Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Quick and dirty classic?

Quick and dirty classic?
dazzla
Senior User
Sep 9, 2002, 07:00 PM

I've got Jag installed, I've gotta do something quickly in OS 9 and I can't install from the CD without formatting.

I heard you can drag a folder from the OS 9 CD to you hard drive and Jag can use that. I tried dragging "system folder" to my HD but I got an error when classic was starting.

Can you in fact "install" classic this way?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2002, 10:56 PM

I've done it three times already so here is how you do this

1, Insert said classic disk and reboot from CD
2. Go through the options and choose clean install
3. Check options so that it doesn't update apple disk drivers
4. Choose necessary system software you want. I didn't want anything but a stripped down system folder so I unchecked everything and did a core system software install with Control Panels.

My system folder is now 66 Megs on one machine and about 150 on another. still need to pair some things down to fix that.
5. Reboot and eject said CD
6. Enjoy Jag with Base system folder installed
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

dazzla  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
I've done it three times already so here is how you do this

1, Insert said classic disk and reboot from CD
2. Go through the options and choose clean install
3. Check options so that it doesn't update apple disk drivers
4. Choose necessary system software you want. I didn't want anything but a stripped down system folder so I unchecked everything and did a core system software install with Control Panels.

My system folder is now 66 Megs on one machine and about 150 on another. still need to pair some things down to fix that.
5. Reboot and eject said CD
6. Enjoy Jag with Base system folder installed
When I restarted from the CD it didn't see my Hard drive, the only way I could get it to install was to format.

I didn't install the OS 9 Disk drivers at the install of Jag, that's why I thought I might be able ust to drag a folder to the hard drive, obviously not.

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2002, 07:55 AM

I uploaded my old system folder to a server prior to wiping my disk for my jag only install. I didnt install OS 9 disk drivers, which leaves the disk useless for OS 9 to boot from nativley.

After my jag install i simply dragged my old system folder down and deleted a bunch of crap out of it, the system folder boots classic normally,

It should be as easy as dragging it down and blessing the system folder, using the "Startup disk" control panel, select the system folder and simply press the red x in the corner, it will ask if you want to change the system folder, click change and quite system prefs.

(Remember, you *have* to go back into system prefs right afterwards other wise the next time u reboot it will look for a system folder that you cannot possibly boot from....) And you just try booting OS X from open firmeware... tedious if you dont know what device your disk is (disk0s2 was mine)

anyhow, that worked for me, you're milage may vary.

Telusman
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2002, 08:17 AM

ive installed classic this way, but i never tried booting into 9. i only used it as the classic environment...which is all i need it for. it works great for that.
i dont keep a classic folder on my computer. if i ever need classic, which i have not had to use in some time other than to reinstall appleworks after a jaguar clean install. this quick and dirty classic installation method works fine. just remember you have to have MacOS 9.1 for the classic environment to work.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

dazzla  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 08:23 AM

Here's the error I get:

The CD I have is the Mac OS 9 (9.2.2) that came with my FP iMac, can I not use that?

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2002, 08:28 AM

hmm...very strange. i assume that is what you are getting in Classic mode and not trying to boot into it.
hmmm.
never had that problem. it could be some sort of safe guard in 9.2.
i have an icebook and it came with a 9.1 disc. i just copied the system folder off that disk and onto the hard drive. launched classic like a charm.
are you using an actual MacOS Install disc or are you using a "System Restore" disc?
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

dazzla  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 08:30 AM

It's not the Restore disk, it's a disk labelled "iMac Mac OS 9 Install (Mac OS version 9.2.2)"

Seperate from the 4 restore disks I have.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by dazzla:
Here's the error I get:

The CD I have is the Mac OS 9 (9.2.2) that came with my FP iMac, can I not use that?
Dragging the system folder from a OS 9 boot CD will not work and you will get the alert above. I have tried various things to try and get it to work, to no avail.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2002, 09:04 AM

If you follow my instrutions it should work. i've done it 4 times now. did it again lastnight just to make sure. It works. If you can't see yoru drive you may want to run diskwarrior on it first then install 9.2.2. I have tried the Drag and drop method for the system folder and it DOESN'T work. So far the safest and best way to get Classic installed is to do it from said instructions
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

dazzla  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
If you follow my instrutions it should work. i've done it 4 times now. did it again lastnight just to make sure. It works. If you can't see yoru drive you may want to run diskwarrior on it first then install 9.2.2. I have tried the Drag and drop method for the system folder and it DOESN'T work. So far the safest and best way to get Classic installed is to do it from said instructions
Well it doesn't see my hard drive in any way, shape or form so I'll just format and install OS 9 then Jag

Forum Links
Forum Rules