Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Replacment Plastics

Macbook Replacment Plastics
neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2007, 11:53 PM

I was wondering if there is anyway you could get the top and bottom plastics on a macbook replaced on a macbook uder warrenty. My bottom case doesnt look that good but the top is okay. So my question is will apple replace these for free or do i have to pay and if so how much?
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2007, 12:29 AM

Depends on the problem, if it's just scratched from wear and tear then no they wont, if it's discolored then yes they will, under warranty. Although I'm not sure how much the housing would cost to replace out of warranty, only the genius bar could tell you the exact cost, after labor and whatnot.

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2007, 12:52 PM

Its not discolored but it seems like it is scratching way too easy. It has pretty bad scratches on it for just sitting on my desk.

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2007, 05:02 PM

I doubt that scratches are covered. You can always take it into the Genius Bar, free diagnosis. Or if you take some pics maybe we can better diagnosis. I have to admit that as much as I love my Macbook it is somewhat of a scratch magnet. You can sort of live with it or buy an invisible shield. ShieldZone - Home of the iPod Screen Protector

neverskatewsandles  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 01:42 PM

Invisable Shield Wont Take The Scratches Out Though.

themonkman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2007, 05:08 PM

I had gotten some scratches on the top of my black Macbook, but now I can't see them after having installed some ApplePeelz on them (www.applepeelz.com). Even a scratched up Macbook willI look about as glossy as a new iPod, and they come precut to fit your Macbook perfectly, and other models, too.

Applepeelz uses a really nice and clear 3M protective (and self healing) film. The only bad thing is that they recommend using a wet application process to apply it, which can be a little unnerving (as we all know water and laptops just don't mix), but there are some simple precautions you can take to make wet application of protective films much safer. These covers are worth the money IMHO, and can cover nearly your entire Macbook.

Tips: If your doing the bottom of your Macbook, remove the battery and stick a bunch of dry paper towels in the battery compartment. They'll catch any water drops should they try to get in.

Take a spray bottle with warm water and two drops of liquid soap. This will allow the protective film to slide easily on the surface of your Macbook while it's wet so that you can line it up perfectly. Prior to applying the film, spray a light mist of the water on the sticky side of the film. Don't touch the sticky side with your fingers, as your fingerprints will stay on them. Don't let the film fold onto itself either, because it's like tape - it can be hard to pull apart and can ruin the film.
Take a paper towel or soft absorbent cloth and rub (in a squeegee-like fashion) from the center outward in all directions to remove any bubbles and excess water.

If your putting this stuff on the top of your display, put paper towels across the keyboard and close the display. You can also put some tape across the vents on the rear of your Macbook, just to keep any droplets out. This stuff is really great. It even protected my Macbook from my rabbit when he tried to bite my display cover. There wasn't even a scratch left on the actual surface of my display, only the chunk he took out of the film!

Forum Links
Forum Rules