Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini: could Intel make it smaller than it is now??

Mac mini: could Intel make it smaller than it is now??
ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 06:54 PM

The Mac mini is going to go intel, along with the rest of the macs, it might even happen on the 28th. Considering the tech Apple have available to them through Intel, could the Mac mini get smaller than it is now?

Reading around the web, there are a few small form factor PC's coming out now with Core Duo and Viiv, and they are getting smaller. Engadget in the last week has listed PC's from HiGrade, AOpen and Shuttle. The AOpen is a 6" square, a half inch smaller than the mini. I don't know the innards of a Mac mini well enough to work out if there is much room for further shrinkage, but I'm sure I've read the Mac mini has room for an iPod dock designed into it that has never been used or utilised up to now. Maybe it will get a case redesign or tweak, the Mac mini accessory makers (hard drives and hubs that stack onto it) would be pissed off, but Apple have done it before with other Macs and iPods.

So whaddyathink, is the mini going to change in form or will they do an iMac and keep the case but put the new stuff inside?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2006, 07:05 PM

they cant make it tooo small, i mean it does have to have an optical drive. no optical drive will make the mini sales suffer. i personally would like to see a larger mini, one that could house a 3.5HD and two RAM slots, but thats just wishful thinking.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 24, 2006, 07:57 PM

a mini with 3.5 hard drive would definitely increase the size, but also make it cheaper to have larger hard drive capacity.

the rumors sites have said that the ipod dock in the mini has been eliminated from the final design.

the thing is, for small form factor pcs, there is a limit as to how small they can make them because the 3rd party PCI card slots are pretty tall (roughly 6" or so) which are useful for the tv tuner cards. I know the hauppauge pvr-150 also comes in a half size pci slow, but a lot of the new small form factors don't have room for pci slot (half size or full size)

unless they are built in, i don't see how tv tuner cards are going to be put into an mac mini case.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
they cant make it tooo small, i mean it does have to have an optical drive. no optical drive will make the mini sales suffer. i personally would like to see a larger mini, one that could house a 3.5HD and two RAM slots, but thats just wishful thinking.
Ditto that. I love my mini, but at the expense of some size, a second ram slot and 3.5" HD could help sales. Especially if price could be held or even lowered slightly.
macforray

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2006, 09:54 PM

I hope Apple releases something between the mini and the PowerMac... something Shuttle XPC sized with Core Duo, 2 RAM slots, full size optical, 2 3.5" drives, etc.

cambro
Senior User
Feb 25, 2006, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
i personally would like to see a larger mini, one that could house a 3.5HD and two RAM slots, but thats just wishful thinking.
I'd just be happy with digital audio out...hopefully that's not wishful thinking for the next rev.

Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cambro
I'd just be happy with digital audio out...hopefully that's not wishful thinking for the next rev.
Agreed. Give me digital out and I'll be satisfied.

As for all those who talk about cramming tv tuners in the current Mac Mini form factor... am I the only one who thinks that it's plausable that while the Mac Mini will go Intel, Apple could also release a variation on that theme under a new product name other than Mac Mini (something specifically geared towards media and not just a low end, entry-level headless mac)? Perhaps not as tall but wider-- to be more like a tivo box or home theater component? The width would allow them to do a lot without needing tons of space vertically. I think this would be cool but as one who really record much TV, a souped up Mac Mini that can handle HD content playback and dvd burning would be just fine.

Dumbo
Baninated
Feb 26, 2006, 04:20 AM

Same size plus whatever it takes for a standard 3.5" HD and 2 RAM slots. Then replace the stupid latches for opening/closing the case with a simple screw. That's it. Perfect mini.

Of course that's just wishful thinking. OTOH the XPC idea is even less likely.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2006, 07:18 PM

I'd rather see a mini with a 3.5 inch drive and bigger than make it smaller. Why not a slim pizza-box design?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 10:07 PM

I bet it will be nearly the same form factor it is now. No changes but Intel inside and different graphics chip. Oooooo! Maybe they will upgrade firewire?
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 26, 2006, 11:50 PM

It really needs two RAM slots though. 2 GB Duo Core Mini? Awesome!!
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

sledsbehave
Senior User
Feb 27, 2006, 12:09 AM

dual core in a mac mini?

that sounds like wishful thinking...

lets see dual core 1.67 for $499 compared to iMac dual core 1.83 for $1299

you could buy the mac mini, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and still hav $600 for the monitor of yr choice...

i guess we'll see, i'd buy a dual core mini w/two ram slots and a normal size hard drive.
as ever,
sonny

Dumbo
Baninated
Feb 27, 2006, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tuishimi
I bet it will be nearly the same form factor it is now. No changes but Intel inside and different graphics chip.
That's certainly gonna happen.

Oooooo! Maybe they will upgrade firewire?
That however, will certainly not happen.

Dumbo
Baninated
Feb 27, 2006, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by sledsbehave
dual core in a mac mini?
that sounds like wishful thinking...
lets see dual core 1.67 for $499 compared to iMac dual core 1.83 for $1299
you could buy the mac mini, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and still hav $600 for the monitor of yr choice...
i guess we'll see, i'd buy a dual core mini w/two ram slots and a normal size hard drive.
Indeed Core Duo in the mini sounds like wishful thinking.

But OTOH putting in a Core Solo instead of a Duo has more to do with marketing than with economics. The Solo is only $32 less (that's a mere 13%) than the Duo at 1.67 GHz.

But as we all know, marketing has always been important to Apple (12" iBook vs. PB comes to mind), so it might just really be the Solo.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2006, 06:42 AM

Yeah, I think it's called pricing stratification - Apple could deliver more at any given price point, but it would cause the products to overlap too much and cannibalize sales. Remember that recent iBooks are differentiated by artificial speed limitations. Also, I heard from a reseller that the current mini offers hyper thin margins to resellers. If resellers are making a very small amount off it, Apple's margin in turn must be rather low. And as has been stated elsewhere, Intel's chips are more expensive than the G4, so it's probably wise not to get too hopeful about a souped up mini. Unless, that is, Apple decided to raise the price point of the mini. I do agree that with the loss of the low-end Power Mac, there's a huge hole between the mini and the Power Mac left vacant. On the other hand, Apple may well like it that way.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

sledsbehave
Senior User
Feb 27, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dumbo
Indeed Core Duo in the mini sounds like wishful thinking.

But OTOH putting in a Core Solo instead of a Duo has more to do with marketing than with economics. The Solo is only $32 less (that's a mere 13%) than the Duo at 1.67 GHz.

But as we all know, marketing has always been important to Apple (12" iBook vs. PB comes to mind), so it might just really be the Solo.
maybe apple can get a good price on the 1.67 duos since the demand isn't as high for them...

get ride of the slot loading drive, replace it with a normal optical drive, that would cut cost, and the normal hard drive would cost less as well... all that together might bring the price down around $499...

or maybe the core solo will be $499 and the core duo $699 BTO.
as ever,
sonny

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 04:44 PM

I still see room in Apple's lineup for a small mac (about 1/2 the size of a tower) that is EXPANDABLE.

I'm NOT a pro user, but I like to add additional hard drives, and add extra PCI cards, etc. etc.

dale
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I still see room in Apple's lineup for a small mac (about 1/2 the size of a tower) that is EXPANDABLE.

I'm NOT a pro user, but I like to add additional hard drives, and add extra PCI cards, etc. etc.
Out of interest, why something half the size of a tower? Do you have an issue with space at your office/home??

I would personally be very surprised if they produced something mid way between the two. It seems logical for us to see this as a potential gap, but Apple doesn't appear to think like other "PC" manufacturers: Apple seems to aim its product at consumers - who Apple don't believe want to add bits and widgets inside, but will buy a whole new box as technology moves on.

At the other end of the scale - for those that want to add things internally and upgrade, there is the Power Mac. In theory big enough and expandabe enough to take what ever internal bits want to throw at it (within reason).

To apple - expandability seems to be a black and white issue. You either have it, or you don't. And if you do.... you have it in large amounts. I don't think apple see the need for a half way house as it would lessen the form factor differentiation from PC manufacturers. Would we want that? I like to think of Mac's as special. Am I sad?

What do you think?? About the Mac comments above that is??

dale
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 05:06 PM

Which PCI cards would you like to add?

Titom
Feb 27, 2006, 06:56 PM

Well if the mac mini gets a Core Duo, then the iBook will get the Core Duo!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 07:04 PM

i really dont doubt a 1.67 duo will be the top of the line mini priced at $700 bucks. i think the answer to our speculation is gonna be revealed tomorrow.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2006, 07:16 PM

Shuttle XPC sized... you lose 6 RAM, 1 CPU, and 2 PCI slots, but you keep everything else (full size optical, 2 RAM, 2 PCI, 1 CPU, 2 hard drive) in a box one third the size.

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 10:21 PM

I am figuring that the new Minis will only come in two flavors (Mini & Mini Pro). I personally don't think that either will be sporting a Duo. I will however be replacing my current tower with one of them! The CoreSolo should be plenty quick.
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

Altair
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by dale
Which PCI cards would you like to add?
I would add a Hauppage win tv pvr card.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

turbopants
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 01:23 AM

As much as I would like a core dual mini for $499, I don't think it's going to happen. There should be one available for around $700 as iREZ stated.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Altair
I would add a Hauppage win tv pvr card.
That won't do you much good, as they don't work with Macs.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 28, 2006, 06:06 AM

be interesting if they reduced the height , tho'

altho' it IS TINY

i was staggered just HOW SMALL it is when i saw my sisters one !!

dale
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 06:30 AM

If I was the product designer and needed to make extra room inside a mini case for a few "extras", I would add width. However, some manufacturers have produced peripherals in the same form factor as the Mini, to allow all the components to be stacked like a component HiFi. Only 8 hours to wait, to find out.

We might all be wrong... SJ might unveil an iPod with a camera, leaving us all a little disapointed!!!! He did say products (i.e. plural) though, didn't he.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 28, 2006, 07:11 AM

it's grate being a machead

imagine being a typical pc using idiot and waiting for dell's next mindblowing product revelation ??

this month dell reveals a pc that's 1-2 % cheaper than last's month's pile of junk

woo-hoo ! ( not )

dale
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
it's grate being a machead

imagine being a typical pc using idiot and waiting for dell's next mindblowing product revelation ??

this month dell reveals a pc that's 1-2 % cheaper than last's month's pile of junk

woo-hoo ! ( not )
Dont forget the amazing 3% processor performance increase on their top end model, as an alternative piece of news. Mmmm, faster junk.

toddtmw
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by dale
Out of interest, why something half the size of a tower? Do you have an issue with space at your office/home??
I think the issue is more the massiveness of the G5's. Because of the colling issues, those things are HUGE and thre's a fari amount of wasted space in there. I'm thinking that when they get around to releasing new towers, they will be smaller. Maybe even smaller than the G4 and G3 towers were. Still a lot of style and expandability, but packaged in an efficient manner that only Apple can achieve...
The moderators in this forum have too much time on their hands.

dale
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by toddtmw
I think the issue is more the massiveness of the G5's. Because of the colling issues, those things are HUGE and thre's a fari amount of wasted space in there. I'm thinking that when they get around to releasing new towers, they will be smaller. Maybe even smaller than the G4 and G3 towers were. Still a lot of style and expandability, but packaged in an efficient manner that only Apple can achieve...
I do agree that a lot of the free space in the power mac is necessary to keep it from melt-down (short of installing a a wind tunnel sized fan, and the noise issues this carries). I guess it depends upon what they replace the G5 processor with, that will determine the size of case for the power mac replacement. The new processor will undoubtably be designed for performance, not performance per watt, so the thermal issues may still be valid. I guess we will have to wait and see....

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2006, 09:05 PM

Mini needs to be larger, not smaller.

Get the power supply in there and for crying out loud get a 3.5" HD in there - they are faster, more reliable and go to like 400GB.

They just don't want to hear the comparisons to the cube, which was a fine computer except for what the $400 acrylic case did to the price.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2006, 10:04 PM

6.5x6.5x2
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 10:14 PM

alright! i almost had the update dead on...only 100 bucks off

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by sodamnregistered2
Get the power supply in there and for crying out loud get a 3.5" HD in there - they are faster, more reliable and go to like 400GB.
500GB, but what's a hundred gigs?

Forum Links
Forum Rules