Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New to MAC

New to MAC
Liberanos5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2006, 06:22 PM

It's hard to believe this MACBook Pro was in Shanghai only 4 days ago and it's under my fingers right now. I'm guessing they only land the FedEx planes to put fresh pilots on em and add freight and fuel. There's some bad news though! I've been a PC owner since WIndows 3.1. This is like changing religions, I feel like i'm in the right building but al the "rituals" are so diffeent. I hunted around for a "New to MAC" thread/forum on here or an introductions thread to no avail. I'll beg everyone's kind indulgence now because the new to MAC training at my local Apple store (Somerset Mall Troy Michigan) isn't until Friday. I'd sure love it if I could make the display bigger as in easier to see.... the font looks like a 3. Of all the things I've lost it's my vision I miss the most. And also how do I add a web page to some "favorite" list. With no right clicks I'm lost. Now I'm sure many of you are having a huge laugh at my expense and that's fine.....but can anyone help? Once upon a time I knew my way around a comuter.....
Paul

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2006, 06:27 PM

First of all, it's "Mac", not "MAC" (you'll be corrected if you continue to spell it this way)

Display resolution settings are in your System Preferences under "Display". You can also play with magnification of your screen in System Preferences under "Universal".

How you create a favorite depends on what web browser you are using. You actually can right click by using a mouse with a right mouse button, or by pressing the control key on your keyboard while you click.

Hope this helps!

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2006, 06:51 PM

Welcome & no laughing at your expense....another option for creating favorites:
press command(apple)+d. this will create a bookmark.
Then, for one-click access, turn on tabbed browsing and when you save a bookmark, tell it to save in the bookmark toolbar....at least i think that is the right name).
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

soulboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2006, 11:30 AM

I know what you mean, I converted to Mac in June this year and it can be very confusing when you first get it. Try putting any questions you have into google as it will answer most of them. The ones you cannot find answers for, then post on here. The guys on here are very helpful.
I have put a link on here i hope will be of help, just keep using your Mac and soon you will wonder why you did not buy one before.....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

HazMacFan
Oct 11, 2006, 01:35 AM

You could also visit the Mac 101 site on Apple's site. It does have some helpful hints.

Apple - Support - Mac 101
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

Liberanos5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 09:54 AM

Yeah I guess MAC is that orange stuff Kraft makes eh? It's the cheeziest!

Anyway my "Mac" and I are starting to become friends and thank you all that posted for not bashing me too bad..... being less than a genius has never bothered me thata much it's LOOKING that way that I seem to mind. I bought an ExpressCard 11 in 1 R/W for it and haven't been able to figure out how to properly remove it without getting the warning .....I'm sure this is some simple technique. The card seems to prevent the "go to sleep" thing from happening. I noted this comment on the Amazon site in a couple places from other Mac owners. Any input would as always be greatly appreciated.

Go Tigers!

Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules