Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Anyone with 2.8ghz iMac yet?

Anyone with 2.8ghz iMac yet?
ndtechie05
Aug 11, 2007, 11:12 AM

My CTO 24" 2.8 will be herer Wednesday. I was wondering if anyone on here has received theres yet and can compare it to the 2.4ghz. I upgraded the RAM to 2gb which I'm planning on adding more later, I'd rather upgrade the processor now since I don't know if you could later.

-Brett
iMac 24" 2.8ghz C2Extreme 2gb 320gb
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz C2D Stock
Dual 450mhz G4 - 120gb HDD - 384mb Ram
42" Samsung DLP HDTV

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2007, 05:00 PM

hmmm,.. doesn't the 24" 2.8 have 2GB of ram standard?

I'm doubting to get the imac at the applestore or if i want to order it with a dealer so they can immediately replace the ram to 4GB for 170 euro, that's a lot cheaper than the 660 euro that apple charges for 4GB.

I'll also upgrade the drive to 750GB
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by hsl View Post
Yes & no. The top end model as standard does have 2gb of ram included. But you can choose to upgrade the cpu on the lower end 24" 2.4ghz version too. In which case it would have 1gb of ram, until it gets upgraded.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 11, 2007, 09:22 PM

In the era of the finest iMac, it'd be nice if the Mac Pro had 2GB standard.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2007, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Grrr View Post
Yes & no. The top end model as standard does have 2gb of ram included. But you can choose to upgrade the cpu on the lower end 24" 2.4ghz version too. In which case it would have 1gb of ram, until it gets upgraded.
Ah nice,.. now it will be cheaper to upgrade to 4GB (2x 2GB not from apple) right away thx!
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2007, 03:43 PM

I'm doubting to get the imac at the applestore or if i want to order it with a dealer so they can immediately replace the ram to 4GB for 170 euro, that's a lot cheaper than the 660 euro that apple charges for 4GB.

I'll also upgrade the drive to 750GB
Swish, could you tell me what "dealers" offer this??? I also would love 4GB of RAM.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by kenna View Post
Swish, could you tell me what "dealers" offer this??? I also would love 4GB of RAM.
You order the iMac through the Apple online store. Instead of going for the 2.8 GHz config (which comes with two 1 GB SO-DIMMs), you take the 2.4 GHz 24" config and chose the BTO option for 2.8 GHz. You then take out the single 1 GB SO-DIMM and buy two inexpensive 2 GB modules from a third party. Even if you go for quality RAM (which you should!) it will be way less than the $700 Apple charges for the RAM upgrade. And you could still sell the left over 1 GB SO-DIMM.

tintin220
Aug 12, 2007, 04:54 PM

OWC sells 4GB kits.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2007, 05:13 PM

I've bought 2x 2GB kingston mem, for 170 euro with mailamac.nl
but that's in holland.

dbranham
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
.........Even if you go for quality RAM (which you should!).....
Why should you go with quality memory? Obviously, he stock answer is that it will perform better. But I hear people constantly touting the necessity of high-quality memory, and I get the impression that it's not as important as some would have us believe. I've bought cheap memory twice, used it for roughly two years (total), and have never had the first problem. It's never gone out, never caused my Mac to cash, and it seems to perform very well.

I'd be interested to see some empirical evidence of the benefits of buying hoytie toytie memory. And I don't mean Kingston's study involving the use of some ultra-high end program used only by professionals.
Old Times There Are Not Forgotten

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2007, 02:45 AM

I think you misunderstood - I wasn't talking about performance. It's all about reliability here. The point I was trying to make is that you should get decent RAM from a vendor with a good warranty. If you you add RAM through the CTO option at the Apple Store it will be covered by Apple's standard warranty and AppleCare if you get that later on. If you add thrid-party RAM after buying your Mac it would be a good thing to get it with a decent warranty since Apple won't cover your third-party RAM under their warranty.

ndtechie05  (op)
Aug 13, 2007, 10:21 AM

well mine arrived this morning!!!! 3 days then it was supposed to! i'll let you know how it all goes!
iMac 24" 2.8ghz C2Extreme 2gb 320gb
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz C2D Stock
Dual 450mhz G4 - 120gb HDD - 384mb Ram
42" Samsung DLP HDTV

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2007, 03:34 PM

I'm just wondering how it feels like to use a 24 inch computer at home desk.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
You order the iMac through the Apple online store. Instead of going for the 2.8 GHz config (which comes with two 1 GB SO-DIMMs), you take the 2.4 GHz 24" config and chose the BTO option for 2.8 GHz. You then take out the single 1 GB SO-DIMM and buy two inexpensive 2 GB modules from a third party. Even if you go for quality RAM (which you should!) it will be way less than the $700 Apple charges for the RAM upgrade. And you could still sell the left over 1 GB SO-DIMM.
That makes a lot of sense....hmmm thank you! I think that might just be what I do! Wait and see! Thanks a lot!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by d0GGii View Post
Well, I don't have a new iMac (yet), but I can tell you that having a large monitor on a desk at home rocks. I used to use a 22" Apple Cinema Display, and it was a dream. I loved being able to have two documents open side by side, or have a document open with a calendar next it, etc. More real estate=a good thing.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt View Post
Well, I don't have a new iMac (yet), but I can tell you that having a large monitor on a desk at home rocks.
Indeed. I use a 24" LCD and nothing beats a huge display. As long the rest of your system is "good enough", having a huge display and maxing out your RAM are the two best things you can do for a computer.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by d0GGii View Post
It's beautiful.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2007, 04:30 PM

this thread is worthless without pictures!

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2007, 11:36 AM

Yes. Nice in all respects except Aperture will hang the system.

shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 07:02 PM

this thread is worthless without pictures!
2nd that. Can someone post cpu-z screenshot to confirm which processor(x7800 or x7900) is being used.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2007, 07:55 PM

I ordered one too (will upgrade the RAM to 4 GB when I get it):

Processor 065-7045 2.8GHZ INTEL CORE 2 EXTREME
Memory 065-6962 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x1GB
Hard Drive 065-6970 500GB Serial ATA Drive
Optical Drive 065-6972 SuperDrive 8X(DVD+R DL/DVD+RW)
Modem 065-6448 NO MODEM
Apple Software Solutions 065-6200 None
Mouse from AOS 065-7512 Apple Mighty Mouse
MAC OS Language C065-7280 WIRED KYBRD & MAC OS X KIT-CAN
Country Kit 065-6981 COUNTRY KIT

Ships by:
Aug 23 - Aug 27
Delivers by:
Aug 31 - Sep 7

I will post comments as soon as I get it.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2007, 02:48 AM

7 more days to go for me... :-)

Big Slick
Aug 17, 2007, 10:43 AM

My wait should be finally over in the next couple of hours. Fed Ex should be bringing my 24" 2.8Ghz machine shortly. Can't wait!!!

I tracked it from Shanghai, to Ankorage Alaska, down to Tennesee, and then back up to Canada! What a journey...
"Good things come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late"

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2007, 11:17 AM

Just a FYI for those in the U.S. -- MacConnection will have the 2.8 GHz model in stock soon for $1,999.. no tax and free shipping.

Big Slick
Aug 17, 2007, 05:41 PM

Woo-hoo!!! It's all hooked up and it is amazing. Even the picture on the box blew me away - the "magnified view" of my 24" - until I saw in small print "ACTUAL SIZE"

The wired kybrd is super cool and quiet and my wireless mouse is great as long as I don't forget to turn off the switch on the bottom. At least it only takes 2 AA batteries.

Can anyone suggest where I might go to get some good basic tips (as I'm brand new to the mac) I'd like to know what it all will do! As it is, I think I have the wipers going and can't find the switch to turn them off ;-)
"Good things come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late"

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2007, 05:23 AM

Congrats Big Slick on your new purchase!

If you're totally new to Mac, then I suggest have a poke round the apple.com site under the 'Support' tab. They have video tutorials on basic stuff, and on some of their apps. There are also lots of other Mac 'support' sites out there you can google. But for very specific problems, I tend to stick with the forums, as usually someone else has already encountered the same problem, or has tried to do what you're trying to do etc.

I'm sure you'll enjoy/be glad you made the switch!
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Can anyone suggest where I might go to get some good basic tips (as I'm brand new to the mac) I'd like to know what it all will do! As it is, I think I have the wipers going and can't find the switch to turn them off ;-)
ScreenCastsOnline - Video Tutorials for the Apple Mac and OS X

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2007, 04:25 AM

it's sweeeeet!

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Aug 25, 2007, 06:43 AM

Got mine yesterday. Love it!
Everything is perfect - the huge screen (great colors), the awesome keyboard and the sheer speed of the thing are all amazing.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

alangreenwell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 09:54 AM

Got mine a week ago to replace several windows computers.

I cannot complain at all, I've got a Vista partition along with Parallels and the whole thing just works. I work in IS so I need the Windows partition, but would love to do without it.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2007, 05:09 PM

I'm in envy, hope to get mine sometime next year. They'll probably make some updates to it by then?
One thing I'll have to do is buy a new desk or rip the shelving on top off the one I have & turn them into extra shelves.

studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 04:16 PM

Mine was shipped last night. On the last day Apple said they would when I took the order. Should be here early next week. My first new mac in over 4 1/2 years. Can't wait.

Stud...

damonledet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 08:40 AM

Finally, received my 2.8 Friday Aug 31, 2007.

A few iMac unboxing pictures!

Enjoy
Damon Ledet
24in iMac 2.8, ipod 30 gig
http://www.damonledet.com

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 11:18 AM

So...what's it like ? Can you give us some subjective impressions (I don't care about benchmarks, how does it feel using apps ?). I see you put 4 GB in it - this is pretty much exactly the machine I would buy, so I'm very interested to hear how it runs.

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2007, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
So...what's it like ? Can you give us some subjective impressions (I don't care about benchmarks, how does it feel using apps ?). I see you put 4 GB in it - this is pretty much exactly the machine I would buy, so I'm very interested to hear how it runs.
Add me to that list, I will be buying the exact same machine!! How does it run? Do all apps run smooooother than you can imagine? Come on sell me on it!!

Macvoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2007, 08:59 PM

I also received my 2.8ghz 24" iMac on Friday. My only upgrade was the 750GB hard drive. http://www.flickr.com/photos/12684757@N02/1325401526/

Coming from a 1.5Ghz G4, the speed is dramatic. For example, I can navigate in iPhoto or iMovie without any lag time. In my G4, I always had the spinning ball whenever I moved around my library or projects.

I love having the extended monitor. In the picture you can kind of see the difference between the glass and matte finish of the displays. I am fine with them.

Also, this desktop is as quiet as my laptop.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 04:32 AM

great ! Is that a 20" or a 23" (looks like the 23 at a guess). It looks stunning in that setup

I have a 20" ACD too, and this is how I would run the iMac if (when ?) I get one.

Macvoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
great ! Is that a 20" or a 23" (looks like the 23 at a guess). It looks stunning in that setup

I have a 20" ACD too, and this is how I would run the iMac if (when ?) I get one.
23". It has been a few years since I had this much screen space. I forgot how much more productive I can be.

studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 01:39 PM

Well, got mine this morning and took it home at noon. My first impression when I took it out of the box was: this thing is huge!!!! Plugged it in and did set up a few things. Wireless internet's working. Launching programs is fast as hell. I love the screen, it's beautifull. I won't have any problem using the keyboard, I like it. But I hate the mouse. I'll get something else. I had only an hour to fool around with it. I'm very happy. It's going to be a great week-end.

Later.

t.s.melliot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 02:26 PM

My wife purchased a 2.8Ghz 24" iMac within a week after their release. She was able to pick it up about a week ago and was very impressed with the machine. After about 5 days it refused to mount any discs (CD or DVD). It would accept the disc and would then spin it for 20 or 30 seconds before ejecting it. When we first spoke with the computer store, they said to bring it in so they could run a diagnostic on it to confirm the problem. Once they confirmed the problem they said they could call it DOA and get us a replacement. However, once we got there they did their best to convince us that it would be easiest for everyone involved if we just let them replace the drive. We left a little dissatisfied but my thought was that if this was an issue with the 2.8Ghz iMacs in general, whose to say that our replacement machine wouldn't do the same thing. Later that evening I realized my wife's frustration had not subsided so we talked about it and her point was that, when you buy a new machine you should get a new machine. Once a Tech outside of the factory opens the computer and replaces something it becomes a refurbished machine, which is ok if you payed a refurbished price. However, for $2200 she expected her brand new computer to last longer than a week before it needed service! We called the store and although they didn't seem terribly excited about it they didn't really give us any trouble when we asked to have it declared DOA but they did say that it would most likely be another couple weeks before we got our replacement. It was quite impressive right up untill the drive issues. If this replacement solves our optical drive issues I can tell that my wife is going to love this computer far more than her previous G4 iMac. Go figure.

Berman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 03:52 PM

my 2.8 imac arrived on my birthday actually. (present to myself). the screen is gorgeous, haven't had a single problem, machine is fast as hell compared to my old g5 imac, and once i got used to it i'm actually a lot quicker on the new keyboard than i was on the old one.

is it worth the premium over the 2.4 24"? eh, not really, but i wanted top of the line

i loathe the mighty mouse though. that was replaced with a white/grey razor mouse, quickly. the ball is nice, before it gets dirty anyway, but clicking is a lot slower than it is on other mice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules