Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Has anyone here bought the new 17" hi res led mbp??

Has anyone here bought the new 17" hi res led mbp??
jjahshik32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 03:56 AM

I'm seriously thinking about selling my mac pro 2.8ghz and selling my 15" 2.4ghz SR mbp and just opting for a single 17" mbp and put the rest of the money in the bank.

But my question is to the people who bought the new 17" hi res mbp and curious on the quality of the screen. Also do you guys notice a significant increase in speed compared to the sr mbp?? I do alot of encoding of hd content and think the 17" can get the job done while pocketing 5 grand.
*15" Macbook pro sr 2.4ghz (led) 4gb ram, hitachi 7k200*
*Mac Pro 2.8ghz 8 core, 16gb RAM (transintl), Raptor 10k 150gb, 23" ACD*

solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 10:31 AM

I cannot answer any of those questions, but I can tell you that they are not shipping for 2-3 weeks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 07:46 PM

There is no SR MBP, but the latest ones aren't much faster than the previous ones aside from a few apps that can make use of the increased cache or SSE4.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 07:54 PM

I was under the impression on the 15" had a LED backlit screen?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 29, 2008, 08:09 PM

The 15" MBP and the 17" MBP with HD BTO option have LED backlit screens.

jjahshik32  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
There is no SR MBP, but the latest ones aren't much faster than the previous ones aside from a few apps that can make use of the increased cache or SSE4.
SR= Santa Rosa/Merom

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2008, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by jjahshik32 View Post
SR= Santa Rosa/Merom
SR = Santa Rosa. Merom works with both Napa and Crestline so really it has nothing special to do with SR.

And no, there is no SR Mac and there never has been. It's Crestline. We've gone over this several times already. I'm surprised it still pops up every now and then.

jjahshik32  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
SR = Santa Rosa. Merom works with both Napa and Crestline so really it has nothing special to do with SR.

And no, there is no SR Mac and there never has been. It's Crestline. We've gone over this several times already. I'm surprised it still pops up every now and then.
Well it is Crestline code named "Santa Rosa." Same thing.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2008, 11:58 PM

No. Crestline is the code name for the chipset; Santa Rosa is the codename for the Core 2 Duo + Cresline + Kedron (4965AGN wifi) platform.

jjahshik32  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
No. Crestline is the code name for the chipset; Santa Rosa is the codename for the Core 2 Duo + Cresline + Kedron (4965AGN wifi) platform.
What I read on what the Santa Rosa is is just a Crestline Platform which usually has direct x10 support, to me in the end santa rosa is crestline.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2008, 06:27 AM

Umm, no. Crestline and SR are both code names. But while one is the code name for a mobile platform the other is a chipset. They are most definitely not the same thing.

What I read on what the Santa Rosa is is just a Crestline Platform which usually has direct x10 support, to me in the end santa rosa is crestline.
You are entirely wrong on this one. DirectX has nothing at all to do with it.

SR is a Centrino platform. No Mac has ever been part of that. Have you ever noticed a Centrino badge anywhere on Apple's marketing material or boxes? Nope. Well there's a reason for that. Macs aren't Centrino.

Here's the real deal: The SR platform has three requirements:
• C2D processor (Merom or Penryn)
• Crestline chipset (GM965 or PM965)
• Kedron WiFi chipset (Intel 4965AGN)

The MBP has the first two, but it has an Atheros WiFi chipset instead of Intel's Kedron. And hence while the MBP has the same chipset as other SR notebooks (namely Crestline) it does not fulfill the requirements of SR. It is not SR. Plain and simple.

Calling any Mac SR because it has a Crestline chipset is like calling a plane a car because both happen to have wheels.

Can we now stop this nonsense?

jjahshik32  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Umm, no. Crestline and SR are both code names. But while one is the code name for a mobile platform the other is a chipset. They are most definitely not the same thing.

You are entirely wrong on this one. DirectX has nothing at all to do with it.

SR is a Centrino platform. No Mac has ever been part of that. Have you ever noticed a Centrino badge anywhere on Apple's marketing material or boxes? Nope. Well there's a reason for that. Macs aren't Centrino.

Here's the real deal: The SR platform has three requirements:
• C2D processor (Merom or Penryn)
• Crestline chipset (GM965 or PM965)
• Kedron WiFi chipset (Intel 4965AGN)

The MBP has the first two, but it has an Atheros WiFi chipset instead of Intel's Kedron. And hence while the MBP has the same chipset as other SR notebooks (namely Crestline) it does not fulfill the requirements of SR. It is not SR. Plain and simple.

Calling any Mac SR because it has a Crestline chipset is like calling a plane a car because both happen to have wheels.

Can we now stop this nonsense?
Ah, got ya. So basically the wifi makes it the "whole" part of the platform "Santa Rosa." Either way the Santa Rosa has been burned into my mind with the previous version of mbp's and thats what I call them. So its a partial Santa Rosa/with an atheros wifi card/chipset.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2008, 03:18 PM

Ah, got ya. So basically the wifi makes it the "whole" part of the platform "Santa Rosa." Either way the Santa Rosa has been burned into my mind with the previous version of mbp's and thats what I call them. So its a partial Santa Rosa/with an atheros wifi card/chipset.
Why go through contortions like "partial Santa Rosa with Atheros wifi" when there's a simple, less ambiguous name for it?

jjahshik32  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2008, 05:09 PM

Just been calling it SR mbp for way too long and just convenient for me to distinguish between the exact penryn and merom mbp model. I guess since the pc counterparts are the sr mbp which the apple's version (which I now know isnt the sr really due to the only wifi card being different) but similar in every other spec and same time span.

Anyway anyone receive their 17" led mbp? I'm eager to hear a review from it or how great the screen is.
( Last edited by jjahshik32; Mar 3, 2008 at 05:17 PM. )

Magicite
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2008, 05:38 PM

Ordered the 17" High-res LED Glossy display last Tuesday. Expected ship date: March 18th.

Playing the waiting game...
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 06:47 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by Simon
The 15" MBP and the 17" MBP with HD BTO option have LED backlit screens.
I can see that the 17" has this option but not the 15"--too bad.

jjahshik32  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Magicite View Post
Ordered the 17" High-res LED Glossy display last Tuesday. Expected ship date: March 18th.

Playing the waiting game...
oh, I hate that game. Congrats man~!! If you can comment on how you love the 17" hi res glossy when you receive it then I'd appreciate it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2008, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
I can see that the 17" has this option but not the 15"--too bad.
HD is an option only on the 17". Presumably because Apple believes that ~150 ppi is simply too high.

The LED backlit is only an option on the 17" HD because it's always there on the 15".

Fusion
Senior User
Mar 5, 2008, 06:26 AM

I ordered the 17" high resolution matte screen the day they were announced. My expected ship date is March 11th - 14th. I would be bummed about the wait time but I'll be @ SXSW for a week. I will be bummed however if they start bumping that date back. The local stores also don't have any in stock and have no idea when they'll get em.

I previously owned the 17" high resolution non-LED 2.6 MBP and the screen was great. The only 2 issues I had with it were a) some uneven backlighting until it got warm and b) brightness was a bit dim compared to my CC 15" MBP. I expect the LED to address both of those issues.

However, even with the CC instead of the LED, the main advantage of this option will ALWAYS be the increased DPI. OS X simply looks insanely beautiful at that high DPI. Using my 15" or a desktop looks goofy and uncomfortable now, almost like something from a toy store. Once you go high DPI you'll never go back ... as long as your eyes can take it. I of course wouldn't recommend it if you're 70.

Forum Links
Forum Rules