Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > How do you get an app on the itunes app store?

How do you get an app on the itunes app store?
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2009, 03:15 AM

We are going to be getting an iPhone application developed by a third party company, but my question is how do we test it on our phones while it is in development (since it wont be downloadable through the app store at that time), and once it is finished how do we get it put onto the app store for our end-users to download and use?

Anyone ever gone through this process yet? I googled it, but my google skills seem to be lacking tonight...

Rumor
Dec 31, 2009, 04:07 AM

Ask Peter. Him and some others recently put one up. He advertised for Beta testers here not too long back.

http://forums.macnn.com/110/iphone-a...-beta-testers/
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 31, 2009, 09:34 AM

Here's a great article on Gizmodo about a couple guys that put together an app in a weekend. It includes everything from writing the app to the submission process.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2009, 09:47 AM

doesn't hurt to go to the source either...tells you what level ADC you have to be as well as gives you the guidelines and links to the forms to fill out.

https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObj...hone/index.php

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2009, 01:17 PM

I submitted an app earlier this year.

You can test on your own devices with development builds. Provide all your device IDs to the developer website and you can get a development ad-hoc distribution profile that will let you load the app on your devices.

Submit to the app store through iTunes connect, part of the developer website.

torsoboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks guys! That's a lot of great information.

touchmatter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2010, 07:12 PM

You will need to provide to the developer of the app your iPhone UDID (Unique Device ID). The developer will then create on his side a profile that contains the list of devices that can run the application when not being distributed by the AppStore.
When you are a single registered developer you can have up to 100 devices registered to your account, I believe when you are a registered iPhone company, you can have more device.
When the developer has a build ready for you, he/she will send you the binary of the app + a provisioning profile that you will need to install on your iPhone. The installation is easy : you simply drag&drop both the app binary + the provile in iTunes and the next time you sync with iTunes both will be installed on your iPhone.
From now on you will be able to run the app on your device : when the OS start the app, it will check if the app is authorized to run on your iPhone by checking the provisioning file.
Usually provisioning profile are valid for 3 months, so depending on how long it take for the development of the app, you will have to install a new provisioning profile.
When the app is ready for the AppStore, the developer will need to get from you a certificate that has been generated and signed by Apple for your company - without that certificate you will not be able to distribute the application under your name. So if you are not a registered iPhone developer this is something that you will need to do before the distribution in the AppStore.

Hope it helps,

Stéphane
TouchMatter
Give an app a chance with TapPerso 1.0 : TapPerso | TouchMatter
( Last edited by touchmatter; Jan 9, 2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Fixing the url in the signature)

Forum Links
Forum Rules