Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Possible key logging/screen capturing going on, how can I tell?

Possible key logging/screen capturing going on, how can I tell? (Page 2)
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 09:29 PM

Yeah, you have to shoot them facing you. A lot of black families in the 50s would have people throwing bricks through their windows and driving off, but they couldn't shoot, because they were driving away.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 2, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by irunat2am View Post
Did you know that if somebody breaks into your house, and even comes at you, if you shoot them while they are turned away towards the door or towards a window it's not self defense? That's the Sunday Factoid of the Day...
Depends on where you are, who you are, and what's going on. In Texas, someone breaking into your house should know that you can shoot his @ss-it's really the law here. The "Castle Doctrine" in Texas states that there is no duty to retreat from an attacker, which means that someone you genuinely think is a threat is a fair target.

The "who you are" part is not as murky as it might sound. If the intruder is a large male and the shooter is a small female, it's likely she won't be charged either-especially if she's been harassed and stalked by the intruder.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Sep 2, 2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Depends on where you are, who you are, and what's going on. In Texas, someone breaking into your house should know that you can shoot his @ss-it's really the law here. The "Castle Doctrine" in Texas states that there is no duty to retreat from an attacker, which means that someone you genuinely think is a threat is a fair target.
Didn't Tennessee pass something like that recently?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Provoke him and then shoot him in self defense. It seems like that's all that will stop this guy.
After all I've heard, I came to the same conclusion.

-t

SpencerLavery
Sep 3, 2007, 05:39 AM

Some people don't deserve to be alive do they. I have bi-polar and I don't take any medication (prefer to fight it myself) but I would never make anybody suffer like that. He can't use the bi-polar as an excuse, he is simply an evil person.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2007, 07:34 AM

She should start sending and using fake information, that'll wind him up.

Plus all the above help.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 3, 2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Didn't Tennessee pass something like that recently?
Florida's law went into affect either in mid-2006 or a bit earlier. The Texas law codifying the new "Castle Doctrine" went into affect yesterday. I don't know about Tennessee's status.

Political aside: note the deafening silence about how Florida's "no retreat" law has NOT caused a huge increase in homicides. Just like Concealed Carry didn't... Hmmmmm.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Sep 3, 2007, 08:19 AM

(i) Make your mom change all her passwords. And make her choose a safe password that he can't guess. Very often this is the weakest link.
(ii) Make a complete re-install of the OS.
(iii) Forward all the mails to your mom's lawyer and have her file for a restraining order.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
(i) Make your mom change all her passwords. And make her choose a safe password that he can't guess. Very often this is the weakest link.
(ii) Make a complete re-install of the OS.
(iii) Forward all the mails to your mom's lawyer and have her file for a restraining order.
(i) She has changed all of her passwords quite a few times... see (ii)
(ii) We used a bunch of tools and searched for about four hours last night to find whatever we could find; we found one trojan/back-door virus that was reported as "critical" in it's safety evaluation. She had done anti-virus checks before, but didn't know that she needed to update the virus database files, so they never found anything in the past for her. So after getting rid of that the next thing we are going to do is backup her stuff, but she doesn't have a cd/dvd burner so we need to get one of those first (or a flash drive), and then format and re-install everything. Once we have done the re-install she is going to change all of her passwords at that point so that if there is something we missed last night she wont need to do it again because it was done before the re-install.
(iii) She prints out everything and gives them to her lawyer once a month. Her lawyer then files them with the city, and the charges keep mounting against the guy (he already has a restraining order against him the forbids contact of any kind except through a mediator).

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 3, 2007, 09:53 AM

Ah this reminded me of when a friend of mine and his old lady split up and I let him come live with me. Well after a few months the two started talking again. She'd come over once in awhile etc. Well when he was in the bathroom she'd search frantically for any evidence of him with other women.

So one time I photoshopped a gal naked facing the wall in my house. I even Photoshopped a little red handprint on her butt, to indicate naughty things were happening. She already believed that "I constantly had naked girls at my house 24/7 laying all over the floor" (He'd show me logs of her complaints) and thought I was a "player" and would turn him into one as well. Even though I was dating and seeing only one girl at the time. And I went over HER place when Dave lived there...

Anyhow, she found said pictures and went off the handle. Printed them out and went to Dave's work place and spazzed out and gave everyone a good laugh.

I finally showed her the pieced together Photos. She still didn't believe us.

ohwell.wav
( Last edited by Kevin; Sep 3, 2007 at 10:04 AM. )

OreoCookie
Sep 3, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Are the passwords safe?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
(ii) We used a bunch of tools and searched for about four hours last night to find whatever we could find; we found one trojan/back-door virus that was reported as "critical" in it's safety evaluation. She had done anti-virus checks before, but didn't know that she needed to update the virus database files, so they never found anything in the past for her. So after getting rid of that the next thing we are going to do is backup her stuff, but she doesn't have a cd/dvd burner so we need to get one of those first (or a flash drive), and then format and re-install everything. Once we have done the re-install she is going to change all of her passwords at that point so that if there is something we missed last night she wont need to do it again because it was done before the re-install.
(iii) She prints out everything and gives them to her lawyer once a month. Her lawyer then files them with the city, and the charges keep mounting against the guy (he already has a restraining order against him the forbids contact of any kind except through a mediator).
Honestly, that leaves only three conclusions:

a) that trojan / backdoor thing was it - I have a gut feeling that this was NOT it.
b) he is more clever than we all thought and uses a zero day exploit.
c) he is psychic.

If I was you, I'd reinstall the OS. There is not other way to rule out b)

-t

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Are the passwords safe?
They are not anything related to herself, her family, or her friends, but brute forcing them wouldn't take too long. That is something she is going to be working on from now on.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Honestly, that leaves only three conclusions:

a) that trojan / backdoor thing was it - I have a gut feeling that this was NOT it.
b) he is more clever than we all thought and uses a zero day exploit.
c) he is psychic.

If I was you, I'd reinstall the OS. There is not other way to rule out b)

-t
That's what I am also thinking (thanks to everyone's suggestions here).

OreoCookie
Sep 3, 2007, 10:24 AM

@torsoboy
Good to hear, I hope it'll work out for your mom in the end. Stalkers can be very nasty.

The password thingi just came to my mind as I was discussing just that with my mother and my sister about the kinds of passwords they use at work: I couldn't believe it (spring, summer, fall, winter, for instance, or their own last name!)!

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 3, 2007, 10:26 AM

It would be cool to find out what he installed or how he is doing it. Then let him see only things she wants him to. Which of course will be all false information.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It would be cool to find out what he installed or how he is doing it. Then let him see only things she wants him to. Which of course will be all false information.
But that could take a lo of time to find out, and meanwhile, his mom needs to know she is safe and free from the stalker.

torsoboy, you never said if getting a Mac mini would be an option.

-t

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
But that could take a lo of time to find out, and meanwhile, his mom needs to know she is safe and free from the stalker.

torsoboy, you never said if getting a Mac mini would be an option.

-t
She is crunched for money right now and can't really afford even a cheap computer at this point.

SpencerLavery
Sep 3, 2007, 04:30 PM

Swap your computer with her's. That'll throw him off.
WhiteBook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM, 250GB WD Scorpio HD
Wireless Mighty Mouse, Logitech S530 Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Hyundia 22" LCD
80GB Apple HD in Omata USB Caddy, 500GB FreeCom NAS formatted as HFS+ so no longer NAS
M-Audio Ozonic keyboard, M-Audio Solaris microphone, M-Audio BX5a speakers, Logic Studio

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Depends on where you are, who you are, and what's going on.
True that. Castle Doctrine sounds good!
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2007, 04:58 PM

Try setting everything up at a friend's house, and not hooked up to your router. Some bugs resend whenever you setup the computer again, no how you configure it.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 05:00 PM

To be honest with you, I fear more than this internet thing. I fear for your mother's safety. This guy is not right. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm sure you are aware of this. But, I am really disappointed in the system that this man is "allowed" to do all of this. I wish you and your family great things in the future. I hope you can get this man out of your lives.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 3, 2007, 07:34 PM

What was he allowed to do?

andi*pandi
Sep 3, 2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
To be honest with you, I fear more than this internet thing. I fear for your mother's safety.
seconded. his determination to ruin her life and repeating offenses should put his ass in jail asap. fricking scary.

Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 08:19 PM

I just don't understand how laws allow people like this to get tiny sentences. How much more do they need before they can put him away for life?

Forum Links
Forum Rules