Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MacPro 7300GT Firmware Update

MacPro 7300GT Firmware Update
MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2007, 12:27 PM

So Apple posted the firmware update, and is asking everyone to install it.

Has anyone been able to get it to install? I run the installer, and get a message "This computer does not need this update" on my MacPro 3ghz, with NV 7300GT vid card. Any ideas?

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 01:46 PM

The firmware update only applies to MP made before a certain date - it update the ROM ver to 3008 and the Revision ID to 0x00a1. If you bought your MP in December (like mine) then it already has the updated version on it.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 04:49 PM

Does anyone know what the heck this update does? I didn't see anything wrong with my 7300GT card at all before... do I REALLY need this update? I believe my Mac Pro is since before December (I got it refurbished).

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2007, 04:59 PM

I just read a post by someone on MacUpdate.com that said that after the 7300GT Firmware update, the amount of RAM being used is has shrunk by almost 50% of what it is normally! I noticed that my RAM usage on a fresh install is about 500MB on my Mac Pro but, only about 250MB on the G5 I use at work. I'm interested in finding out if it's actually the cause of all that RAM usage for nothing. Great!

Read the comment here: Apple GeForce 7300 GT Firmware Update 1.0 - MacUpdate

Edit: If you're lazy then read this below:
Taken from MacUpdate.com
"Just installed this less than thirty minutes ago, and so far no problems. On a side note, while this may not happen for others, it seems that my RAM footprint has shrunk significantly, just slightly more than half of my usual footprint."

rotuts
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 06:31 PM

my info on the 7300 GT reads this way:

revision: 0x00a1

ROM version 3004

Im reluctant to upgrade until I really know what this does.

any further ideas?

im also looking to see how this thread goes

cheers
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 09:42 PM

I bought my MacPro a couple hours after it was announced and had ROM Revision 3004. I updated it to 3008 but no noticable difference. No harm either.

MarkLT1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2007, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by tkmd View Post
The firmware update only applies to MP made before a certain date - it update the ROM ver to 3008 and the Revision ID to 0x00a1. If you bought your MP in December (like mine) then it already has the updated version on it.
Thats the strange thing- my Mac Pro was purchased in August. I'll have to look at what ROM version I have, but I wouldn't think its that recent..

MarkLT1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2007, 11:11 AM

Just got into the office- and it turns out, my MacPro DOES have the 3008 ROM. I would have figured, a MacPro purchased in August would not.. go figure.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 12:31 PM

Yeah -- odd. I purchased mine in November and got a second 7300 from a Mac Pro purchased in October (I think) and both needed to be updated.

In any case, no complaints here.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Forum Links
Forum Rules