read a few lines from the article and intend to read it later at my leisure. But my initial impression is that the writer is the one who is into sensationalism, more so than Howard & Co.

When his sensations are not stimulated every few minutes he seems ready for bigger, faster more titillating audio thrills. He sounds like a sensation-aholic.

Howards's fans are the ones who feel some relationship to/with the disparate characters on the show. Like a family or a gang of co-workers, frat brothers or team members. Like "Cheers," where even though they didn't know YOUR name, you knew THEIRS. And you liked them.

If you want rock em, sock em laughs Bobby Slayton is a rapid-fire bull-dog of a stand-up comedian.

If you want someone you can spend all or part of every morning, every day, with, Stern & Co. are the gold standard.

Anyone who wants a never ending series of bigger and better shocks to the senses, try the TV show, "Jack Ass" or maybe smoke crack.*

*Not a serious suggestion.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2006, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
You're wrong, Athens. Yes, Sirius is not officially available in Canada due to regulations, but it was unavailable there long before Howard made the move. Sirius' content is uncensored in general - not just the content of Howard's channels. You cannot be right, for if Sirius intended to sanitize its offerings just to get into Canada, that would most assuredly be the end of the company. Stern denies there's any move toward censorship, and he should know - he's has a significant financial stake in the company and is very close to Karmazin.
No you are wrong, Sirius is offically available in Canada

http://siriuscanada.ca/Home-e.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...up_051102.html
Controversial but popular DJ Howard Stern, who joins Sirius Satellite Radio in the U.S. in January, will not be in the initial Canadian lineup, according to Sirius Canada.
There was a later news story on Global abotu Sirius putting in sensors so they could provide Howard Stern in Canada with out pissing off the CRTC.

There are concerns that satellite radio will mean there will be more programming that some may find offensive. Howard Stern has signed a $500-million five-year deal in the United States with Sirius to move his controversial program to satellite. Stern was available on two commercial stations in Canada a few years ago, but after a flood of complaints to the CRTC, his show was dropped.

Stern says he's moving to satellite radio to get away from U.S. Federal Communications Commission regulations governing obscenity.

Sirius Radio Canada said Stern's program will not be in the company's initial lineup.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/satelliteradio/
( Last edited by Athens; Jan 30, 2006 at 04:33 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2006, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
No you are wrong, Sirius is offically available in Canada
Well, that's a mildly good development. We may have misunderstood each other, however. The media here was spreading a rumor that Sirius is planning to censor Stern, and your reply made it sound like you thought he would be censored in the United States just so that Sirius would be approved in Canada. If Sirius struck a deal so that the service is officially available in Canada sans-Stern, that's an entirely different development not germane to this thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules