Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I think I would buy this over the iPhone

I think I would buy this over the iPhone
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 02:59 AM

Check it out:

SAMSUNG's Digital World - Press Release

That is one nice looking phone (in my opinion). I love the slide out keyboard... more room on the screen for content while I am emailing/posting/etc. also has a 5mp camera and I think it looks nicer to boot!

Did I mention data rates?

The Ultra Smart reflects the latest speed of 7.2 Mbps under the High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) network. Once the 7.2 Mbps HSDPA network completely deployed, F700 users can download an mp3 song (about 4MB each) in 4.4 seconds.
Compare that to the 15 second load time for a single HTML page Steve demonstrated the iPhone on.

Pics:

( Last edited by torsoboy; Feb 10, 2007 at 03:15 AM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2007, 03:18 AM

It's not Windows Mobile, is it? Doesn't say...
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 03:38 AM

not from what I read... some proprietary OS maybe.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 03:59 AM

looks sweet. I like how the full qwerty keyboard doesnt add too much thickness like on other phones.

is it only tri-band? I hope not.

philm
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 04:02 AM

Probably won't sync via iSync. iSync does not work with the SE M600i or 990i, so I figure some of the newer 'better' phones will also not be included to assist iPhone sales.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2007, 04:20 AM

sliding keyboard? super-duty two-handed operation. My roommate has the HTC 8125, and while the 8525 is a big improvement, they're still using a sliding QWERTY board. The T-Mobile Dash(for instance) is better suited to one-handed operation with a QWERTY-Blackberry style chunk phone.

Oh, and my friend isn't excited at about 4 months of ownership of his 8125. He's got like 5+MIDI devices and ProTools and and a gallon other rediculous shite on his Dual G5 but he can't even sync his address book on his phone to his guld-dern computer. The phone's got bluetooth, wi-fi, usb whatever. I've synced a couple of devices with PocketMac Pro on my Mac, and when they're supported, they generally work great. But PocketMac's website is steadfast in it's quest to look absolutely retarded. Is this phone supported? Isn't it?? WTF??

erm windows mobile? yeah, wait for PocketMac Pro to support it, or to not support it.

or even some new os that we don't know about? supported right out of the box? err probably not.

nice stats:

this is like my saturn vs. a bmw:
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2007, 04:26 AM

oh, here's the bmw:

ice

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 04:27 AM

Not for me.

I'll buy the first iPhone that offers 3G service.

Sealobo
Feb 10, 2007, 10:08 AM

All i know is that Samsung makes the best cellphone out there right now.

What is that blue square in the middle of the display anyway?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2007, 01:55 PM

read up on the phone, I think it's some kind of pointer thing
ice

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 06:18 PM

Samsung always seems to "Me Too" on it's phones... Not that I mind. (Samsung loyal customer here, I owned a SPH-A660 for 3 years. Thing was a tank. I had to drop that thing from 4 ft daily. I also liked to try and play catch with it. It fell from ~10 ft several times. My mother put it through the wash and it seemed to not be working, so I went out and finally upgraded. I got home and it had dried out a bit, and it ended up working just fine.)

But I think I'd rather get an iPhone, whenever it comes to Sprint...

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 06:54 PM

I enjoy my Cingular Sync (a707) quite a bit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2007, 12:45 PM

Still want the iPhone. Can't help it.

I use Cingular/AT&T anyways.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 01:02 PM

I miss the days when a cell phone was just this black candybar that could do some minor texting, calls and thats it, I don't need any of that other sh*t. I just wanna call some people and have verizion, because they kick ass as a carrier.

I just got an envy, and I could probably sell my mac and still be as productive with that thing, it manages music, 2.0 Megapizel camera with 1Gb SD card, email, navigator, stereo speakers, hige ass screen, bluetooth full keyboard, itt's insane...I...no one needs all this...

itistoday
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2007, 01:26 PM

That looks a lot like the iPhone. Is it multi-touch?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
Best? How so?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday View Post
That looks a lot like the iPhone.
No it doesn't. Apple stopped putting pinstripes on their products 4 years ago.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2007, 02:57 PM

Snazzy keyboard, very MacBook-esque. Still rather impressed with the iPhone, though.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2007, 07:57 PM

I would still go iPhone. Although Samsung does make some very nice products and this looks especially nice.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2007, 01:44 AM

I'll be interested to hear the first real world iPhone reviews. I'm a battery nut, and wonder what the standby will be like. Also, will the iPhone have a battery that you can get to without breaking the thing.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2007, 02:02 PM

That Samsung keyboard is nice. The one gripe I have with my Treo is that I rarely use the touchscreen because there is no tactile feedback when you are typing on a flat screen. I am actually quite surprised that Apple will be offering the iPhone without a keyboard for this reason. I mean, there is a reson that keyboards have a little bump on the f & j keys, and many phones have one on the number 5 key. I think it will be a little weird trying to input data on the iPhone via the screen.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
That Samsung keyboard is nice. The one gripe I have with my Treo is that I rarely use the touchscreen because there is no tactile feedback when you are typing on a flat screen. I am actually quite surprised that Apple will be offering the iPhone without a keyboard for this reason. I mean, there is a reson that keyboards have a little bump on the f & j keys, and many phones have one on the number 5 key. I think it will be a little weird trying to input data on the iPhone via the screen.
I agree with you.

I remember doing a little programming on the Atari 400 back in the day... and the "keypad" was kind of like a toy. It was horrible. I think it works best when you get physical feedback... but I'm willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 02:23 PM

"Apple's iPhone and several other manufactures" are just "following the lead set by Neonode."

Neonode N2 - Neonode

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2007, 03:03 PM

Wow, that looks nice.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2007, 03:35 PM

Maybe I'm biased towards Apple, but I like the Apple icons better.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Not quite. Doesn't look terrible, but c'mon.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Not quite. Doesn't look terrible, but c'mon.
Let me just state that I don't agree with the quote above the pic. I was quoting the manufacturer. Its just another phone company scared of the iPhone so they have to claim superiority over a product that isn't even out yet.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2007, 04:06 PM

Don't worry, I saw the quote tags. I was responding to the quote.

The iPhone, at the very least, has shaken up phone manufacturers. This is what competition does to the marketplace. I'm loving it, personally. Even if the iPhone itself doesn't make Apple a top phone manufacturer, it's at least going to bring out a new level of creativity from some of the existing ones.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Don't worry, I saw the quote tags. I was responding to the quote.

The iPhone, at the very least, has shaken up phone manufacturers. This is what competition does to the marketplace. I'm loving it, personally. Even if the iPhone itself doesn't make Apple a top phone manufacturer, it's at least going to bring out a new level of creativity from some of the existing ones.

Yep, that's pretty much the same with all of Apple's new products. Even if they fail (which most don't) they always push the competition forward, which is good for everyone.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2007, 06:49 PM

Hrmmm, did Samsung get it right by putting the camera on the front of the phone? Clearly, having the camera on the front is far superior for taking self portraits, and I guess if the technology/bandwidth is there it can do video chats (over wireless), but it's useless for taking a pic of anything else. To me, it defeats the purpose of having a 5 megapixel camera if you can only shoot your own mug from an arm's length away (nobody's nose hairs are that interesting! ). OTOH, the iPhone won't 'ever' do video chats (if the camera is in fact on the back).

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
Every phone I have ever owned has been a Samsung- I'm a little fed up at the moment because none of them have been able to sync with my Address book on my computer.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2007, 12:05 PM

The thing I don't like about slider phones like this is that when they are opened they feel sorta flimsy/creaky and the back of the newly exposed area is butt ugly. That and I just hate having to turn the phone and transform it to type a couple lines is a pain.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Big Road Driver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
I enjoy my Cingular Sync (a707) quite a bit.
I am considering the Cingular Sync (a707). Have you been able to sync this phone with your Mac? If so do you use iSync or the Missing Sync? Any info regarding this phne and compatability with my mac would be appreciated

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2007, 09:48 PM

I like how within a month of the iPhone being announced we went from `battle of the mp3 players` to `battle of the smart phones` on every gadget page on the internet. Right now I don`t think it really matters all that much, as the US of A lacks a proper high speed data network to deal with the cool features these phones have (unless you live in a major city). I for one welcome the smart phone revolution, about time. But I would also say that we`ll have to wait and see how these phones evolve and what the general public actully goes for. By public I mean my mom and dad, whose age group is still an important part of the market.

On a side note, a camera in front and back is nice. Video chatting from a phone would be a very nice nice feature. (I for one would love havign iChat on my phone as well. For those days where I do nothing at work, and because my workplace blocks meebo.com....)

Forum Links
Forum Rules