Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > British Airways in pampered Hollywood celebs bombshell

British Airways in pampered Hollywood celebs bombshell
The Blue Meanie
Nov 9, 2001, 04:13 PM

A few days ago, the head of British Airways (who is in fact a stereotypically blunt Australian) labelled US celebrities who refuse to fly abroad in the wake of September 11 "gutless cowards" and accused them of setting a bad example to the public (this includes one-time silver screen hardman Bruce Willis among many others..). I was reminded of this Antipodean outburst this morning when watching a news report about the MTV Europe Music Awards held in Germany yesterday, at which almost all US acts were conspicious by their absence - one honorable exception being leather-lunged glam soulster Anastacia (even though several members of her band had refused to fly over with her). Several of the acts who had been invited (such as airbrushed swingbeaters Destiny's Child) openly admitted they were too scared to fly to the awards.
I know the September 11 attacks were major events but the planes hijacked were domestic flights, weren't they? What do you infidel sons and daughters of Uncle Sam think of this?

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: The Blue Meanie ]

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: The Blue Meanie ]
Been in the long grass....

grand illusion
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2001, 04:31 PM

it might have something to do with the fact that over here in the states, there is still no "real" security at u.s. airports. just the other day a nepalese got past the x-ray machine at one of our airports with all kinds of goodies in his bag... didn't get caught untill a random check before boarding... a random check!

i myself won't fly untill we adopt the same type of security as israel's national airline, el-al...

which means i'll probably never fly again...

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: grand illusion ]
They're coming to take me away, ha-haa!!! To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time...

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2001, 02:02 AM

I think the guy perhaps has seen too many Hollywood movies and it's gone to his head.

"What's up with that Bruce Willis not flying? Why, I've seen him kick the gun out of a guy's hand while dangling from a skyscraper, then jump off and land on the roof of another skycraper just 2 seconds before a bomb went off blowing up the first skyscraper...

He should stand at the door of the plane, and when a terrorist gets on and brushes past him, his 'evil guy' sense will go off. The more he flies, the sooner we'll have them all rounded up."

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2001, 03:31 AM

most celebs are egotistical, self-centered, and totally out of touch with the real world. They're used to being pampered, sucked up to, and absolutely unaccountable to anyone.

My advice: forget about the celebs--they're the last folks that would ever defend America and our values. In the meantime, Billy Joe with no college education from South Carolina is over in Afghanistan with the Delta Force waiting to get back at those f*cking terrorists for what they did to his country. These are the folks who've given their lives for the USA and freedom. Richard Gere isn't someone who'd fight for America, but Billy Joe sure as hell will. Let's be thankful that these folks make up America, not the Hollywood types.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Nov 10, 2001, 03:41 AM

What do you infidel sons and daughters of Uncle Sam think of this?
"Well I find that very interresting since I am entirely made of wood.

But seriously, My father was born in Newcastle England and moved here with his parents back in the early part of the last century (about 1920 or so). The native americans were mostly driven out by the early settlers of this country.

So what I'm trying to say is the whole "daughters and sons" of "uncle sam" statement makes no sense to me. Most Americans are just illegal aliens in many ways.

Mike

The Blue Meanie  (op)
Nov 10, 2001, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>I think the guy perhaps has seen too many Hollywood movies and it's gone to his head.
</STRONG>
Okay, I suppose I asked for that....I didn't mean I thought Bruce Willis could literally whoop bad guys' asses, I just meant I thought it was [/i]ironic[/i] that the actor who's played so many tough guys on screen should be refusing to fly.

"Americans will, with immediate effect, appreciate irony. Britains will understand that two ice cubes in a drink is not nearly enough."
- No 26 of US humourist/ travel writer Bill Bryson's rules to make the world a better place

The Blue Meanie  (op)
Nov 10, 2001, 05:50 AM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>

"Well I find that very interresting since I am entirely made of wood.

But seriously, My father was born in Newcastle England and moved here with his parents back in the early part of the last century (about 1920 or so). The native americans were mostly driven out by the early settlers of this country.

So what I'm trying to say is the whole "daughters and sons" of "uncle sam" statement makes no sense to me. Most Americans are just illegal aliens in many ways.

Mike</STRONG>

I wouldn't worry too much about it, my friend. It's a just a fancy phrase I liked the sound of. I'm a journalist by trade - I play with words for a living Good point about the point about the Native Americans.
Newcastle, eh? Been there many times. It's just one county up from here. Famous bridge, famous football (soccer) team, air of industrial decay. Harway the lads! Toon Army!
How, lads, have yuz hord aboot aal this in the pay-paz an' on the telly aboot how wuz are all ganna hev tu be sophisti-kay-ted, an' that? Aye man, hev ye not hord aboot his city of cultcha thing man? Why aye! The toon's put in an offer on European city of cultcha two thoosand an' eight, man!

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: The Blue Meanie ]

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2001, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by The Blue Meanie:
<STRONG>

Okay, I suppose I asked for that....I didn't mean I thought Bruce Willis could literally whoop bad guys' asses, I just meant I thought it was [/i]ironic[/i] that the actor who's played so many tough guys on screen should be refusing to fly.

"Americans will, with immediate effect, appreciate irony. Britains will understand that two ice cubes in a drink is not nearly enough."
- No 26 of US humourist/ travel writer Bill Bryson's rules to make the world a better place</STRONG>
heh heh relax BM, I didn't mean you, by 'this guy' I was refering to the head of British Airways who came out with the statement in the first place.

What he said:
"They want everyone to see their movies and think how big and brave they are. But at the first sign of trouble they cower under their beds like gutless cowards. It's pathetic,'' BA chief executive Rod Eddington was quoted as saying in the Mirror."

Ummm...how "big and brave" they are? Hello Rod... mo-vie. Fic-tion. Special-Effects. Not real.

I'm no huge fan of Hollywood celebs either, don't really care much whatever it is they do, but... I dunno, this is just a weird statement.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: CRASH HARDDRIVE ]

Matsu
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2001, 09:38 AM

You know what, the airline industry is getting it's due. Not death and tragedy, but genuine public fear. People are right to be afraid, airport security all over north america is ridiculous. For the last 20 years every industry analyst who mentioned the systemic security problems within our airports was labled a sensationalist/alarmist by the FAA, the industry, local politicians, etc...

Just in case the point wasn't made clearly or dramatically enough: ON SEPT 11, 5000 PEOPLE DIED AT THE HANDS OF MEN ARMED WITH KITCHEN IMPLEMENTS!!!

The days following the attacks saw serious delay at every NA airport. People complained. Bureacrats promised a return to convenient service. WHAT??? It should be that inconvenient (as in the days after the attacks) every single time someone gets on a plane. 2-4 hours to board a plane shouldn't be the exception, it ought to be the rule.

I guarantee you. If you look you'll find a consistent pattern of security bowing to convenience. At pattern that has been encouraged by the whole industry at large, and, in the best case, accepted by bureaucrats -- in the worst case? I'm sure a few people who knew better were swayed by all manner of professional reward, promotions, plum postings, too-good to be true job offers... I'm sure no one was acting out of malice, but the whole industry seemed to have developed tunnel vision, and as a corporate culture it rewarded those who shared that vision. Land, refuel, fly. Third rate, third-party private security? Land, refuel, fly. Understaffed, over-worked customs officials? Land, refuel, fly. Cursory or wholly inadequate security checks for groud personelle? Land, refuel, fly. Baggage check at the gate? Land, refuel, fly. Minimal holdover on connectors? Land, refuel, fly. No regular Air Marshall service? Land, refuel, fly.

Now Bush wants people to get back into a plane; to keep on doing as they have in the past. NO FVCKING WAY!!! Fix the problems the first. I don't care about the cost. Cry about jobs if you want -- I don't care. Maybe you ought to rethink some of those corporate salaries before you slash all those jobs. FIX THE PROBLEMS FIRST. You, the airline industry let this happen, fix it! Don't guilt the public: Don't imply cowardice. Acknowledge your mistakes, fix them. Don't cry about the cost, if you can't do it the way it should be done, then don't do it! Quite sadly, quite literally, we can live without you.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

The Blue Meanie  (op)
Nov 10, 2001, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>

heh heh relax BM, I didn't mean you, by 'this guy' I was refering to the head of British Airways who came out with the statement in the first place.

What he said:
"They want everyone to see their movies and think how big and brave they are. But at the first sign of trouble they cower under their beds like gutless cowards. It's pathetic,'' BA chief executive Rod Eddington was quoted as saying in the Mirror."

Ummm...how "big and brave" they are? Hello Rod... mo-vie. Fic-tion. Special-Effects. Not real.

I'm no huge fan of Hollywood celebs either, don't really care much whatever it is they do, but... I dunno, this is just a weird statement.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: CRASH HARDDRIVE ]</STRONG>
Oh, sorry mate. Obviously I misunderstood. No offence taken
Pertinent point about Eddington

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: The Blue Meanie ]

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2001, 12:10 PM

I'm reminded of some of Hollywood's actors/musicians who joined in World War II. Actors like Clark Cable, Jimmy Stewart and Glenn Miller. All were in active duty and nearly got killed. Glenn Miller in fact lost his life in '44 when his plane went down.

Clark Gable's wife Carole Lombard was on a USO trip when her plane was shot down...Bob Hope and his USO troupe got into some hairy situations in WWII, Korea and in Vietnam...and this only to entertain weary, lonely soldiers and sailors...

Yeah, I think times are different alright...

pscates
Nov 10, 2001, 02:33 PM

You nailed it. I don't think it's so much Hollywood vs. Real People, merely the times.

The people you mentioned (Hope, Stewart, Miller, etc.), they were from a less self-centered, pampered time. That's just what people did back then.

40 years of relative ease and comfort have changed LOTS of things and I couldn't even imagine today's Hollywood heavyweights putting themselves anywhere near harm's way to entertain troops...much less give up their life of luxury and privilege (did I spell that right?) to join the military and actually go to battle.

Could any of you honestly imagine Affleck, Paltrow, Cruise, Portman, Pitt or Aniston rushing to enlist, even if things got REALLY bad? Why, the lack of Evian in the mess hall alone...

The other guy above was right: the no-name guys without much education or access are - as usual - the ones making the sacrifices and doing the job. I have WAY more admiration and respect for them than any chowderhead who's ever made a movie or appeared in People magazine's "50 Most Beautiful, Well-Dressed and Well Hung" issue.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]

The Blue Meanie  (op)
Nov 11, 2001, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by pscates:
<STRONG>You nailed it. I don't think it's so much Hollywood vs. Real People, merely the times.

The people you mentioned (Hope, Stewart, Miller, etc.), they were from a less self-centered, pampered time. That's just what people did back then.

40 years of relative ease and comfort have changed LOTS of things and I couldn't even imagine today's Hollywood heavyweights putting themselves anywhere near harm's way to entertain troops...much less give up their life of luxury and privilege (did I spell that right?) to join the military and actually go to battle.

Could any of you honestly imagine Affleck, Paltrow, Cruise, Portman, Pitt or Aniston rushing to enlist, even if things got REALLY bad? Why, the lack of Evian in the mess hall alone...

The other guy above was right: the no-name guys without much education or access are - as usual - the ones making the sacrifices and doing the job. I have WAY more admiration and respect for them than any chowderhead who's ever made a movie or appeared in People magazine's "50 Most Beautiful, Well-Dressed and Well Hung" issue.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]</STRONG>
Allow me to wholeheartedly second that, Mr Scates....

The Blue Meanie  (op)
Nov 11, 2001, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by The Blue Meanie:
<STRONG>
Harway the lads! Toon Army!
How, lads, have yuz hord aboot aal this in the pay-paz an' on the telly aboot how wuz are all ganna hev tu be sophisti-kay-ted, an' that? Aye man, hev ye not hord aboot his city of cultcha thing man? Why aye! The toon's put in an offer on European city of cultcha two thoosand an' eight, man!

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: The Blue Meanie ]</STRONG>
Doesn't anyone want to ask me for a translation then?

Forum Links
Forum Rules