Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > really weird ibook 9.1 behavior...HELP !

really weird ibook 9.1 behavior...HELP !
videoboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 09:45 PM

i hooked up my icebook runiing 9.1 to my new powerbook in firewire target mode to transfer files to the powerbook...

now, when i restart my ibook, i get a flashing square with a globe in it, followed by the dreaded flashing question mark, followed by the happy mac...then the damn thing boots...

what the hell is going on ?

should i be worried and how do i fix it?...

thanks for your help

stephen

Blackadder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2002, 01:07 PM

I have been getting this too ever since I upgraded my iBook to 9.1. It does seem odd but doesn't effect the computer in any other way that I can tell.

Originally posted by videoboy:
i hooked up my icebook runiing 9.1 to my new powerbook in firewire target mode to transfer files to the powerbook...

now, when i restart my ibook, i get a flashing square with a globe in it, followed by the dreaded flashing question mark, followed by the happy mac...then the damn thing boots...

what the hell is going on ?

should i be worried and how do i fix it?...

thanks for your help

stephen

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2002, 05:40 PM

Issue and Explanation: The flashing square with the globe is NetBoot. The machine is looking for a network system folder to boot off. Then you're seeing the Question Mark icon because it couldn't find a suitable volume to boot off. Finally, you're seeing the Happy Mac and the machine is booting because it found a suitable system folder on your internal drive. (That's the way it should be working from the outset, of course.)

Solution: What you'll want to do is go to the Startup Disk control panel and click on the name of your internal drive, so that the machine will know to go to that drive immediately on boot. Verify that the issue has been taken care of by then clicking the Restart button in the control panel.

Some operations performed to a machine (including the installation of clean system software without startup disk reselection, as noted by the other poster) will cause it to no longer look to its internal drive by default, and this is the most likely cause of your problem.

If, after you've reselected your internal drive, you still have problems, then your boot volume is slightly corrupt. I highly recommend Alsoft Disk Warrior for hard drive repair/optimization. It's the best utility of its kind, in my opinion. But I don't think drive damage is the cause of your problem; I would definitely use the startup disk control panel before going to any other remedy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules