Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > George Carlin Dead at 71

George Carlin Dead at 71
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 12:58 AM

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 01:12 AM

Awwwww, BULLSHIT! Too soon!

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 01:19 AM

I've seen him live several times. Last time was in Vegas in September upon my return to the US. I have his audiobooks on the iPod/iPhone and still can listen and re-listen to them.

A true bummer. He might have lose some steam recently but he truly was one of the legends of comedy.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2008, 01:21 AM

Rip

Rumor
Jun 23, 2008, 01:22 AM

I've always enjoyed his stand up. It's a sad day for comedy.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2008, 01:53 AM

damn man
ice

flabasha
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2008, 02:56 AM

Oh man... that hospital's right down the street from me, too. Weird to think that I drove right by it this afternoon, and someone I really admired was in there reaching the end of his life.

RIP, supposed to be a great guy, definitely a great comedian, and the best ranter there was...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 03:01 AM

Funny till the end. Shame to see him go.

R.I.P.

I'm keeping him in my thoughts
…between "My ass hurts in this chair" and "let's fᴜck the waitress"
( Last edited by - - e r i k - -; Jun 23, 2008 at 03:08 AM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Atomic Rooster
Jun 23, 2008, 05:21 AM

This is definitely one person whose input I will really miss till I take my forever dirtnap.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 06:14 AM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 07:47 AM

Aw...

Piss
Mother****er
Tits

He'll be missed.
But not by the FCC.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 09:37 AM

Damn. And damn the FCC.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 09:42 AM

RIP George.

He was one of the funniest comedians I've ever had the pleasure of watching, mainly because he was SMART. He made you laugh, but at the same time, he made you THINK. A rare talent and one who will be missed.

Hope you finally found a place for all your "stuff" George.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 10:09 AM

He will be missed

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 10:16 AM

I read this this morning and was really saddened. George was really funny and will be missed.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2008, 11:00 AM

Forecast for the remainder of this week will be... dark.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 11:09 AM

Quitter
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 11:22 AM

George filmed one of his many HBO specials here in Phoenix at the Celebrity Theater.
45/47

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 23, 2008, 12:01 PM

I'm keeping him in my iPod for six more weeks.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 12:03 PM

Sad.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 12:19 PM

What a sad loss.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 12:27 PM

Damn, one of my favorite comedians, that's for sure. His stuff had dropped off a little in the past few years, you could really taste his anger and bitterness...but that's always what made him real.

Like stated above, he could make you both laugh and think about the absurdities of life with one breath. I'm going to dust off a few CDs I have by him and give a memorial listen tonight. I saw him front row about 5 years back in Providence. Great show, I'll definitely miss him.

iM@k
Senior User
Jun 23, 2008, 01:33 PM

Damm! One of my goals in life was to see him perform live.

The HBO show he did after 9/11 was one of my favorites.

In your honor George, I will let one rip that will take the paint off the walls while watching a hooker eat a banana flavored snow cone.
What, me worry?

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 04:06 PM

There goes my all time favorite comedian... I'm sad, but it's life. Saturday I was painting my apartment while listening to music. After a few songs, I felt like listening to some George Carlin, since it had been a long time. So while I was painting, I listened to Playin' With Your Head, You Are All Diseased, Complaints and Grievances and A Place for My Stuff. I truly enjoyed him. It's one of the few comedian I can listen over and over and I will continue to do so.

Thanks for all the laughter George! And if God really exists, I guess you'll have some explaining to do...
( Last edited by dlefebvre; Jun 23, 2008 at 08:37 PM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2008, 04:31 PM

I enjoy watching his shows.

He'll be missed.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

coreythemagnificent46
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Jun 23, 2008, 05:27 PM

He will be missed.. I got the pleasure of shaking his had at one of his shows.. Great Man.. and a great loss to us all

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 23, 2008, 06:08 PM

That really sucks =[

Rumor
Jun 23, 2008, 08:10 PM

George Carlin, the Grammy-Award winning standup comedian and actor who was hailed for his irreverent social commentary, poignant observations of the absurdities of everyday life and language, and groundbreaking routines like "Seven Words You Can Never Use on Television," died in Los Angeles on Sunday, according to his publicist, Jeff Abraham. He was 71.

The cause of death was heart failure, according to Abraham.

He finished a show at the Orleans in Las Vegas last week and was planning to take the month off to relax and work on a new book of essays and musings, Abraham said.

Mr. Carlin went to the hospital Sunday afternoon because "his heart just didn't feel right," the publicist said.

Mr. Carlin began his standup comedy act in the late 1950s and made his first television solo guest appearance on "The Merv Griffin Show" in 1965. At that time, he was primarily known for his clever wordplay and reminiscences of his Irish working-class upbringing in New York.

But from the outset, there were indications of an anti-establishment edge to his comedy. Initially, it surfaced in the witty patter of a host of offbeat characters like the wacky sportscaster Biff Barf and the hippy-dippy weatherman Al Sleet. "The weather was dominated by a large Canadian low, which is not to be confused with a Mexican high. Tonight's forecast ... dark, continued mostly dark tonight turning to widely scattered light in the morning."

Mr. Carlin released his first comedy album, "Take-Offs and Put-Ons," to rave reviews in 1967. He also dabbled in acting, winning a recurring part as Marlo Thomas' theatrical agent in the sitcom "That Girl" (1966-67) and a supporting role in the movie "With Six You Get Egg-Roll," released in 1968.

By the end of the decade, he was one of America's best-known comedians. He made more than 80 major TV appearances during that time, including the "Ed Sullivan Show" and Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show"; he was also regularly featured at major nightclubs in New York and Las Vegas.

'Living a lie'

That early success and celebrity, however, was as dinky and hollow as a gratuitous pratfall to Mr. Carlin. "I was entertaining the fathers and the mothers of the people I sympathized with, and in some cases associated with, and whose point of view I shared," he recalled later, as quoted in the book "Going Too Far" by Tony Hendra, which was published in 1987. "I was a traitor, in so many words. I was living a lie."

In 1970, Mr. Carlin discarded his suit, tie and clean-cut image as well as the relatively conventional material that had catapulted him to the top. Mr. Carlin reinvented himself, emerging with a beard, long hair, jeans and a routine that, according to one critic, was steeped in "drugs and bawdy language." There was an immediate backlash. The Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas terminated his three-year contract, and, months later, he was advised to leave town when an angry mob threatened him at the Lake Geneva Playboy Club. Afterward, he temporarily abandoned the nightclub circuit and began appearing at coffeehouses, folk clubs and colleges, where he found a younger, hipper audience that was more attuned to both his new image and his material.

By 1972, when he released his second album, "FM & AM," his star was again on the rise. The album, which won a Grammy Award as best comedy recording, combined older material on the "AM" side with bolder, more acerbic routines on the "FM" side. Among the more controversial cuts was a routine euphemistically entitled "Shoot," in which Mr. Carlin explored the etymology and common usage of the popular idiom for excrement. The bit was part of the comic's longer routine "Seven Words That Can Never Be Said on Television," which appeared on his third album "Class Clown," also released in 1972.

Arrested 7 times

The material seems innocuous by today's standards, but it caused an uproar when broadcast on the New York radio station WBAI in the early '70s. The station was censured and fined by the Federal Communications Commission. And in 1978, its ruling was supported by the Supreme Court, which Time magazine reported, "upheld an FCC ban on 'offensive material' during hours when children are in the audience." Mr. Carlin refused to drop the bit and was arrested several times after reciting it on stage.

Mr. Carlin released a half-dozen comedy albums during the '70s.He was chosen to host the first episode of the late-night comedy show "Saturday Night Live" in 1975. And two years later, he found the perfect platform for his brand of acerbic, cerebral, sometimes off-color standup humor in the fledgling, less restricted world of cable television.

By 1977, when his first HBO comedy special, "George Mr. Carlin at USC," was aired, he was recognized as one of the era's most influential comedians.

Mr. Carlin was born May 12, 1937, and grew up in the Morningside Heights section of Manhattan, raised by a single mother. After dropping out of high school in the ninth grade, he joined the Air Force in 1954. While in the Air Force, he started working as an off-base disc jockey at a radio station in Shreveport, La., and after receiving a general discharge in 1957, took an announcing job at WEZE in Boston.

From there, he went on to a job on the night shift as a DJ at a radio station in Fort Worth, Texas. Mr. Carlin also worked variety of temporary jobs, including a carnival organist and a marketing director for a peanut brittle.

In the '80s, he weathered serious tax problems, a heart attack and two open-heart surgeries. His greatest setback was the loss of his wife, Brenda Hosbrook, who died in 1997. They had been married for 36 years.

Mr. Carlin is survived by wife, Sally Wade; daughter Kelly Carlin McCall; son-in-law, Bob McCall; older brother, Patrick Carlin; sister-in-law, Marlene Carlin; and longtime manager, business partner and best friend Jerold Hamza.

Chronicle news services contributed to this report.
Source: GEORGE CARLIN: 1937-2008 / Comedian famed for pithy social critiques
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2008, 08:40 PM

…and yet Carlos Mencia and Dane Cook lives on

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 09:58 PM

thats a *********** mother****ing shame.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
Damm! One of my goals in life was to see him perform live.

The HBO show he did after 9/11 was one of my favorites.

In your honor George, I will let one rip that will take the paint off the walls while watching a hooker eat a banana flavored snow cone.
Is that online somewheres? I'd like to see it.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2008, 12:13 AM

How do you die of heart failure while your in a hospital and as skinny as George Carlin?

WirelessPro
Baninated
Jun 25, 2008, 09:51 AM

Very tragic event for comedy. He was my favorite comedian. I'm happy I got to see him live before he passed away.

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
How do you die of heart failure while your in a hospital and as skinny as George Carlin?
Drugs. He used to do A LOT of them.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
Originally Posted by WirelessPro View Post
Very tragic event for comedy. He was my favorite comedian. I'm happy I got to see him live before he passed away.

Drugs. He used to do A LOT of them.
Exactly, drugs, especially coke and amphetamines don't help.
My cardiologist told me that thin people die from a heart attack at a higher rate than fat people. They think all is well because their weight is fine but their cholesterol levels can be crap.
45/47

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2008, 03:32 PM

Seems HBO is going to air most of his shows now.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules