Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > You iBook Folks had it figured out all along!

You iBook Folks had it figured out all along!
lisantica
Forum Regular
May 17, 2003, 07:20 PM

I just purchased (a few weeks back) a Powerbook 12" --hang in there with me.....and now I finally know what you iBookers knew all along, that portability is GREAT! I'm not here to compare specs or speed, etc. I just want to note that for me, the 12" size and perhaps 14" size is great for portability. I'm selling my 15" because I find myself grabbing my smaller laptop all the time. Besides, I was always afraid to be mobile with my 15" Ti for fear of scratching it or worse. Here's to portability!

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
May 17, 2003, 10:52 PM

Congrats but why are you in the iBook room and not the Powerbook room ?

lisantica  (op)
Forum Regular
May 17, 2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Congrats but why are you in the iBook room and not the Powerbook room ?
I usually do hang out in the PowerBook room, but it seemed like this was the logical spot to congratulate those who already knew that laptops are extraordinarily useful when you can just grab 'em and go. Plus, I was slightly kicking myself for not getting an iBook years ago!

x user
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by lisantica:
I usually do hang out in the PowerBook room, but it seemed like this was the logical spot to congratulate those who already knew that laptops are extraordinarily useful when you can just grab 'em and go. Plus, I was slightly kicking myself for not getting an iBook years ago!
Well now you know. I've had three iBooks now. I've always treated them like crap, and the only problems I've had with it is the new battery issue with 10.2.4.

In short, they rock.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by lisantica:
Plus, I was slightly kicking myself for not getting an iBook years ago!
I was lucky enough to appreciate portability relatively early. I even traded a Wallstreet PowerBook G3 for a PowerBook 2400c with "only" a PPC 603e. When my tiny 2400c was nearing the end of its useful life, I bought an iBook (Dual USB) in May 2001. After the too-large (but very impressive) PowerBook G4, the white iBook was the answer to my prayers. Now that the PowerBook line has a 12" notebook as well, I'll probably be moving to a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook later this year. But in the meantime, the iBook is still the original 12-inch Apple notebook, and serves me well every day.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

x user
Mac Elite
May 18, 2003, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by escher:
I was lucky enough to appreciate portability relatively early. I even traded a Wallstreet PowerBook G3 for a PowerBook 2400c with "only" a PPC 603e. When my tiny 2400c was nearing the end of its useful life, I bought an iBook (Dual USB) in May 2001. After the too-large (but very impressive) PowerBook G4, the white iBook was the answer to my prayers. Now that the PowerBook line has a 12" notebook as well, I'll probably be moving to a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook later this year. But in the meantime, the iBook is still the original 12-inch Apple notebook, and serves me well every day.

Escher
I agree, and if I ever get some money saved up, thats the route i will take as well. I started out with my iBook 366 because i found it at a good price, I was never intending to keep it. But since I bought it and tried it out, i was hooked on the porability and durability of it. When the 500mhz models were introduced I was worried that they wouldn't stand up to the same kind of use. But somehow Apple made them just as sturdy. When I sold my (Then overclocked) 500mhz and bought a Cube, I missed the portablity so much that I ended up selling the cube and buying the 800mhz I'm using now. The only thing I really miss is the G4.

If the 12" PB would get a ATi Radion (9600 Mob?), I would buy one in a heartbeat. I don't really like nVidia's Laptop offerings.

mark2
May 18, 2003, 01:48 PM

escher, I saw your post and had to add my two-cents.

I also have a 2001 iBook. It's a 500 and I use it at work and at home. Lots and lots of hours every day. It still does everything I need it to do.

And while the PCs at the office are always going down with all of their many, many problems, my little iBook keeps kicking tail and getting the job done.

We have two offices full of new PCs running XP and the office people are going through pure misery with them. That's why I take my ibook to the office. I hate having to suffer the bugs and quirks built into those POS PCs

Sometimes I think about getting a new machine but my iBook still works so well that I realy can't justify the pruchase.

Guess I'll just have to wait for the 970 : )

Forum Links
Forum Rules