Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Help hosting UT2003

Help hosting UT2003
RyanG3
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 03:11 AM

What's the steps I need to take to host an UT2003 game over the internet?

I've tried many times but my server never shows. I have the option to advertise turned on. I'm on cable for my connection, I'm able to connect to other servers. When I try hosting, if I turn on the LAN setting my server shows on the local network but not on the web network.
I'm running a Dual 2 gig G5. My friend has the same set up and same internet provider, I'm able to see his server, but unable to connect, I noticed his ping number is very low, is there away to improve ping??

Thank you for your time.

Lando Griffin
Nov 18, 2003, 04:01 AM

Whoever sets up the server has an IP number that you need to remember (somebody fill me in here on where to find it within the game). Plug in the IP to connect directly to the server to play. Since your friend's not in your local network range, LAN is ovbiously not an option. Unfortunately, you can't help alter your ping. The ping depends upon how the network is acting. During hours of less activity, it's very possible to get a real good ping for a fast game.
"And in other news, Lando Griffin, a popular student at a local high school, was killed last night when his motorcycle careened off Dead Man's Curve. Police were baffled when no body was found at the scene, but they decided it was best not to ask questions and just let everyone get on with their lives."

RyanG3  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 03:45 PM

Thanks Lando!

Yes, I'm not sure how to find the IP of the server when in the game. If I'm hosting I guess it would be my IP address plus 7777. Now where in the game can this be input? There is no obvious place to enter in a known IP address. Is it put in thru the command line and if so how??

Thanks for any help on this!!!

redJag
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 07:07 PM

I believe you can do it by clicking "Add Favorite," although I don't have the game to check.. People enter your IP when connecting to your server.
Travis Sanderson

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 07:11 PM

I believe it can be done through the command line as you suggested. I'm not sure of the codes, but I believe it something to the extent of:

connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx

where you replace the x's before the colon with the IP address and the x's after the colon with the specific port. There has to be some documentation about the specific commands online, so a google search may do some good.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

RyanG3  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 10:03 PM

Thank you redJag and xylon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules