Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Method for small bevel in PS?

Method for small bevel in PS?
MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2007, 04:03 PM

Can anyone explain how I would make a very small 1-pixel bevel/chisel effect for a small icon on a button.

For an example- look at the iphoto buttons along the bottom bar. Look at the keywords button. See how the key has been "cut out" of the button?

I have some buttons I have made, as well as line art for my "symbols" (the cut out key in this example). I have been importing my line art into photoshop, then scaling it. I give it a dark grey background, and then have been trying to play with layer styles to get the effect I want. The problem is, when I do an "emboss" with a 1 pixel size, photoshop is creating an emboss effect that seems to be 2-3 pixels, so on these small icons, everything gets, well, muddled looking.

If anyone has had any experience they'd like to share with creating these 1 pixel beveled looks on small icons, Id really appreciate it! Thanks!

JIMY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
Can anyone explain how I would make a very small 1-pixel bevel/chisel effect for a small icon on a button.

For an example- look at the iphoto buttons along the bottom bar. Look at the keywords button. See how the key has been "cut out" of the button?

I have some buttons I have made, as well as line art for my "symbols" (the cut out key in this example). I have been importing my line art into photoshop, then scaling it. I give it a dark grey background, and then have been trying to play with layer styles to get the effect I want. The problem is, when I do an "emboss" with a 1 pixel size, photoshop is creating an emboss effect that seems to be 2-3 pixels, so on these small icons, everything gets, well, muddled looking.

If anyone has had any experience they'd like to share with creating these 1 pixel beveled looks on small icons, Id really appreciate it! Thanks!
Blending Options/ bevel , emboss this should be in the help guide also.. You can specify the pixels with emboss. from there it's self explanitory. It does get muddy for me too. Alternately, have you considered importing your "button" into Illustrator instead? good luck
( Last edited by JIMY; Jan 30, 2007 at 04:41 PM. )

MarkLT1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JIMY View Post
Blending Options/ bevel , emboss this should be in the help guide also.. You can specify the pixels with emboss. from there it's self explanitory. It does get muddy for me too. Alternately, have you considered importing your "button" into Illustrator instead? good luck
Blending Options/ bevel, emboss is what I have been doing. I am trying to avoid the muddiness, and get a nice, crisp bevel, but at those kind of sizes, it seems to be impossible.

To be honest, I am pretty good at making line-art in illustrator, but have never gone beyond that. So I'd have no idea where to even start doing the bevel in illustrator.

Thorzdad
Jan 30, 2007, 11:36 PM

Well, since all you want is a one-pixel bevel, I'd simply use the marquee tool and highlight a one-pixel-wide border on the "light" side of the image and do a brightness adjustment. Then marquee the "dark" side of the image and drop the brightness.

At one pixel, you aren't going to have to be real exact or perfect. Just fudge it enough to be convincing.

Thorzdad
Jan 30, 2007, 11:44 PM

Sorry...it's late and I didn't read your post completely. Ignore my post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules