Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which MacBook Pro config should I go for?

Which MacBook Pro config should I go for?
lizardgator
May 13, 2006, 07:18 PM

I have two 15” MacBook Pro configurations in my Apple Store cart but I’m only buying one. These are the choices

First: config.
2.16GHz Core Duo Processor
100GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Two 512mb dimms of ram (total ram 1GB)
Total $2,570

Second Config.
2.0GHz Core Duo Processor
100GB 7200rpm Hard drive
1GB ram (single dimm)
extra 1GB ram from newegg (total ram 2GB)
Total $2490

The first with the top of the line 2.16GHz processor but 1GB of ram costs $80 more than the second with the middle 2.0GHz processor with 2GB of ram. Which makes more sense to go for?
Prices are from the Apple EDU store and I’ve included the price of the extra 1GB ram in the second configuration. The 17” version is out as it is just too large.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by lizardgator
I have two 15” MacBook Pro configurations in my Apple Store cart but I’m only buying one. These are the choices

First: config.
2.16GHz Core Duo Processor
100GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Two 512mb dimms of ram (total ram 1GB)
Total $2,570

Second Config.
2.0GHz Core Duo Processor
100GB 7200rpm Hard drive
1GB ram (single dimm)
extra 1GB ram from newegg (total ram 2GB)
Total $2490

The first with the top of the line processor but 1GB of ram costs $80 more than the second with the middle processor but with 2GB of ram. Which makes more sense to get?
Prices are from the Apple EDU store and I’ve included the price of the extra 1GB ram in the second configuration. The 17” version is out as it is just too large.
I would go with the first config, but only get one 512 stick and get a 1GB stick from Newegg.

You can upgrade RAM in steps, you can't upgrade the processor. Get as much processor as you can right now and stick more RAM in as you can.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 07:27 PM

The first configuration looks good to me IMO. you can always upgrade the ram later but you can't upgrade the processor. Though I admit the 2.0Ghz I have is plenty fast for me.

lizardgator  (op)
May 13, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bryanmc
I would go with the first config, but only get one 512 stick and get a 1GB stick from Newegg.
You can upgrade RAM in steps, you can't upgrade the processor. Get as much processor as you can right now and stick more RAM in as you can.
Wish I could but there is no choice for just 512mb of ram.

pat++
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 07:41 PM

Get the second config. 0.16ghz wouldn't make any difference IMHO... and it's better to have more RAM, and it's cheaper.

Danoldo
May 13, 2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by pat++
Get the second config. 0.16ghz wouldn't make any difference IMHO... and it's better to have more RAM, and it's cheaper.
well, it WILL make a difference, whether it is noticable or not is dependant on the user

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2006, 11:22 PM

If your apps are CPU bound, take the 2.16 with the 1GB single and grab another 1GB as soon as you save up the $100.

bigmig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2006, 11:24 PM

2nd config definitely. 8% CPU speed bump is not noticeable. Double the RAM is very noticeable (I have a MBP with 2 GB and right now only 175 MB is free).

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2006, 01:42 AM

the first setup, for the reasons stated above, the processor can not be upgraded later down the road. it'll be money very well spent. as well, try and get it with the 1 gig stick of ram and get the second 1 gig stick later on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules