Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone + ActiveSync

iPhone + ActiveSync
CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2008, 03:03 PM

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 03:23 PM

This will be good for the few people at my company that use iPhones (myself included). I just wonder if we'll have to keep our VPNs up to use it, or if it will work outside of the VPN like the Blackberries do.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

vln2
Mar 6, 2008, 04:07 PM

Long overdue. Still best thing that happened since last June.

kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 04:09 PM

This is great for Exchange users, but what about the rest of us? I can't believe Apple would offer ActiveSync without simultaneously releasing a .mac upgrade that would allow regular users to have over-the-air syncing of contacts, calendars, and tasks.

kman

CorpITGuy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2008, 05:26 PM

Looks like it won't be coming till June? Ack!
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Pair of iPhones

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 6, 2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
This is great for Exchange users, but what about the rest of us? I can't believe Apple would offer ActiveSync without simultaneously releasing a .mac upgrade that would allow regular users to have over-the-air syncing of contacts, calendars, and tasks.

kman
Maybe Apple will...if .mac starts supporting OTA syncing like that, I just might get a .mac account.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2008, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I just wonder if we'll have to keep our VPNs up to use it, or if it will work outside of the VPN like the Blackberries do.
This will be up to your IT department. If they open the Exchange server up to access outside the firewall, then no VPN is required. ActiveSync is very much a solution that gives IT admins flexibility on how they want to set it up without having to forward all e-mails to a 3rd party company outside of the IT groups control (RIM) to get them onto a device.
<This space under renovation>

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 11:15 AM

This is good news, indeed. Maybe now the stalling by the IT department will end in less than four months.

surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008, 07:24 PM

I agree- what about mac users that use Leopard server in their offices or .mac users? I assume there will be push calendar OTA sync solution for us? Astounding if not.

GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2008, 10:15 PM

Well what does that clearly mean the average Joe who just want to receive Gmail as push on the iPhone?

Gmail is not based on Exchange so?

My gf has the Push option on her Blackberry and she receives Gmail as push.. I dont get it. Isn't Gmail supposed to have the infrastructure - a server running Exchange - to provide Push?
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008, 06:45 PM

for those who have experience with active sync....what type of information is needed to set up the access on other devices? Or does it depend on how my IT dept set up the access? Seems one of my colleagues recently replaced his blackbery with a new device and needed a code to enter on his phone to get the sync/email push working.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2008, 11:44 PM

Another question before I forget to ask my colleagues at work who may already be using active sync: how does the contact integration work? Do the exchange contacts overwrite my mac address book contacts? Or do they reside together ? Or is it to early to know what will happen with iPhone? For those who use it currently or have in the past how does/did it work?

Thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2008, 02:17 AM

Noone knows how the iPhone will deal with Contacts with ActiveSync, or rather people that do know can't say currently.

I do hope it is easy to separate home from work, as I'd like the corporate address book on my iPhone for e-mails and such, but would prefer my personal contacts to stay off the company servers.
<This space under renovation>

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2008, 07:51 PM

thanks drakino. I was afraid the answer would be something like that but I had to try. In addition to keeping my personal contacts I'd also not have my work contacts stored on my home mac

I was also wondering if any know how it works in the winMobile or RIM world as far as contacts go.
Thanks!!
( Last edited by zanyterp; Mar 10, 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: clarify note)

CorpITGuy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2008, 09:19 AM

Generally, ActiveSync likes to combine all of your contacts. Apple would have a third-party mechanism for keeping them separate, if there were to be such a thing...

By its nature, ActiveSync will sync all of your devices and programs... Outlook on your work PC, Entourage running Exchange on your home Mac, your Windows Mobile phone, etc... I don't see why the iPhone would be any different.

Pair of iPhones

Bearsfan34
Mar 12, 2008, 01:24 PM

Watching the SDK announcement, there appear to be checkboxes for using ActiveSync to sync Contacts if you want to. For me, I don't want work's contacts anywhere near my iPhone or MacBook...I've combined my personal Address Book with just the work contacts I want access to at all times. This will be VERY handy for me, while also great for those on staff here who don't even have a personal web account & use Exchange for EVERYTHING.

I'm the IT guy here, with 4 iPhone users (soon to be 5), and I can't WAIT for ActiveSync. Everything will be turned on/allowed for full access.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2008, 02:41 PM

I've been using Outlook for contacts & calendar on a Dell laptop with sync to an iPhone (iTunes media stuff comes from an iMac). It doesn't really bother me that the Exchange server "knows" anything about my personal contacts. I'm not really expecting anyone to be able to do anything with that info. And work contacts on the iMac? Would be no big deal.

The ultimate solution (not that I think iPhone SW 2.0 will do this) would be to have personal contacts sync between the iPhone & iMac, and work contacts sync between the iPhone & Dell. The iPhone has both sets of contacts, the individual machines have their own, and any changes made on the iPhone to one set or the other gets sync'ed back to the correct computer.

The way it works now (personal contacts in Outlook, all contacts up-to-date in Outlook, occasional copies back to iMac to keep AddressBook updated) is fine.

Just my $0.02.
QS

CorpITGuy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2008, 04:14 PM

I combined all of my contacts a long time ago. Personal contacts often become business partners and business partners become friends. I have one life... not two. That's how it all makes sense in my mind, anyway...

Pair of iPhones

Forum Links
Forum Rules