Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Comparison: Viruses on Windows vs. Mac OS

Comparison: Viruses on Windows vs. Mac OS
ATP Tour Fan
Jan 30, 2002, 09:52 PM

Can anyone provide some solid numbers as to how many known viruses are out there for Windows and the Mac OS?

How many are known "active"?

I would appreciate any links to sources such as Symantec for statistics.

Thanks!!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2002, 10:02 PM

Active viruses for Windows: thousands
Mac OS: about 2
Mac OS X: 0

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

VRL
Senior User
Jan 31, 2002, 04:14 AM

What's a virus?

The only virus I've seen, since coming to the Mac in '97, was on a floppy I got from a Windows user. I caught it using Norton. Promptly returned the floppy.

Anyway, doesn't Symantic provide a list with their software/updates?? I recall seeing the list, but they don't give many specifics.
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Worboren
Jan 31, 2002, 05:05 AM

Look here

I was actually surprised there's so many viruses mentioned. Granted, a lot of them are variations of the same virus and most are old, some very old (from 1987), and I didn't find a single one that'd mention X as the target platform. Possibly, some of them are able to infect OS 9.* but to be honest I've never seen a Mac virus in my life and reading the descriptions I'd say that none of them can damage anything beyond repair (some can damage the system file but I'd guess all it takes is a reinstall at most).

I don't know how many Windows viruses are in existance but I'd say tens of thousands is a pretty safe estimation. However, stop using MS emailers and there's not so many left that can affect your system. Not that I'd want to use a Windoze PC without an automatically updated antivirus...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2002, 08:17 PM

The only virus I've ever had took antibiotics from my doctor to get rid of!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2002, 12:58 AM

We'll take Office macro viruses out of consideration, since they're cross-platform. Outlook macro viruses are fair game though; there are several of these for Windows, but only one on the Mac.

Given that, there are several hundred Windows viruses out there, many of them strains of each other. On the Mac side, there are about twenty (since the latest Mac-only virus, AutoStart, only had three strains).

As for OSX, no viruses have yet been discovered. This doesn't mean they can't be made; it just means no one's cared enough to write one yet.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Worboren
Feb 1, 2002, 08:11 AM

Just saw this

792 new viruses were discovered and protected against by Sophos
Anti-Virus during January 2002, which now detects and protects
against 71,984 sundry pieces of malicious code.
This probably includes all the platforms that they support: DOS/Windows, Novell, OS/2, Unix, MacOS etc. Am I correct in presuming that 70,000 of those are for Wintels?

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Worboren ]

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2002, 04:20 AM

forgot where I read it but they said there was something like 48,000 for Windows and only like 300 for the Mac.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Cipher13
Feb 4, 2002, 10:54 AM

There's only one virus thats an actual threat to the Mac OS... Sevendust, or 666. I had it once, but every virus protection app catches it; I didn't have any virus protection. It wasn't hard to remove manually regardless...

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2002, 12:16 PM

The only virus I've ever had took antibiotics from my doctor to get rid of!
Uhm,

antibiotics are used against bacterical infections, and have no effect at all against viruses.

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2002, 05:50 AM

The only one I've ever come across, ever, is the autostart worm. Got it from a service bureau on my zip disk.

haven't seen any since, and none at home, where I am microsoft free!

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2002, 06:58 AM

One of the reasons that I appreciate the Mac, though I don't think about it much, since I don't get them!

I still practice common sense and I know we'll have one someday. As for holes and other types of insecurity, we have those, but again, nothing like WINDERS.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Forum Links
Forum Rules