Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going to Italy. . .

Going to Italy. . .
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 06:03 PM

My girlfriend and I are meeting my sister in Florence for spring break, and we're looking for advice on things to do. We've got tickets to the Uffizi and the Accademia already, so we're covered there. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Also, we'd like to take a day trip to Venice. I realize that's a bit short for a trip to such a great city, but it's all we've got. Any recommendations on how to get there (which trains, when, etc.) and what to do when there? Thanks!
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 06:13 PM

Venice is amazing. Train service between Florence and Venice should be easy. Here are the train schedules.

My suggestion would be to bring walking shoes and walk everywhere. Walk from the train station to the Piazza San Marco, and then just explore. If you've only got one day, then you've only got one day, but I'd strongly recommend staying overnight, doing some more wandering around at daybreak, and taking a morning train back to Florence.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 06:18 PM

If you can, hit Venice first for at most a couple of days, then spend the next four or five days exploring Florence and the surrounding areas. And if you're a meat eater, try the Florentine steak (I think that is what it is called). Furthermore, if you are a label whore -- meant in the kindest of terms -- take a half-hour or so train ride to the factory outlets of anything from Prada to Gucci, blah blah blah. Your gf, if she is of the type, will love you long time for the next couple of nights.

And it's cold as hell there at this time of the year.
I, ASIMO.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 06:19 PM

Eat. Eat. EAT!!!!!!!!!!!

brapper
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 07:00 PM

Cinque Terra.
Do it.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by brapper
Cinque Terra.
Do it.
Just went there last summer on my honeymoon - it was awesome.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 09:36 PM

in Florence make sure you stand in the square around the duomo and listen to the bells (I think they ring at 6 p.m.).. incredible.

have fun!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ASIMO
And it's cold as hell there at this time of the year.
It's not really that cold, I was in Venice around this time of year and it got down into the low 40's/ High 30's at night (Or whatever that is in Celsius. ) Bring a good jacket (that will keep you warm if it rains) and warm shoes and you'll be all set.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2006, 09:47 PM

In Florence, go to the Institute and Museum of the History of Science. I mean, where else can you see Galileo's original science instruments, and his preserved right middle finger? No I am not kidding.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 01:55 PM

Thanks for all the tips. And thanks for the museum idea, SimeyTheLimey. I didn't know that was there (or what it contained for that matter). I'll be sure to bring jackets and whatnot. I'm kind of expecting the weather to be like it is in the Bay Area right now (which hasn't been great).

Is it difficult to find space on the trains? Especially in the morning (with commuters)?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 02:01 PM

If you like knowledge any museums in Europe is worth visiting, and don't just look at the works but also the structures of the buildings, the moldings, etc.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2006, 02:32 PM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2006, 03:08 PM

Stroll a bit around the piazza san marco, take a ride in one those little boats (be prepared to get ripped off) walk around a bit, take some pictures, go and eat. Eat decently, no touristico crap. And get the hell out of there the next day. Staying in a city for days and days is pointless unless you're a museum person. Just make sure you eat decently, and if you can afford it: let your gf shop around a bit.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

wolfen
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 03:21 PM

Siena is a small town north of Florence in Tuscany. It's a great, OLD OLD OLD town with cobblestone streets, etc. Romantic. The train ride there can be pretty too.

We loved Florence, particularly the Academy (I think) that houses all the incredible ancient art treasures. But if you're not into art at all don't bother.

See the main cathedral the last hour or so of daylight. It's pretty cool.

A couple of the old castles in town are interesting. Del Vecchio was fairly interesting and easy to get through, iirc. But you can hardly go wrong just wandering around, honestly.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyDee51
My girlfriend and I are meeting my sister in Florence for spring break, and we're looking for advice on things to do. We've got tickets to the Uffizi and the Academia already, so we're covered there. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Also, we'd like to take a day trip to Venice. I realize that's a bit short for a trip to such a great city, but it's all we've got. Any recommendations on how to get there (which trains, when, etc.) and what to do when there? Thanks!
Congratulations on the trip. Sounds awesome. A country so rich in history and art.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 12:58 PM

Italy sounds so special. In France you think mainly about Paris and England, London. But, when you talk about Italy, there is Florence, Rome, Milan, Turin, etc.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 12:58 PM

Yep, Sienna is cool.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 01:02 PM

San Gimigniano (can't remember if that's the spelling) is very cool. If you're going to Sienna, you can probably do both.

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 23, 2006, 02:41 PM

I was in Florence around the same time of year a few years ago - Climb the Duomo!!! it takes awhile but it's sooo worth it. The Piazza de Santa Maria Novella, the train station is down there, and the church is gorgeous! On the Arno, walk across the Ponte Vecchio it's where all the jewelry stores are - awesome! and across the river there's some really great castles and such that used to be owned by the Medici family. In the Piazza Republica (close to the Duomo) there's a great carousel! Look at a map, if you start at the duomo, and head towards pallazzo ruccelai, there's every store a girl could dream for - Prada, Louis Vuitton - it's amazing! In the Piazza de Annunziata, there's a beautful church i would recommend going into, particularly if you're an archtecture buff like me. next to it is the Spedale Degli Innocenti - used to be an orphange, and there's a little "drop box" on the outside to drop your abandoned babies in, kind of sad, but interesting backstory.

When you go to the Uffizi get in line EARLY, i mean it, really early, there's always a line around the building.

And last but not least, about the trains, when i was there, the workers were on strike like every other day. so i didn't make any of the day trips i planned - with the exception of Pisa - with turned out to be: walk to Pisa look at the tower say 'yep, it's leaning alright' eat some gelato and back on the train home. I'm not telling you not to go, it's so cool to see, but it wasn't very exciting for me.

Sorry so many things - but they're all pretty close, you could do the whole circuit in a day or two. Have fun - make sure you show us pics when you get back!

MrsLarry
Senior User
Mar 23, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
In Florence, go to the Institute and Museum of the History of Science. I mean, where else can you see Galileo's original science instruments, and his preserved right middle finger? No I am not kidding.
AGREED! This place was sooooo cool!

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 02:55 PM

Eat as much as you can. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever. Just eat!

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 03:33 PM

But do not have the morning pineapple. Pineapple + Venice + cold-windy-rainy morning = illness + vomit.
I, ASIMO.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
San Gimigniano (can't remember if that's the spelling) is very cool. If you're going to Sienna, you can probably do both.
Yes. It's definitely worth a trip. If you get out there, make a point to get somewhere elevated - there are several small towers you can go up in; The view is fantastic:

talisker
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 06:40 AM

All these suggestions are good. A couple additional ones for Florence:

Do go to see the original David - the one in Piazza della Signoria is a copy. The one in the Accedemia is worth the trip. Someone mentioned Piazza Santa Maria Novella - aside from the great church and all the culture stuff, there is a great Irish pub, the Fiddler's Elbow! But my favourite thing to do is catch the bus up to the village of Fiesole in the hills overlooking Florence. It's about a half hour trip and Fiesole has great restaurants, a stunning view of the city, and some interesting Etruscan ruins. A great place to escape to if the city is getting a little overbearing and claustrophobic, as Florence can do. The Boboli gardens are also good for that.

And to be honest, although I think Venice is one of the most amazing places on earth, I don't know if I'd bother with a day trip if you're only in Italy for a short while. Florence is one of these places that really repays spending a bit of time there - it can be a little intimidating at first and it takes a little while to make sense of it all. My suggestion would be to spend more time there and get a good feel for the place, rather than rushing around Italy. Although Venice IS amazing!

If you do want to go it's easy to get train tickets from the station in Florence when you're there. There's an Italian railway website where you can check out times etc.

http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html
( Last edited by talisker; Mar 24, 2006 at 06:49 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules