Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > yes.. its this problem again, but with a twist

yes.. its this problem again, but with a twist
graham_m84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2006, 11:50 PM

Hi there
i posted a few days ago excited about my new (and first) mac arriving, well the mini arrived and im absolutely loving it, going back to xp im often like "why wont this just work" or "oh... good.. another crash"

anyway, my problem i see is well documented on a lot of forums and websites, but ive yet to find a solution in the past couple of hours that works for me, so i thought id come ask the people that know best.

Ok so i have my xp machine, which i want to connect to my mac, nothing odd there i hear you say, well, ive gone through the usual steps, tried to map network drive to \\192.168.0.101\grahammasters <-- my "short" name on the mac lol

and not a thing, well thats not true, i get an error message about not finding it, funny thing is if i go to view network computers i see it, so i click it and it says something about not being accessable, and the path could not be found
So where is this different from everyone else then?

well, i go to the other room, sit down, pick up my mac keyboard, click "network" and voilla, i can access the stuff from my pc no problem.

So im stumped, sorry if im just being a complete noob, but i just cant crack this.

Information that may be useful:
- both PC and mac are on the same workgroup
- windows file sharing is enabled on the mac and an account selected
- tried turning firewall off on pc in case that made a difference, but it may be my wireless routers firewall?

As far as i can see everything "should" be ok, so any light shed on this would be sweet.

Cheers in advance

Titom
Mar 24, 2006, 11:59 PM

Try http://192.168.0.101/~grahammastere/index.html

System Prefs - Sharing - Personal Web Sharing checked.

Maybie a / at the very end

graham_m84  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2006, 06:10 PM

nothing

anyone got any more ideas?

graham_m84  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2006, 06:22 PM

actually thats a lie, that does work, but its odd how i cant connect to the shared folders :/
just to confirm, when the username and password box comes up i type in my mac username and password yes? when i do this it just re-appears and puts Gstation\grahammasters in the username box (gstation is this pc i am on now - the windows one) - so i tried replacing that with the mac machine name and nothing, also tried its ip. not a thing

Forum Links
Forum Rules