Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Superdrive upgrade problem

Superdrive upgrade problem
vdao1972
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 02:59 AM

Hello,

I just upgraded my 12" 1.33 Powerbooks Superdrive from the Matsushita to the Pioneer DVR-K05 using the guide on iFixit - iBook & PowerBook Parts. I followed the instructions to the T but am having trouble with the Pioneer.
Upon powering up the PB and inserting a disc, it accepts it for a second, then spits out the disc. Do I have a defective drive? Also,is there anything software-wise I should be doing?
I read in another post that CompUSA does technical support. Is this something I should just pay them to fix or is it something so simple that I completely missed?
Thanks for reading this and I hope someone out there can help a poor helpless soul whose mission in life is to burn a DVD disc at 8X.....

Vinh

pcummins
Oct 16, 2006, 06:06 AM

Odd - check in your System Profiler to see if the drive is showing up and is detected properly. Also try some other discs in the drive to see what happens (ie, pressed ones, audio CDs, DVDs etc) to see if it's just that disc or something else. BTW - these drives (and all other laptop drives) are "up to" 8x burning. That means 5.5x in reality, I prefer to burn at 4x which is good enough for me.

vdao1972  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2006, 12:26 PM

The drive is recognized by the system and I tried different discs with no luck. Is there any way that the bracket is causing the problem?
If not, I will just ship it back to Centrix and have them give me a new one.

pcummins
Oct 17, 2006, 10:41 AM

Possibly - if you have an adaptor I'd try it in a PC first, otherwise maybe loosen the drive a tad with the top case to see if the keyboard is forcing the drive to malfunction from pressure.

vdao1972  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2006, 12:51 PM

Problem solved. Placing a screw in a certain hole will cause the drive to spit any disc that is inserted into the drive. Here is the link that centrix gave me:

http://www.centrix-intl.com/slimcomp...diskreject.htm

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

pcummins
Oct 18, 2006, 12:36 AM

Odd, usually the bracket is quite short (unless the screws have jumped around - I usually put them in the correct location/position again) to not cause the problem, but anyhow, glad to hear it's all OK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules