Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is WIRELESS keyboards and mouse ready for prime time?

Is WIRELESS keyboards and mouse ready for prime time?
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2003, 10:21 PM

Is buying a wireless mouse now a good idea or is it too early for it to be a realiable option.

-Do you have to replace the batteries all the time?

- Is it secure? I'm a writer and the fact that all my hard work might be flying through the air scares me. I dont' know how it would work though.

I mean is that a possibility?

- Just how does it work compard to wired mouse and keyboard?

No wires sound great, but paying over 100 dollars for wireless isn't so great.

If you stick with apple, closer to 200.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
Is buying a wireless mouse now a good idea or is it too early for it to be a realiable option.

-Do you have to replace the batteries all the time?

- Is it secure? I'm a writer and the fact that all my hard work might be flying through the air scares me. I dont' know how it would work though.

I mean is that a possibility?

- Just how does it work compard to wired mouse and keyboard?

No wires sound great, but paying over 100 dollars for wireless isn't so great.

If you stick with apple, closer to 200.
Logitech MX Duo: $59 lowest price (on Froogle)

- No, you don't. The mouse recharges, and I've yet to run out of keyboard juice.

- Secure? Well... not exactly iron clad, but the range is so short (no more than 15 feet) does it really matter? Do you honestly think someone is going to spend the dough, time, and effort to capture your words? You'd have to be a DAMN good writer...

- Exactly the same, except no tangles

- The answer is: don't stick with Apple

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2003, 12:31 AM

The Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboard is encrypted. It does require AA batteries, but reportedly the battery life is very good (several months with "average" use).

As mentioned above, non-bluetooth wireless keyboards generally have a very short range, so security is less of an issue. But if you are still concerned, use the Apple bluetooth model.

Many (if not all) Microsoft wireless mice require batteries. My Wireless Explorer chewed thru Duracells like there was no tomorrow. Dumped it for the rechargeable Logitech MX-700 and love it.

The Apple bluetooth mouse does take user-replaceable batteries (two AA, I think). Not sure how long they lasts. Of course, using an Apple mouse is a matter of personal preference (depending on how you feel about the one vs. multiple button debate).

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
The Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboard is encrypted. It does require AA batteries, but reportedly the battery life is very good (several months with "average" use).

As mentioned above, non-bluetooth wireless keyboards generally have a very short range, so security is less of an issue. But if you are still concerned, use the Apple bluetooth model.

Many (if not all) Microsoft wireless mice require batteries. My Wireless Explorer chewed thru Duracells like there was no tomorrow. Dumped it for the rechargeable Logitech MX-700 and love it.

The Apple bluetooth mouse does take user-replaceable batteries (two AA, I think). Not sure how long they lasts. Of course, using an Apple mouse is a matter of personal preference (depending on how you feel about the one vs. multiple button debate).
I don't know why someone would need 30feet or whatever it is... I need about one foot.... if that much... I have a very small desk... just figured wires hanging off the sides woudl be better without them, but that might just be me being picky...

But if I get the apple wireless mouse, the d-link DBT-170 adapter, can use any bluetooth mouse with that or only apples?

Thanks for all the help.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2003, 02:36 AM

From my understanding if you have any bluetooth adapter you can use any bluetooth device. Personally I use an older model Logitech wireless KB and wireless (optical) mouse. Range is decent (15ft) with the radio receiver and there is a battery meter for both the KB and mouse in the preferences. Only downside to my model is that there is no charger for the mouse but I don't mind. Oh yea, it was only about 30 bucks so there are definately cheap wireless options.

Forum Links
Forum Rules