Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > UT2k3 PC --> Mac

UT2k3 PC --> Mac
MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 02:09 PM

Well, I just retired my gaming PC, and have found that with most Windows game titles that have mac versions, I have been able to get the PC version working on my Mac (ala- Quake 3, RTCW, etc, you can download an update/file from the manuf. website that allows the use of the game data files from the PC Version, on a Mac). However, I have not found any information on doing this for UT2k3.

Seeing as 1) I purchased it for windows, 2) it is now useless as I have gotten rid of my PC, is there anything I can do to salvage its use on my mac?

-Mark

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 03:58 PM

go to the market place forum and see if someone will trade with you. Or sell it then buy the mac version.

Hydra
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by kpne1home:
go to the market place forum and see if someone will trade with you. Or sell it then buy the mac version.
I think the best you can do is to get UT2003 for $20 as seen on the front page of dealmac. That's pretty cheap for a current game like that.

-jerry C.

MarkLT1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
I think the best you can do is to get UT2003 for $20 as seen on the front page of dealmac. That's pretty cheap for a current game like that.

-jerry C.
Thanks guys.. Sounds like there is no way to use my Windows CDs, so I guess I will just buy it for 20 bucks from dealmac.

-Mark

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by MarkLT1:
Thanks guys.. Sounds like there is no way to use my Windows CDs, so I guess I will just buy it for 20 bucks from dealmac.

-Mark
I dunno know what you meant by using your CDs, but a patch has just been released that lets you run UT2k3 without the CD on macs. I don't know if this will help you any, but I hope it does, and good luck finding a Mac version. Let me know (I have UT2k3 for Mac) if you can't find anyone and I'll see if I can help you.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

MarkLT1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2003, 10:33 AM

xylon-

For Q3A, and RTCW, you can download the mac version of the application for free. This app, of couse, does not include any of the big data files (maps, textures, etc..) which are the same on the PC CDs as well as the Mac CDs. So, for those two games, I was able to download the Mac application from iD and Activision's website, then do an install, using my PC disks for the data (and my PC CD-keys for online play). And it worked great. However, it sounds like macplay is not giving this option for UT2k3.

-Mark

Originally posted by xylon:
I dunno know what you meant by using your CDs, but a patch has just been released that lets you run UT2k3 without the CD on macs. I don't know if this will help you any, but I hope it does, and good luck finding a Mac version. Let me know (I have UT2k3 for Mac) if you can't find anyone and I'll see if I can help you.

Hobeaux
Nov 3, 2003, 04:06 PM

well, if you're desperate for some UT2k3 see if you can find a friend with a Mac version and then use the latest patch on it -- this will disable the CD check. I only recommend this as you already own a copy. Otherwise look for a bargain bin copy or just fork out another 30-40bucks (which might not be a bad idea. helps the Mac sales figures).

Now, if you have enough patience to wait for Unreal Tournament 2004 to come out then do -- it will have all the UT2k3 maps included and it *may* be a simultaneous release and in the same box. If so, then you can have it on your Mac and PC without worry.
damn straight--or on the rocks, i'm not picky.

Forum Links
Forum Rules