Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What internal CDRW for G4 AGP?

What internal CDRW for G4 AGP?
Sean2068
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2002, 08:29 PM

What internal CDRW for G4 AGP?

I remember a post a good while back about Powermac AGP graphics not having the correct internal connections for a CDRW drive aswell as the DVD Drive already installed?

This can't be true can it?

Sean2068  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2002, 03:03 PM

Wow this forum is helpful. Ive tried looking at the spec sheets for my machine but the Apple specs dont give any info on the internal connections for a CDR drive and Zip drive...

Help me I need a CDRW and i dont want to make a big mistake.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 31, 2002, 03:18 PM

I have a G4 AGP with a Sony CDRW installed. Mind you, I had to take out the stock DVD drive - since there is only one 5.25 drive bay open on the towers. I think you'll be pretty safe with most CDRW drives out there - the biggest pain is finding one that is compatiable with iTunes and DiskBurner if you care about these. Even though my drive isn't compatiable with these programs, I use Toast and it does the job fine.

As far as connections go, everything's bog standard.

You may want to take a look over at www.xlr8yourmac.com and take a look at their CDRW drive database to see what kind of drive options you have available to you. I always check this site first before I buy any addons.

Good luck!
-s'fit

MusicMac
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2002, 04:25 PM

I took out my DVD drive in my G4 400 and replaced it with a 16x10x40 Yamaha. It works great.
G4/400 - 20/10GB HD -256MB RAM -OS X 10.1.2

Sean2068  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2002, 10:07 PM

Thanks guys. I have to decide now if a DVD drive is important enough to me.

I might go for the External Firewire Freecom Traveller II as ill be able to use it with my ibook. I hate the idea of paying 50quid more because its external though.

Worboren
Feb 1, 2002, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by Sean2068:
<STRONG>Thanks guys. I have to decide now if a DVD drive is important enough to me.</STRONG>
If you're like me and watch DVDs maybe once a month then it should be no problem. It takes maybe 5-6 minutes to swap the drives if you really need it (it's only 6 screws after all) and both OS9 and OSX have no probs recognizing the drives (although I have Toast installed and maybe it's Toast extensions at work here).

I have a 16x Teac in a G4/400 AGP here and it burns 'em fast! It's a little noisy and mounts CDs a tad slower than the DVD drive but I can live with it...

Cipher13
Feb 1, 2002, 09:32 AM

6 screws? 2 here... and those don't even need to be left in...

Get a Yamaha CRW2100 Lightspeed burner (16*10*24).

I think iTunes et al support it... don't know for sure.

But even if not, who cares? Toast is a thousand times better.

Worboren
Feb 1, 2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>6 screws? 2 here... and those don't even need to be left in...
</STRONG>
Yeah, 2 on the front to get it out and 4 more on the metal cover.

Here is the installation guide with pictures.

Oh, and I agree completely about Toast

Sean2068  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2002, 10:19 AM

What is the cheapest CDRW drive i can get that supports iTunes?

Cipher13
Feb 1, 2002, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by Worboren:
<STRONG>

Yeah, 2 on the front to get it out and 4 more on the metal cover.

Here is the installation guide with pictures.

Oh, and I agree completely about Toast </STRONG>
...4 more on the metal cover? Nuh uh...
Not on my Sawtooth anyway...

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2002, 01:42 AM

Run don't walk over to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ they have a 'drive database' that will answer just about any question you can think of WRT drives of any type and their working status when connected to just about any Mac made...

Anyway it took me only a few seconds to find this:

Yet another happy customer here with the Toshiba SD-R1102 (8x/8x32x + 8x DVD). Installed it last night. A little tricky since the Toshiba is slightly longer than the Hitachi DVD drive it was replacing. It meant moving the back plate on the DVD/Zip drive metal case back a notch.

I am using Toast 5.1 and the drive does indeed burn at 8x. I haven't tried X but the drive does boot my 9.1 CD. The drive does read faster than Apple's built-in Hitachi drive. Too bad I bought this drive just before the newer 16x drives came out but I am happy nonetheless. I got it off ebay for US$70 so that's not too bad for a great drive.

Good luck to others considering this drive. I bought it for my AGP G4/400 and it works just great.
Rob
Also here is a comment from Mike (the man who runs the site) on the drive.

...Toshiba R1102 Combo drives (not as fast - only 8x8 CDR/CDRW speeds) but as I noted last fall (and others have) - it was totally plug and play in my G4/AGP tower with OS 9 and OS X (itunes, discburner support as well as Toast and DVD players in both OS versions working fine.)...
Looks like you might wanna keep your eyes open for any deals on the Toshiba R1102 Combo... While it isn't the FASTEST burner it's not too bad a 8x **and** you get to keep your movie habbit!

..edit..

Oh and just be careful about the 16x as refered to above... I read a less than stellar review on that drive (in the database) I'd stick with the 8x if you want the drive now or hold off and see if the 'newer 16x' version starts getting better reports.

Good luck

Dave

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules