Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Poll: Parallels vs. Boot Camp vs. Both

Poll: Parallels vs. Boot Camp vs. Both
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 25, 2006, 08:36 AM

Are most of you using/planning to use both Parallels and Boot Camp or just one vs. the other?

I'd consider using both (even though disk space is an issue, since my entire drive is only 75 GB), but don't really want to spend $40 for the one Windows app I need (which is Quicken). (The only other Windows things I'd consider running are Vista and games, and neither would run under Parallels.)

I also wouldn't be surprised if Mac OS X 10.5 will support both dual-booting and virtualization, which would then make Parallels superfluous.

So, what are you guys doing, or planning to do?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2006, 08:43 AM

Bleah, 5 minutes have passed, and it won't let me enter the poll. These were my poll options:

Boot Camp - It has the best hardware support
Parallels - Dual-booting sucks
Both - Best of both worlds
Both, when 10.5 ships - Leopard will make Parallels redundant

Multiple choices accepted.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 09:33 AM

Boot Camp
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Macola
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 10:05 AM

BootCamp, as soon as my 120GB HD arrives.

Parallels later down the road, when it's more stable/functional.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 11:49 AM

Both. They each have strengths and weaknesses. If you want to play 3D games, Boot Camp is your only choice and there are probably some cases where a peripheral or something won't work properly in Parallels. But if you want to use a Windows program alongside Mac OS X programs, Parallels is your only choice. Admittedly, your MacBook isn't a gaming powerhouse, as you know, so you could probably get away with just using Parallels.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 25, 2006, 01:05 PM

Bootcamp,
I'd [re]consider parallels, if they resolve the usb issues and the speed didn't affect me too much and I wouldn't run into issues activating the same copy of XP (most people have been succesful, but I fear MS will clamp down this to make an extra buck).

Mike
~Mike

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2006, 02:37 PM

So XP doesn't check the hardware for validation then? Cuz a Parallel's "hardware" would be different than the MacBook's, no?

I haven't tried installing under Parallel's software yet cuz I only have the stock 512 MB at the moment.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 03:17 PM

I installed the same copy of XP on Boot Camp and Parallels. I had to call Microsoft (well, someone in India, actually) to get a new code because the online activation thing wouldn't let me do it, but I think that was because I had recently installed that copy of XP on an old laptop, but then decided that it wasn't up to the task and so put it on my iMac instead. I put off activation in Parallels because I was worried that I would have more problems, and while I think you are allowed to install it for both Boot Camp and Parallels on the same machine, it might be tricky to explain that to the people in India giving out the new activation codes. But it turned out that the online activation worked fine for Parallels. So it either knows that it's the same system, or the activation code they gave me on the phone had somehow been "reset" so that I can install again without triggering a problem.

What I'm wondering is, how would XP react if you copied the Parallels disk image to another computer after it's been validated.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise

What I'm wondering is, how would XP react if you copied the Parallels disk image to another computer after it's been validated.
I very much doubt it would care, and that you wouldn't have to put in another key
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2006, 09:51 PM

Both Boot Camp and Parallels will find exactly the same hardware on the Mac, so there should be no reason to revalidate or reauthenticate. I'm not sure exactly how MS's process would work, but I believe (this is no guarantee, just speculation) that Microsoft will see the second installation as ...well a second installation.

The number of people who have installed Windows twice on the same machine in the same day is pretty large-it's not hard to decide after you've finished everything that you want to configure something differently. I did it like that on the PC I'm using right now just a couple of weeks ago because in setting up my custom install script (using nLite), I forgot something I wanted set up in a certain way. One re-burned CD-RW (no dummy here!) later, I reinstalled with the new configuration-on exactly the same hardware.

My point is that Microsoft must be used to it, so don't worry too much about this.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 09:37 AM

I'll try Parallels one day, but I don't want to have to re-setup the whole Windows partition the way I have it under BootCamp. Is there a way to import a Windows partition from BootCamp in to Parallels??

craigb6
May 28, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I'll try Parallels one day, but I don't want to have to re-setup the whole Windows partition the way I have it under BootCamp. Is there a way to import a Windows partition from BootCamp in to Parallels??
Thats what I would really like to do. In the meantime I'm considering using bootcamp for games, apparently Sims 2 plays really well on a MB, and Parallels for work stuff. The problem is that for every Windows update I'd have to do everything twice. Hopefully someone comes up with a solution.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 02:27 AM

Boot Camp for now, until Parallels is capable of running off the Boot Camp partition. I'm too lazy for two installs, and I need the native installation for games.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Macola
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 01:00 PM

Well, I'll have to change my vote...I decided to install Parallels after getting Boot Camp all set up, and was impressed enough by the performance to keep it. It's a bit of a pain to install everything twice, but I'm hoping some day that won't be necessary. The only downside is that OS X seems somewhat sluggish when I have Parallels running, but that may becasue I only have 1 GB of RAM in my MacBook and I allocated 512 MB to parallels.

FYI, I did have to call Microsoft and get a second activation code for XP Pro (OEM version).

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 29, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Macola
The only downside is that OS X seems somewhat sluggish when I have Parallels running, but that may becasue I only have 1 GB of RAM in my MacBook and I allocated 512 MB to parallels.
That'll do it. I find that XP works fine with 256MB as long as you're not doing heavy-duty things, so you might try that.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst
Boot Camp for now, until Parallels is capable of running off the Boot Camp partition. I'm too lazy for two installs, and I need the native installation for games.
Is this likely to happen? If so, I'd buy Parallels in a second.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2006, 07:49 AM

They're working on it, or so they say. I wouldn't think it would be all that hard to implement.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2006, 08:28 AM

You can put the virtual Parallels drive on the Boot Camp partition. (Or at least Parallels says I can, cuz I have it formatted as FAT32.) You can't use the native Boot Camp install however of course (which is irritating).

P.S. I haven't yet decided which one I'll use. I'm very impressed by Parallels RC2. The networking driver they provide in their tools doesn't seem to work for me, but reverting to the Realtek driver solves that problem. I really like being able to use the scrolling track pad and the two-finger click in Parallels. I lose that functionality in a true Windows boot. Memory is not a huge issue for me, even with 384 MB allocated to XP. I have 2 GB in my MacBook.

Also, I tried running my UT2003 on the Boot Camp partition under native Windows, but it crashes every time, even with the latest patch. So, it looks like that Boot Camp's main advantage doesn't help me here. Apparently UT2004 works fine, but I'm not about to buy this game again.

The only concern I have with Parallels is the cost. I only need to run one app when it comes right down to it (and not very often), and Boot Camp is free. Furthermore, I wonder if the release version of Parallels will work in 10.5 Leopard, or if we'll have to buy it all over again. I also wonder if 10.5 will get virtualization, although I'm not counting on it.

So what do you think? Worth a $40 pre-order (especially now that the final price is $80)?
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jun 1, 2006 at 08:48 AM. )

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker

So what do you think? Worth a $40 pre-order (especially now that the final price is $80)?

For me, it's well worth $40...even if VMWare later comes out with a better solution, Parallels was first to market and that's critical in my situation. However, I do rely on XP for work a lot more than you do, so that's a big factor. Have you tried Q?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2006, 10:19 AM

P.S. On my MacBook 2.0, I can play back 720p 30 fps H.264 video at about half the frame rate.

Not bad.

Originally Posted by Macola
For me, it's well worth $40...even if VMWare later comes out with a better solution, Parallels was first to market and that's critical in my situation. However, I do rely on XP for work a lot more than you do, so that's a big factor. Have you tried Q?
I'll look into Q, thx.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
You can put the virtual Parallels drive on the Boot Camp partition.
I fail to see the point of doing this, since Parallels and Boot Camp can't see each other's data.

Well, I preordered it even before the price increase, and I don't really buy much software. $40 really is a steal compared to what we used to pay for Virtual PC.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 02:38 PM

I'm thinking $40-$50 is a good price, but $80 is too much. I maybe will have to preorder it as well.

I'm spending a lot more on this macbook than I anticipated. ($200 for RAM, $150 to run windows?, a case $40, all that jazz. Plus CS3 when it comes out (maybe I would have bought it anyway))

Gotta love getting your mac fix though! woot!

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I fail to see the point of doing this, since Parallels and Boot Camp can't see each other's data.
Well, I don't use my Boot Camp partition much, so it would simply be to save space on my primary OS X partition.

quiklee
Senior User
Jun 9, 2006, 02:06 PM

i want to just install XP to use Slingbox . . . do i need to install bootcamp? or can I just install parallels? or do i have install both?
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2006, 02:23 PM

Parallels was damn buggy when I used it. It locked the whole computer and other times it got really really slow. So I trashed it.

Bootcamp works 100% (minus the isight)

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Thraxes
Jun 17, 2006, 08:40 PM

I plan on using both... have a MBP on the way which I want to use for some dev work on settop boxes (part of my thesis on IPTV) . The dev tools that I need are on windows and some testing tools and emulators are in Linux. So hat is a really good way to use Parallels as I don't need 3D graphics when coding

When I want to fire up the DarkstarOne or smash my way through Oblivion its BootCamp-time. The BootCamped windows will be for gaming, and gaming only. I will just use "tiny-XP" for that (Cwindows is only 420MB big - the whole Boot camp partition can be kept to 4GB) and an external 2,5" 100GB FW drive for all the games and other non essential junk. The Parallels XP image will be a full blown XP-Pro though.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

mark.s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2006, 01:56 AM

Using both here.

Parallels for Visual Studio development and BootCamp for games. I've shut down my PC for good ;-)

I've had no problems with Parallels, and the performance isn't too bad. Having access to Mac OS X at the same time is worth the marginal reduction in performance, in my opinion.

Glad my MBP has a 120GB drive though....

drg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2006, 09:15 PM

I paid the early price for Parallels. Still haven't been able to get it to boot any of three different versions of Windows. Requests for help have not been answered. I figure I just wasted my money.
eschew obfuscation

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 09:19 PM

That sounds odd...why don't you post some details and we may be able to help. Many of us here are running XP without a hitch (SP2, anyway) and I also run Ubuntu 5.x without any problems.

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2006, 11:30 AM

Glad this thread is here. I am on the verge of an upgrade: MBP vs. MacPro if it comes out in August. My biggest PC need is for work. I need to use a VPN connection to log in to a hospital. Once in the hospital system, I use the PC to look at Xrays, CT scans and MRI scans. I don't need the graphics for gaming, but I need good resolution. I have an Apple HD 23" display hooked up to my PC ().

My goal is to get either a MBP or a MacPro (when they come out), and use either Parallels or BootCamp for the above task.

Will Parallels allow me to view my films in full resolution? If I do decide to run Dreamweaver or something in parallels, will it be noticeably slower than running it in bootcamp?

Also, is there any reason why an XP install on parallels or bootcamp won't allow my to use VPN? The one time I tried it with Virtual PC, it did not seem to work.

I'd love your thoughts.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2006, 12:48 PM

I'll put my vote in for Parallels...

The thing I do not like about BootCamp is that you can only use Win XP Full Version with it.
Not only is that limiting (primarily because in BootCamp there is no way to eject the CD during install, thus requiring the Full Version), there is no capability to run older OS'es like Win 98 or 2000, even DOS 6.22 for the really old stuff.

Guess I am of the minority that enjoys the classic games that don't require NASA style setups.

Sure BootCamp opens up the Core Duo and the X1600 graphics for maximum potiential, but Parallels does a pretty darn good job -- and I dont have to mess with my firmware for dual booting. I'll wait for Leapord to play with BootCamp while importantly not a Beta.

The truth is BootCamp is an un-AppleCare supported Beta, while Parallels is a retail product with customer support and a detailed user manual.

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2006, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the input. I did some reading- looks like 1920x1200 resolution is not yet supported in parallels, but it will be soon. My biggest fear is that I will be running parallels, and it will feel like virtual pc. From what I've read, Parallels is a few orders of magnitude better than VPC, but how good is it? How close to using a PC does it feel? Is it truly good enough to scrap my PC? I have a mid level PC with an athalon processor.

Also, is there any reason to think that VPN would not work? It does not seem to work in VPC.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by surferboy
Thanks for the input. I did some reading- looks like 1920x1200 resolution is not yet supported in parallels, but it will be soon. My biggest fear is that I will be running parallels, and it will feel like virtual pc. From what I've read, Parallels is a few orders of magnitude better than VPC, but how good is it? How close to using a PC does it feel? Is it truly good enough to scrap my PC? I have a mid level PC with an athalon processor.

Also, is there any reason to think that VPN would not work? It does not seem to work in VPC.
The main difference that effects me is that Parallels does not (yet) support video acceleration. So some UI effects are slow. Raw processing speed is actually quite respectable for a virtual machine.

The other main issue is lack of dual screen support (or at least I can't find a way to make it work - and I mean two independent displays, not just mirrored displays). So I can't run any dual-screen PC apps in Parallels. Occasionally this is a problem for me when I need to run separate presenter and (video projector) audience displays.

So, I actually use both Parallels (bought a copy right before they increased the price) and Boot Camp. Fortunately I have a (legal) Corporate Windows XP Pro without activation, so I can install it as often as needed.

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2006, 10:32 PM

Cadaver, aren't you a radiologist? Are you using parallels or bootcamp to get into your hospital? I have to VPN into mine, and I've read that there are some issues with VPN and parallels.

What machine are you running it on?

EasyMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2006, 10:37 PM

I hear that using Parallels brings your videocard memory down to 8 megs under a different OS. So I would use Boot Camp if I had an Intel Mac.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by surferboy
Cadaver, aren't you a radiologist? Are you using parallels or bootcamp to get into your hospital? I have to VPN into mine, and I've read that there are some issues with VPN and parallels.

What machine are you running it on?
Yes, I am.

Our hospital uses a VPN client from a company called Juniper. Its a piece of shite as far as I'm concerned - very easily breaks every time Microsoft releases a new Windows patch, so I don't patch my Windows installations until our IT people say its OK. Its also activated via Active X control, so it requires IE 6.x and doesn't work if you change the security settings in IE. It does, however, seem to work just fine with Parallels.

No problem accessing Stentor iSite thru Parallels - works very well, actually. Just as well as on any "real" PC. Actually, it works better than it does when booted straight in to Windows via Boot Camp (something I'm sure is screwy with my Windows install under Boot Camp but haven't yet tracked it down).

Besides the Juniper VPN for iSite, all other applications accessed remotely (PowerScribe, Outlook and an app called PowerChart) are accessed via Citrix client/server. The Mac Citrix client actually works fine for these apps, so Parallels/Boot Camp not necessary.

Edit: Oh, although we can't yet VPN in to it, we also have a TeraRecon system with the thin client-server package. It works great via Parallels, too (though for now I can only access it directly via ethernet when at the hospitals or satellite offices).
( Last edited by Cadaver; Jul 4, 2006 at 03:07 PM. )

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2006, 11:00 PM

We use Cisco VPN to get into Clinical Desktop. ClinDesk uses a plugin for Ultravisual. Ever heard of these apps?

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2006, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Yes, I am.

Our hospital uses a VPN client from a company called Juniper. Its a piece of shite as far as I'm concerned - very easily breaks every time Microsoft releases a new Windows patch, so I don't patch my Windows installations until our IT people say its OK. Its also activated via Active X control, so it requires IE 6.x and doesn't work if you change the security settings in IE. It does, however, seem to work just fine with Parallels.
which Juniper component is being used, do you know?

and not all updates should break the VPN client; Microsoft broke MANY programs with a particular release of their software due to a change they made in the underlying code that many applications use.
( Last edited by zanyterp; Jul 5, 2006 at 02:19 PM. )
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

ilovetrucks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 07:08 PM

I use the SonicWall Global Client and it works awesome in parallels.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2006, 07:19 AM

This may sound silly, but i searched and the concensus is that Parallels and Boot Camp both can't co-exist on the same machine? Or can they? I tried installing Parallels and it just doesn't let.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
Is this likely to happen? If so, I'd buy Parallels in a second.
That, along with Vista support, are due with the next full release.... or so I have read.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by n8236
This may sound silly, but i searched and the concensus is that Parallels and Boot Camp both can't co-exist on the same machine? Or can they? I tried installing Parallels and it just doesn't let.
No problems here on a MacBook. Run BootCamp, partiton your disk, install XP, drivers, etc. Then install Parallels and install (a second copy of) XP. Done.

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2006, 03:03 PM

I use both. Boot Camp can do things that Parallels can't, plus it's faster since it uses both cores on the Core Duo models. Parallel's USB support isn't complete yet, for example. I use both about equally, I'd say. Right now I'm waiting for Adobe to release CS3 in Universal format. Since I have the Adobe CS Windows version right now I don't want to switch over and not have it run as fast. I'm pretty happy with the setup so far; I was intially using it on my Mini and have since switched to a MacBook.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 10:26 AM

I develop Windows software using Visual Studio 2005, SQL Server 2005, and Office 2003 Pro all in Parallels... and am thrilled with the performance.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Forum Links
Forum Rules