Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Honda CR-V vs. Toyota Rav4

Honda CR-V vs. Toyota Rav4
BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 02:52 PM

So, I am in the market for a small SUV (crossover). I'll be buying this car at the end of the month (July) and am interested in other people's view on these two. I have looked into other cars, but these two seem to fit my needs, but if you know of another car to look at please share. Essentially I need a large car (not a sedan) with over 20 mpg and no more than $30k. I had considered the Prius, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

To me, it seems like the CR-V and the Rav4 are essentially the same. The Toyota has a bigger engine (v6) and is a little bigger, but the Honda has a much nicer interior and is a little cheaper. I know some people don't care about the interior, but I do. I will be the one sitting in the car for a long time, so it needs to be somewhat nice. Also, I will not be doing any off roading and live in SoCal, so do you think AWD is necessary? It lowers the mileage by about 1 mpg for both cars.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 03:05 PM

Why can't you bring yourself to buy a Prius? If it meets all your qualifications, what's wrong with it? Why do you need an SUV in the first place? As you say, you won't be doing any off-roading, so are you going to be driving up to the mountains to ski or something? Have you considered a Subaru?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Why can't you bring yourself to buy a Prius? If it meets all your qualifications, what's wrong with it? Why do you need an SUV in the first place? As you say, you won't be doing any off-roading, so are you going to be driving up to the mountains to ski or something? Have you considered a Subaru?
Someone read my mind.

Does anyone know when cash first joined? We need to make that MacNN Act like cash68 Day.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 03:09 PM

which one comes with the biggest engine available with a stick shift?

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 03:11 PM

The Prius is much roomier that you might think. You should look at one in person.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

BigBadWolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I hate the way the Prius looks. I would love to have the 40+ mpg, but I do not like the Prius. I also looked at the Ford Escape hybrid (~30mpg), but it just felt cheap. The same holds true for the Subarus that I looked at. A friend of mine has a WRX and it is alright, but just very ugly to me. We all have our preferences, and mine is for the two cars that I mentioned.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 03:20 PM

i think he's more concerned with the "smug" emissions that a prius produces. he's narrowed it down to two cars, and needs help deciding between those TWO. stop trying to help.

Uncle Doof
Senior User

Just get over the "not a sedan" thing, grab a Grand Marquis and a pair of dark sunglasses. Pretend you've stashed a body in the trunk.

BigBadWolf  (op)
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
which one comes with the biggest engine available with a stick shift?
Can't get either with a stick in America. The Honda is a 4 banger and the Toyota has a v6. But the Toyota cannot have a Nav system in it. I know I can get one installed aftermarket, but I probably won't. So I will end up with a portable one that doesn't look as nice.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 03:24 PM

probably a useless post, but the last 4-cyl Rav4 I had was very underpowered and the economy wasn't that great for a 4.

I swapped it for a Mazda CX9, which I frickin love.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 03:32 PM

I would go for the CR-V. It will get much better gas mileage. You'll have to drive the Toyota with a very soft foot to be better than twenty. The CR-V will get over 20 even if you flog it. You don't need AWD. And I do like the CR-V's interior a lot better than the Toyota as well. Also, the CR-V with a 4 cylinder has a 5 speed auto, the 4 cylinder Toyota only has a 4 speed. Also the RAV4 has an optional third row, but less second row room then the CR-V. In my experience Honda seats stay comfy for longer than Toyota seats do, but I haven't been in either of these cars for an extended period of time. The CR-V EX-L is a very nice SUV IMO.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 03:34 PM

I prefer the CRV but I like them both. But I'd also buy used, and therefore spread my net a bit wider and consider the Subaru Forrester and Outback and a few others I'm forgetting.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 03:35 PM

I have the CR-V; love it. Great gas mileage (better than EPA estimate), and it's very versatile.
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 03:36 PM

The Forester is a good choice, but the AWD saps gas mileage and the base motor is fairly underpowered and sounds really cheap. The interior isn't up to the standards of the CR-V or RAV4.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I prefer the CRV but I like them both. But I'd also buy used, and therefore spread my net a bit wider and consider the Subaru Forrester and Outback and a few others I'm forgetting.
if you're going to toss those in, there's always the first xb.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 03:48 PM

I think Toyota's recent success has made them sloppy. They're putting old drivetrains in their cars because it's cheaper than developing new ones, and they know people will buy them anyway.

I'd go CR-V or CX9. Maybe look at a Nissan Murano as well, but those are terribly ugly.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 03:53 PM

The Prius looks like a Lamborghini that's really let itself go. Like you remember the Lamborghini from high school and the Prius shows up at the 20th reunion.

Anywho, my wife has a 2003 CRV and she loves it. It's her 3rd CRV in a row. It seems like a nice enough car. I'm not really a car guy, but the CRV meets all of our "larger car" needs. I will say that it's not super accommodating to tall folks. I'm 6'5" and I don't fit very well into the CRV. It's not really a problem until I drive it for more then an hour or two, and then it becomes very uncomfortable.

I fit much better in my old beat up Mazda Protoge, which is all the car I'll ever need. It has the ultimate feature... in that it's reliable and paid off. It's my perfect car.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

BigBadWolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Anywho, my wife has a 2003 CRV and she loves it. It's her 3rd CRV in a row. It seems like a nice enough car. I'm not really a car guy, but the CRV meets all of our "larger car" needs. I will say that it's not super accommodating to tall folks. I'm 6'5" and I don't fit very well into the CRV. It's not really a problem until I drive it for more then an hour or two, and then it becomes very uncomfortable.
That's how I always felt about the CRV and Rav4. I am 6'3" and always felt that they were too small. But the new models (2008) have grown. The interiors of both of the cars fit me very comfortably.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 04:30 PM

We drive a Mazda CX7 and like it a lot. The 4 cylinder turbo charged engine is easy on the gas (as long as you're easy on the pedal), it's comfortable enough for long distances (I am 6'7" and the seats accommodate me real well) and it pulls our trailer with ease. It's made in Japan, well build and put together. It's a little lower than the Honda and the Toyota, but that's fine with me. Cargo space is still huge, we've taken 8' 2x4s home in this car.

A friend of mine owns the Honda CRV and it feels cheap in comparison.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 9, 2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf View Post
That's how I always felt about the CRV and Rav4. I am 6'3" and always felt that they were too small. But the new models (2008) have grown. The interiors of both of the cars fit me very comfortably.
Last summer some friends and I took a road trip in a CR-V. I'm 6'5" and I was plenty comfortable in both the passenger and driver's seat for 8 hours each way. Even with me driving (not a particularly soft foot) it pulled 27mpg.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 05:20 PM

Whoa...

Why not get an Element? I love mine, and the mileage isn't bad at all.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 05:23 PM

Have you looked at the new VW Tiguan?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 05:39 PM

My mother in law has the Rav-4 and loves it. Personally, I think it is one of the most uncomfortable cars to be in. The back seat is cramped and had me sitting at awkward angles and driving it was no better since it likes to lurch forward. The controls aren't great, the vents are weird, it doesn't even have all that much space in the back.

I love Toyota, but unless the newer models are way better I would get the CR-V.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 9, 2008, 05:45 PM

This thread is no good without pics.

'cept Mastrap.

BigBadWolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
This thread is no good without pics.
Honda CR-V:

Toyota Rav4:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 06:56 PM

Another vote for the Mazda CX-series which has been getting critical acclaim...that is if you MUST have a compact SUV.

Personally If I need a sure-footed vehicle with plenty of oomph without the blah styling (of any small SUV) I'd opt for a Subaru. Preferably a Legacy GT.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 9, 2008, 07:00 PM

Honda wins. Nicer looking interior.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 07:16 PM

I have to say, I think I like the older "boxy" CRVs. But that CX7 looks nice.

What do people here think about the Pontiac Vibe - crappy or uncrappy?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 07:42 PM

I recommend the CR-V over the Rav 4. A fine automobile.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 09:03 PM

I'd also recommend the CX-7. I got to drive one for a loaner and didn't want to give it back!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 09:14 PM

I kinda likes what Mastrap's got there. I'm guessing the turbo, when utilized, will give a good punch too.

I really dislike Honda's standard exterior shots, like the one above. It's difficult to discern what their product would really look like in real-world lighting.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 9, 2008, 09:50 PM

I have to say, I think I like the older "boxy" CRVs. But that CX7 looks nice.

Crappy.

packet of krisps
Jul 9, 2008, 09:55 PM

Honda over Toyota any day.

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 10:46 PM

The brand new one or previous generation? I think both look better than the respective Matrix models (Toyota loves the add on ground effects). I saw the latest Vibe (AWD) on the road this week, and looked quite nice--doesn't have as much room as a CR-V/RAV4, but a solid two-person Costco runner. It's made at the same plant (NUMMI in CA) that makes Corollas and Tacomas, so quality should be quite good.

To the original poster, my sister has a CX-7 and loves it. Of the two you've mentioned: CR-V (for purely subjective reason that I've always preferred Hondas to Toyotas).
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2008, 10:50 PM

I'd go for the Escape Hybrid. Even though the doors are very light and such, it is not a cheaply made car. My friend's mom has a non-hybrid Escape that's 8 years old with 100,000 miles on it and it runs like a frickin TOP.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
Just get over the "not a sedan" thing, grab a Grand Marquis and a pair of dark sunglasses. Pretend you've stashed a body in the trunk.
As a 1998 Grand Marquis owner, I second this.

With my (90% highway) mixed driving, I get 25.5 MPG. Good thing: at night, I can cruise the left lane going 80, and drivers avoid me, thinking I'm a state trooper. Bad thing: In the day, drivers avoid me because they think I'm 80 years old and will drive them off the road.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2008, 11:29 PM

My wife and I love our CR-Vs so much that we own two. My '08 regularly gets 27mpg and is a very comfortable ride. On all interstate highway drives, I easily get 31mpg with the A/C off.

Honda has mastered 5-speed automatic, which is smooth and doesn't gear hunt. An advantage Honda has over Toyota is the drive-by-wire throttle. This keeps the throttle smoothly in sync with the transmission, so slight adjustments on the gas peddle don't rev the engine.

The interior on the '08 is very high quality and comfortable. If you spend alot of time in the car, splurging on the EX-L model is totally worth it. The intelligent air-conditioner in full auto mode keeps the cabin cool but doesn't drain fuel economy, win/win.

At $3.90/gal it costs a little over $40 dollars to fill it up. I regularly go over 300 miles on a tank, but I don't run mine to empty ever. Keeping your tire pressure above 35psi, drive with a sensible right foot, you can't go wrong with a Honda CR-V!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by BigBadWolf View Post
Can't get either with a stick in America. The Honda is a 4 banger and the Toyota has a v6. But the Toyota cannot have a Nav system in it. I know I can get one installed aftermarket, but I probably won't. So I will end up with a portable one that doesn't look as nice.
From what I have seen the best, most expensive built in NavSystem, costing $1000s, is no where as usable, versatile or accurate as the least expensive TomTom or Nuvi. I would never pay extra for a built in SatNav and even if a car I bought came with one I would still use my TomTom.

Unless some of the newer models have radically improved, it's like comparing Cable Company provided set-top boxes with a Tivo. Or Windows 3.11 with OS X.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of any built in Nav systems that don't completly suck when compared to after-market ones? I've used BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, Chrysler, Jeep (completly different than Chrysler) and Nissan and have been completely unimpressed with all.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 04:44 AM

Good call on the non Prius there! Horrible little pseudo eco-friendly piles of c**p. Whole life (including manufacturing) a Prius has TWICE the carbon footprint of a Land Rover Discovery.

I drove a friends RAV-4 off road in Kenya and was most surprised with how it coped. Obviously not a Land Rover or anything but the little car did good.

Not impressed with the CR-V.

Hope this helps - not that I expect you're thinking of offroading in Africa in your car.

Cipher13
Jul 10, 2008, 04:59 AM

Just an observation, but CR-V and Rav 4 drivers are the worst on the road.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Good call on the non Prius there! Horrible little pseudo eco-friendly piles of c**p. Whole life (including manufacturing) a Prius has TWICE the carbon footprint of a Land Rover Discovery.
I'd like to see your source on this. I googled and could not find any data supporting that claim.

What I did find however was evidence that the above statement is nothing more than an offshoot of the A Hummer has a lower carbon footprint than a Prius claim, which has since been thoroughly debunked.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Just an observation, but CR-V and Rav 4 drivers are the worst on the road.
One of them nearly rammed into my car this morning. Idiot swerved from the right into the left lane without making sure that there was nobody next to him.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I'd like to see your source on this. I googled and could not find any data supporting that claim.

What I did find however was evidence that the above statement is nothing more than an offshoot of the A Hummer has a lower carbon footprint than a Prius claim, which has since been thoroughly debunked.
It's actually true. If you search these forums for "Jeep Wrangler" posts by me (under my normal nick), you'll find a link to the study.

Oh. And a BMW M3 does more MPG than a Prius.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 09:01 AM

This appears to be the original report by CNW Marketing Research and this is a very thorough rebuttal by the Pacific Institute.

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2008, 09:15 AM

Oh. And a BMW M3 does more MPG than a Prius.
Really? Doesn't look even close.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

2008 BMW M3: 14 city, 20 hwy.
2008 Toyota Prius: 48 city, 45 hwy.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 09:21 AM

http://www.pacinst.org/
The Pacific Institute is a nonpartisan research institute that works to advance environmental protection, economic development, and social equity.
No bias there then.

http://www.pacinst.org/about_us/index.html
The Pacific Institute currently has three main programs of research: Water, Community Strategies for Sustainability and Justice, and Globalization.
Here's where I say "dirty commie tossers".

Anyone who can mix the words "sustainability" and "justice" into the same title probably needs to be shown to the guillotine.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Really? Doesn't look even close.
Watch last Sunday's Top Gear. Or was it the Sunday before that? I forget.
11x01, anyways.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 09:23 AM

That was the BMW diesel as far as I know, not the M3.

Edit:

Just read an article about that. Come on Doof, tell the entire story. As can be read here

Prius vs. BMW M3: The Test

Now the actual test: The Prius drove ten laps as fast as possible on a race-track, and the BMW trailed behind. It is so meaningless as to be funny. Much worse than Prius vs. Jeep Patriot Diesel.

Driving the Prius with the pedal to the metal (probably around 100 mph, a speed at which 99.99% of Priuses will never go - the exception is Al Gore Jr. who got caught doing over 100 mph) is taking away almost everything that makes the car fuel efficient. At that speed, electric motors don't help, regenerative braking doesn't help, and the stop-start anti-idling feature is useless. Only the low drag coefficient and low rolling-resistance tires are of use, but that is more than offset by the small 1.5 liter gasoline engine that has to hit RPMs way above its efficiency sweet spot.

On the BMW side, the M3 was designed to be driven fast on the German autobahns and its engine certainly wasn't breaking a sweat trying to keep up with the Prius.

So What Does 'Prius vs. BMW M3' Tell Us?
Well, if most of your driving is going to be done on a closed circuit racing track with the pedal to the metal, a Prius probably won't save you that much gas. If that's not the case, you can forget about this useless, misleading Top Gear segment. It would be good entertainment if they had explained why it's a flawed comparison, but they played it straight, so thumbs down.
That's just a typical Clarkson stunt - anything for cheap publicity. he should stick to the things that make Top Gear fun, like blowing up Ladas.
( Last edited by Mastrap; Jul 10, 2008 at 09:30 AM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2008, 09:25 AM

No bias there then.
It takes a bit more than that to discredit a source. So far I haven't found any evidence that they are indeed biased.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 10, 2008, 09:30 AM

That was the BMW diesel as far as I know, not the M3.

Just read an article about that. Come on Doof, tell the entire story.
Here ya go, why don't you watch it for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o63BOVlzhc

Either way, Mas, give it up. Your precious little eco crapboxes are a lie and you should have stuck with a Landy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules