Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Electronic signature capture

Electronic signature capture
aitala
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2007, 11:57 AM

Hey,

Has anyone ever seen a method/hack to capture signatures electronically (like at a checkout counter) on a Mac using an LCD touchscreen system?

I've seen several vendors who sell the devices - some say they are Unix/Linux compatible - but none with explicit Mac support..

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Eric Aitala - [email protected]
Programmer / PSU ITS - ASET
814-865-0845

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by aitala View Post
Hey,

Has anyone ever seen a method/hack to capture signatures electronically (like at a checkout counter) on a Mac using an LCD touchscreen system?

I've seen several vendors who sell the devices - some say they are Unix/Linux compatible - but none with explicit Mac support..

Thanks in advance,

Eric
I'd try and find out what Apple is using. There are plenty of POS systems that run on Mac OS X, but the hardware accessories are a different story. I just took a gander and, while I could find credit card swipers and receipt printers, I couldn't find any of the electronic touch-screen kind that'll store the signature digitally.

Seems to me it'd be up to the software. I'd just call support for various POS providers and see if they support such devices.
( Last edited by olePigeon; May 18, 2007 at 01:19 PM. )
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

pcummins
May 22, 2007, 01:25 AM

Check Wacom out, they have some pen-enabled displays (15, 17") which may suit. For more work you can also check Wacom Components to build your own custom display similar to the MacBook converted to a tablet.

aitala  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2007, 04:12 PM

Well, we are using Wacoms right now, but we want smaller (1x5) pen displays like the ones Topaz Systems has... I have one of their non-LCD USB ones. My PB can see it but the pad does nothing.

Even tried loading other companies software... nothing..

Eric

Originally Posted by pcummins View Post
Check Wacom out, they have some pen-enabled displays (15, 17") which may suit. For more work you can also check Wacom Components to build your own custom display similar to the MacBook converted to a tablet.

Eric Aitala - [email protected]
Programmer / PSU ITS - ASET
814-865-0845

Forum Links
Forum Rules